Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got my appointment for install at the service center after they cancelled the mobile appointment. Unfortunately, they discovered they couldn't install without ordering additional parts (likely the ones referenced unthread). They claim it's because my Y is an earlier build and that more recent builds are configured to be able to install the hitch as shipped. In any case, this has been a frustratingly long process for what should be a simple accessory install.

Advice to those planning to have the hitch installed: contact the service center to be sure they will have all needed parts on hand before you bring your car in for the install.

Same here, they did not have correct parts? We ordered day one the hitch showed up on the web. Customer support said all good, service said all good at drop off and texted two hours later saying they did not have the correct parts. No information given to me to show what parts ordered. No eta given.

Ordered hitch on 7/17. Arrived at Sarasota SC on 8/4 and earliest mobile appt was 8/25 (today). Mobile rep (who was really good) was told that somehow I had the hitch. Nope, it's still in Sarasota 80 miles away as that's the only place Tesla will ship it. Also, because I have an earlier build date (May), I need another part for the hitch which the rep ordered. After multiple attempts I finally reached someone at Sarasota SC and told them I am driving up there Thursday to get it. Now I get to wait again for another appt. He did, at least, install homelink which only took about 15 minutes. I had also done an edit on the service appt two weeks back requesting a heat pump acoustic cover. No one knew anything about that.

Same here, they did not have correct parts? We ordered day one the hitch showed up on the web. Customer support said all good, service said all good at drop off and texted two hours later saying they did not have the correct parts. No information given to me to show what parts ordered. No eta given.

My MY has been in service since 8.18 to clean up delivery issues, but I asked them to install the hitch I ordered 7.26 and Tesla told me arrived there ten days earlier. My Service Guy, who is a decent sort, vanished to the back of the SC for ten minutes, returned, and told me a receiver hitch component is missing and on back order. He said it may take months. It is all terribly confusing.

Oh man, this sounds like a delayed story again for the hitch just like the delivery. I just placed an order for the hitch and bought a popup camper assuming I can use it before winter is here pulling it using the Tesla.

Did anyone get their hitch installed at Tesla after delivery ? I may just go ahead and cancel the hitch order and pull the camper using my other car. This is crazy.

I have a MY (7.8.19 build date 20xxx) and visited my SC yesterday. I had paid $1200.00 plus tax 7.26.20 for the add-on tow hitch via Tesla.com. They researched and told me the missing receiver hitch part -- which prevents installation -- would be unavailable until November. :eek:

Model Y tow package is back in stock.

I called Renton and Bellevue SCs to find if they installed a tow package on another car and both said yes. I placed an online order on 9.3.20 and picked Renton for delivery.

Took a mobile service appointment for 9.16 hoping I can switch to service center appointment by calling Tesla Renton.

Today I called the Renton SC and they said they have a couple of hitches sitting in the store and get me in tomorrow for the installation if I'd like. It seemed unbelievable! I inquired further if the wiring for a 7 point connector will be installed to tow a small camper. The person on the phone said "You can hitch bikes". I pushed back a bit, saying "The online thing says Tow package", he looked at something and came back and acknowledged and let me know there will be a firmware update. I am not too confident at this point that this will be done tomorrow.

But if it does, I bought a used popup camper (Full Specs for 2008 Fleetwood Destiny Taos RVs | RVUSA.com) and it's ready to go! Here's to hoping that I don't get stuck in WA mountains with a car out of charge with a box attached. :)

Hi,
Just picked up my Model Y Performance yesterday - no defects! Except for the lousy hitch cover design.
Has anyone found a locking pin for this hitch? I can get a simple pin with a cotter pin in fine but I've tried several locking pins and there is not enough room to get the lock/key in.

I picked up my MY this week with the hitch option. Was told by my delivery person the hitch didn’t come with the car and I had to schedule a service to install it. When I did, service said, remove the dust cover and your hitch is there and Eureka it was!! It is a very solid 2” receiver.

My only issue is this; the dust cover is really difficult to remove but when it is, the bumper cover looks like something is missing. On most of my cars with hitches, the trim area around the hitch is finished and the receiver is exposed all of the time. It is an SUV I don’t mind having the hitch showing. I think that Tesla should either make the dust cover easier to remove and reinstall or provide a trim piece to “dress” the opening so you can take the cover off and have the hitch exposed. It does seem if I leave the cover off street crud will collect in the area below the hitch as it doesn’t seem to have anywhere to go.
I had a Tesla Hitch installed. Tesla Tech, when he showed me how to remove cover, left significant divits in facia and broke one tab on cover. Not impressed with the cover. Have similar cover system on Loncoln, no problems putting pn and off. Tesla has a bad system. Needs to improve it. PS: Love my MY Dual LR.

Thanks, yep. Finally dug up a video that laid it out. So in my use case of a bike rack and occasionally a cargo rack - the tow feature seems unnecessary vs an aftermarket hitch.
I just towed a 1500lb utility trailer to the recycling yard and tried with/without activating Towing Mode and it made zero difference. This is on a Model Y performance. i did get some funny looks from the guys on the bulldozers - probably those 21" wheels....

• Funny
Reactions: Koolio46
How do you use a trailer's pin wiring harness to hook up to that electrical device for wiring Tesla put in? Am I missing an adapter? I agree the plastic cover, like much of the workmanship on the panels, is horrible. I'm confused how to hook up my trailer's pin wiring harness to the Tesla factory installed tow hitch wiring. Thanks

Hi,
Just picked up my Model Y Performance yesterday - no defects! Except for the lousy hitch cover design.
Has anyone found a locking pin for this hitch? I can get a simple pin with a cotter pin in fine but I've tried several locking pins and there is not enough room to get the lock/key in.
I have this one and it works great! I have the Stainless Steel 2.75" version and the Tesla factory hitch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AXY62/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1