Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y horrible paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That makes me feel better that it's not a newer build.. at the same time I'm disappointed that Tesla had kept this car for a year surely knowing of the defect and why the car was rejected/returned and never bothered to fix it. Tesla recently started selling used Model Y and I always wondered what happened to the many returns while the 7-day return period was still around. Good luck on fixing the issue but you might want to press on them to comp you on getting a full car wrap or do that at your expense if cost is not a problem. Trust me, a repaint is not a good solution.
Interesting. Never thought about doing a full wrap. Would that be a red flag when I sell/trade in the car later?

Interesting. Never thought about doing a full wrap. Would that be a red flag when I sell/trade in the car later?
I can't speak to its impact when you sell/trade. That's likely your best route if you choose to keep the car. It might be an upsell for a private sale. On the other hand, removing a full wrap involves long hours of labor, and could peel off paint (early Model Ys had paint peeling issues particularly on front bumpers especially during PPF installation)

Here's a wild idea- consider filling in this form Trade-in | Tesla and see what trade-in estimate you get. If you sign in with your Tesla account, it would have all the information. If that gets you something close to (or higher value?) than your purchase price, consider a trade-in for a 2021.

Discount was decent. ~53k. Hopefully they'll fix everything
That's a $7K discount from the current MYP, which of course has some features that your "stealth" MYP does not. Time will tell if your purchase was wise, but at least you don't have to worry about the first year depreciation if new.

Still, I would be very vocal at getting Tesla to fix this.

By the way, did they disclose the car was a buy-back? IF the car was returned due to patently defective paint, this may trigger the requirement of a disclosure that it was a buy-back and why. This one is a bit of an edge case as to whether the disclosure requirement exists because if the original owner simply didn't like it, obviously that would not trigger the disclosure. And of course, you'll probably never know why it was sitting around for a year.

That's a $7K discount from the current MYP, which of course has some features that your "stealth" MYP does not. Time will tell if your purchase was wise, but at least you don't have to worry about the first year depreciation if new.

Still, I would be very vocal at getting Tesla to fix this.

By the way, did they disclose the car was a buy-back? IF the car was returned due to patently defective paint, this may trigger the requirement of a disclosure that it was a buy-back and why. This one is a bit of an edge case as to whether the disclosure requirement exists because if the original owner simply didn't like it, obviously that would not trigger the disclosure. And of course, you'll probably never know why it was sitting around for a year.
No I didn't get any disclosures

I can't speak to its impact when you sell/trade. That's likely your best route if you choose to keep the car. It might be an upsell for a private sale. On the other hand, removing a full wrap involves long hours of labor, and could peel off paint (early Model Ys had paint peeling issues particularly on front bumpers especially during PPF installation)

Here's a wild idea- consider filling in this form Trade-in | Tesla and see what trade-in estimate you get. If you sign in with your Tesla account, it would have all the information. If that gets you something close to (or higher value?) than your purchase price, consider a trade-in for a 2021.
Looks like KBB trade in value is pretty good. Not sure how accurate it is. Anyways I'm waiting for a response from SC.