Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y hitch receiver tolerance.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My X (as well as my former Jeeps) will rattle if I don’t have enough tongue weight. If I can lift it by hand, at all, it’s not enough. Too much rattle is a reminder I need to rebalance.

Although OP looks pretty good in the photos posted.

Attachments

• IMG_8961.JPG
    IMG_8961.JPG
    840.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_8962.JPG
    IMG_8962.JPG
    445.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_8963.JPG
    IMG_8963.JPG
    593.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Reactions: justlikeyours
I don't tow with my Y, but I used to tow all the time with a previous vehicle. I used a structural hex head bolt, lock nut and plate washers to attach the trailer to the hitch. This allowed me torque it all down, which greatly reduced the rattles from the tow setup. Did this for many years both pulling trailers and carrying motorcycles on a hitch with no issue.

I use our Y for transporting bikes (Thule Camber 4 bike). My receiver is about 2 1/16". The shank of my rack is 2" and has a lot of up-down movement when installed. Anyone successfully use any of the below products, or have good results with DIY shim jobs (like inserting strap ties between shank and receiver)? I don't want to buy something just to find that I can't fit it, or a wrench to secure it, into the limited space around the receiver.

I got the factory installed tow package on my model Y. I have tried 4 different hitches and all of them are so sloppy lose that they bounce up and down inside the receiver. So when I hit bumps my trailer slams up and down along with the hitch and it is really loud and can't be good for the equipment on the car side or the trailer side. Anyone else notice this? View attachment 641279 View attachment 641281
totally normal. if you had a combo that was tight before, it's someone dumbluck stackup 9f tolerances. iirc, a typical 2" hitch is something like 2.12 +/- .05". and the shank of your trailer / accessory obviously needs to deal with being on the small side of that tolerance, and it has its own tolerances, so....

I installed the DrawTite hitch and also experienced looseness with my cargo rack. I used several coats of spray truck bedliner to decrease clearance and cushion the rattle. Worked well for 1k mi trip I just completed. I can always spray additional coats as it wears off