Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Horsepower

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have checked the specs and can’t find any reference to horsepower for the model Y. I have found other websites with varying numbers from 400 to 600. Does any one know what the hp rating for the AWD version is?

Assuming it's the same as Model 3, LR AWD (no Boost) is about 335 kW or 450 hp.

HYNPi0i.png

Courtesy of u/Wugz on reddit: Model 3 AWD+ (w/Accel. Boost) - Power vs. Speed vs. State of Charge : teslamotors

Reactions: TomB985
Motor Trend in a recent review says the Dual Motor Y:

"Starting at $54,190, it sports a front and rear motor that combine to make 384 hp and 376 lb-ft of torque. The combo is good for an EPA-estimated 316 miles of range and an impressive 4.6 second 0-60 mph time."

They said the Performance Y:

Starting at $62,190, it gets a combined 456 hp and 497 lb-ft of torque and has a 315-mile EPA-estimated range.

So I bought a Model Y LR thinking it had 385hp based on reputable car review websites. Online I keep finding Certificate of Orgin which states Tesla Model Y Long Range Dual Motor is 449 hp. Since Tesla is known to over exaggerate things such as vehicle range, any way to confirm which number is accurate? I am assuming Tesla claims 449 hp and Car and Driver Dyno tested the model Y long range and it only achieves 385hp?

Attachments

• 9363661C-228B-4925-867B-F9C5639A89D5.jpeg
    9363661C-228B-4925-867B-F9C5639A89D5.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 1,263
So I bought a Model Y LR thinking it had 385hp based on reputable car review websites. Online I keep finding Certificate of Orgin which states Tesla Model Y Long Range Dual Motor is 449 hp. Since Tesla is known to over exaggerate things such as vehicle range, any way to confirm which number is accurate? I am assuming Tesla claims 449 hp and Car and Driver Dyno tested the model Y long range and it only achieves 385hp?
Maybe 449 with the acceleration boost?

Both could be right. It depends on which HP you are referring to. The listing for 449hp could be referring to brake horsepower, basically the power output of the motor before any drive train losses (transmission, wheel, etc). The 385hp would be the HP at the wheels after the drive train losses.

Mountain Pass Performance did a video on the MYP that showed 500hp to the wheels (heard that said in the commentary).

If rated the same as ICE cars you should add about 15-20% as ICE cars loose a bit at the crank, flywheel etc. So 600hp (500whp) for the MYP.
Scan My Tesla shows the MYP as 627hp at the motors. For my LR Y with the acceleration boost, 510hp.

Reactions: derichio02
I'm actually trying to figure out how much horsepower my MYP makes right now with Scan my Tesla...with about 78% charge and 60 degree battery temp my Max Discharge Power is 293KW (about 400 HP) available but I assume that number will change based on the battery temperature etc... I just started monitoring it so I'm not sure what it should be but that seems low. A Dragy run did net me a 0-60 in about 3.6 seconds (with rollout) but then it only trapped 101mph and it did feel like the car fell on its face in the top end.

Last edited:
I'm actually trying to figure out how much horsepower my MYP makes right now with Scan my Tesla...with about 78% charge and 60 degree battery temp my Max Discharge Power is 293KW (about 400 HP) available but I assume that number will change based on the battery temperature etc... I just started monitoring it so I'm not sure what it should be but that seems low. A Dragy run did net me a 0-60 in about 3.6 seconds (with rollout) but then it only trapped 101mph and it did feel like the car fell on its face in the top end.
What are the front and rear motors showing?

What are the front and rear motors showing?
Thx for the response and good question. I need to go do some test runs. Unfortunately right now its 30 degrees out here so that's a no go with the performance tires on the car. I'm just figuring out Scan My Tesla and see that I can actually log a run so that should help me understand what is going on - if anything.

I was able to get 250KW out of the rear and 170KW from the front for a total of 420KW...which equals 563 HP. That said that was only on a 0-60 run so I'd be interested to see what the motors are doing at higher speeds.
I found the power peak and flatten between 50-75 mph, so I don't think higher speeds will increase them further. But, that's on my LR Y with the acceleration boost. The power curve of the 980 motors could be different.

What was the SoC and battery pack temp? I did all my testing with the battery packs between 75-86F, SoC ranging from 69-86%. Less power when the battery wasn't warm and less power as the battery SoC drops.

Reactions: DC2ACMY
I found the power peak and flatten between 50-75 mph, so I don't think higher speeds will increase them further. But, that's on my LR Y with the acceleration boost. The power curve of the 980 motors could be different.

What was the SoC and battery pack temp? I did all my testing with the battery packs between 75-86F, SoC ranging from 69-86%. Less power when the battery wasn't warm and less power as the battery SoC drops.
The battery pack was only 65deg F and the SOC was around 76%. I'll have to try it again once the pack is warmer.