Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Horsepower

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What parts did you get to set this up? I have a Y LR and want the HP, 0-60 and battery info 🙂
I bought the OBD Link MX+ from Amazon but there are multiple sources for this. It works on both Android and iOS.
The harness I purchased from GPS Tracking America. It comes in from Canada, so it took about 2-2.5 weeks: HRN-CT20T11 | Geotab GO | Geotab Adapters | GPS Fleet Tracking
You'll need the Scan My Tesla app. If you have iOS, I believe it's listed as Scan My T3sla.
Cost is about $140 for everything.

This is a good video/overview on the app:

1619009198953.png

Reactions: LibertyEV
The battery pack was only 65deg F and the SOC was around 76%. I'll have to try it again once the pack is warmer.
Yeah, I think you can squeeze out a little more if the pack is at least 10F warmer. What I've done in the past is put in the closest supercharger in the NAV to get the preconditioning process started. This is what I've done for testing out the Dragy GPS app, along with getting the motor output from the SMT app.

If you haven't done it already, a custom tab is really helpful to monitor what you find important because there are a lot of fields in the other tabs. This is what I have setup, but I'm constantly tweaking it. I use the battery inlet and cell temp mid fields often to see what's going on with the battery pack temps.

If you haven't noticed yet, you can also single tap the F Power , F Torque, R Power, R Torque field and it'll highlight as tan. It'll show the peak value. Good for this type of testing since you don't have to watch the app. You can also log the data (hit the red button on the lower right) and it'll create a CSV file.
1619009842855.png

Attachments

• 1619009696698.png
    1619009696698.png
    37 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: DC2ACMY
Yeah, I think you can squeeze out a little more if the pack is at least 10F warmer. What I've done in the past is put in the closest supercharger in the NAV to get the preconditioning process started. This is what I've done for testing out the Dragy GPS app, along with getting the motor output from the SMT app.

If you haven't done it already, a custom tab is really helpful to monitor what you find important because there are a lot of fields in the other tabs. This is what I have setup, but I'm constantly tweaking it. I use the battery inlet and cell temp mid fields often to see what's going on with the battery pack temps.

If you haven't noticed yet, you can also single tap the F Power , F Torque, R Power, R Torque field and it'll highlight as tan. It'll show the peak value. Good for this type of testing since you don't have to watch the app. You can also log the data (hit the red button on the lower right) and it'll create a CSV file.
View attachment 655656
Thanks I appreciate the advice! I did create a custom tab and after staring at your previous screen post I realized Max and Min values were recorded so that is how I calculated the max power output. I'm assuming some amount less than that makes it to the wheels as there is a gearbox in the middle but at least there's know actual transmission so losses should be pretty low. I definitely want to try and log the CSV values so I can see what output is doing throughout the run. I'll be pretty disappointed if the car only traps 101 but I do realize Tesla's are primarily low end torque. That and I've seen quite a few 1/4 mile runs in the 114 range so hopefully I can get there...

Reactions: pt19713
Thanks I appreciate the advice! I did create a custom tab and after staring at your previous screen post I realized Max and Min values were recorded so that is how I calculated the max power output. I'm assuming some amount less than that makes it to the wheels as there is a gearbox in the middle but at least there's know actual transmission so losses should be pretty low. I definitely want to try and log the CSV values so I can see what output is doing throughout the run. I'll be pretty disappointed if the car only traps 101 but I do realize Tesla's are primarily low end torque. That and I've seen quite a few 1/4 mile runs in the 114 range so hopefully I can get there...
You should trap 112-114mph. I'm trapping at 107 in my LR with boost. I'll be testing again since I'm putting on lighter wheels.

Reactions: DC2ACMY
I did some logging with Scan My Tesla and got some interesting results. I don't have RPM on the X axis unfortunately (it's time). If you look at the Front and Rear power there is a huge dropoff in power (blue line at the bottom of the graph) in the front motor around 50-55 MPH which slowly comes back. Temps were all stable so I can't really figure it out or maybe that is what it should be doing? Any thoughts on what I should be seeing?

This run was [email protected] with a 2s 60 ft (0-60 was around 4 seconds probably due to traction) Outside temp was 60 and the battery pack was around 85 deg.

tesla HP curves.jpg

Reactions: pt19713
On my certificate of origin it says 449 hp SAE
Ordered a Model Y LR on January 18th 2023. Another Forum friend Ordered his Model YLR on Jan 14th 2023. He received the car very quickly.

His Certificate of Origin lists the Horsepower at 362.

This likely due to using TWO 3D3 motors (a guess)

Ordered my car on specs alone. Almost all of the online specs listed for the 2023 MYLR list 450 HP

I am concerned that My car will arrive with the MUCH lower HP.

90 HP less on the Certificate of Origin IS a Big deal ...

Mine arrives @362 HP Will likely be enough to refuse the vehicle.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: DanDi58
Ordered a Model Y LR on January 18th 2023. Another Forum friend Ordered his Model YLR on Jan 14th 2023. He received the car very quickly.

His Certificate of Origin lists the Horsepower at 362.

This likely due to using TWO 3D3 motors (a guess)

Ordered my car on specs alone. Almost all of the online specs listed for the 2023 MYLR list 450 HP

I am concerned that My car will arrive with the MUCH lower HP.

90 HP less on the Certificate of Origin IS a Big deal ...

Mine arrives @362 HP Will likely be enough to refuse the vehicle.
My Cert of Original also lists 362 for a 2023 produced Fremont Dec 2022.

My Cert of Original also lists 362 for a 2023 produced Fremont Dec 2022.
My attitude on this has changed. I Want and do Need the Car.

Still wonder whether 362 HP will actually run 4.8 second 0-60 MPH . ??

Cars are delivered with motors which have different ratings.

It could be Tesla just adjusts the software to whichever motor is installed to be even.

Then again why declare different SAE HPs the same model vehicle with the same claimed performance figures.

This being the Only document tied to a particular vehicle with SAE HP in writing.

My attitude on this has changed. I Want and do Need the Car.

Still wonder whether 362 HP will actually run 4.8 second 0-60 MPH . ??

Cars are delivered with motors which have different ratings.

It could be Tesla just adjusts the software to whichever motor is installed to be even.

Then again why declare different SAE HPs the same model vehicle with the same claimed performance figures.

This being the Only document tied to a particular vehicle with SAE HP in writing.
Horsepower has absolutely no relationship, in any way, to a car's 0-60 acceleration time. HP in an EV is almost a meaningless metric, because few drivers would ever come close to peak HP in an EV. The only metric that matters is torque and the rate it which the car's motor controller ramps-up torque and holds it as you accelerate. So, as long as the car has around its original 376 lb-ft of torque, it should easily be capable of its 4.5 second 0-60 run.

Horsepower has absolutely no relationship, in any way, to a car's 0-60 acceleration time. HP in an EV is almost a meaningless metric, because few drivers would ever come close to peak HP in an EV. The only metric that matters is torque and the rate it which the car's motor controller ramps-up torque and holds it as you accelerate. So, as long as the car has around its original 376 lb-ft of torque, it should easily be capable of its 4.5 second 0-60 run.
Well never owned an electric except for our Golf cart.

Never even sat in a Tesla let alone driven one., But Very Much looking forward to it.

I do understand torque. It is the moment of force applied at a distance.
HP is rate of work done
Torque is measured... HP is calculated.

My other cars a 73 Super Duty solid roller cammed 455 Trans Am and a 455 Pontiac powered 2600lb 84 RX 7. Yeah I Know torque

"So, as long as the car has around its original 376 lb-ft of torque, it should easily be capable of its 4.5 second 0-60 run".

Good, As long as it will run that time to 60 I have No complaints.

Last edited:
Reactions: exxxviii
My other cars a 73 Super Duty solid roller cammed 455 Trans Am and a 455 Pontiac powered 2600lb 84 RX 7. Yeah I Know torque

"So, as long as the car has around its original 376 lb-ft of torque, it should easily be capable of its 4.5 second 0-60 run".

Good, As long as it will run that time to 60 I have No complaints.
If you haven't seen it yet, check out Acceleration Boost for $2K. It makes the car a 4-second 0-60 screamer. Freakin' awesome.

And more importantly, in an EV, peak torque is available almost instantaneously - so you get peak acceleration from the get-go....

If you haven't seen it yet, check out Acceleration Boost for $2K. It makes the car a 4-second 0-60 screamer. Freakin' awesome.
Yeah I thought about it.
Our roads are not real good up here pot holes and broken pavement along with dirt/gravel.

What would have been PERFECT for me would have been a quasi Rally edition MYLR .

The P motors and tuning on the electronics
18 inch wheels with taller higher aspect ratio tires
maybe a bit more ground clearance like the 1.8 inch lift kit i saw.
Keep the comfort ride suspension add the in front of steering wheel display for the basic MPH as well.

translate the 2 grand uber wheels into what's above and maybe another grand or 2

I would have ordered it for Sure instead of a standard MYLR.

Yeah I thought about it.
Our roads are not real good up here pot holes and broken pavement along with dirt/gravel.

What would have been PERFECT for me would have been a quasi Rally edition MYLR .

Keep the comfort ride suspension add the in front of steering wheel display for the basic MPH as well.

translate the 2 grand uber wheels into what's above and maybe another grand or 2

There are aftermarket lift kits available. And owners that put those on generally use18" tires as well. If you search the forum you'll find several threads about it.

Reactions: 455dan
Yeah I thought about it.

I wish I could have gotten the stealth performance package on my MY. I didn't want the larger tires, lower car, spoiler or shorter range, but I did want the faster motors.

Reactions: 455dan