Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Hot Hatch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
~*brack*~ Uhm... That's just the BMW 3-Series Wagon -- with the word 'Sport' added to its name. I do expect there will eventually be a Model ≡ Wagon, since Europe really likes the form factor. But I do not consider any five-door to be a 'Hot Hatch' at all.

And yet another five-door -- NOT a Hot Hatch! BMW's last attempt at anything even remotely resembling a Hot Hatch was the 318ti... Which was so ugly, I don't even want to bother posting a photo.

Yes, I know there are those who are so incredibly masochistic that their eyes tell them the Saab 900 actually looked good... But I am not so afflicted. More often than not, a five-door vehicle looks absolutely atrocious. Hell, the Honda Crosstour looks loads better than the Saab 900 -- and is still FUGLY.

At least Subaru is kind enough to not lie to their Customers. Over a certain wheelbase, you have a Wagon. Over a certain height, you have a Crossover. It's a matter of proportion and scale.

You want a proper Hot Hatch? Look to Peugeot and Renault. Everyone else is just making Station Wagons or 5/8 scale SUVs.

Why wouldn't a 5-door qualify as a hot hatch? Among my car enthusiast friends, the vast majority would consider the Subaru WRX 5-door, Ford Focus RS, and VW Golf R to be hot hatches. They have a hatch in the back. Proportionally they are shorter in the rear than wagons. Wikipedia states that in general, hot hatches are 3 and 5 door hatchback cars.

Reactions: Luke42
Why wouldn't a 5-door qualify as a hot hatch?
Uhm... Because they are ugly? ;-)

You must understand, I am very much biased against sedans in general, and five-door hatchbacks in particular. I like coupes. I prefer a single, longer door, as it makes it easier for me to get in and out of a car... And since I have long arms and legs, I can put the seat back as far as I want, and don't have to worry about a friggin' B-Pillar blocking my view when I look to the left... That is a big problem in most every sedan I've ever driven. I hate having to play Peek-A-Boo with the B-Pillar to check for hidden traffic prior to lane changes.

I understand that some may consider certain vehicles 'HOT' because of the engine they run... I'm talking about cars that are 'HOT' because of their styling. Very few five-door hatchbacks actually look better or even as good as their three-door counterparts. BMW managed to [FOUL] up their singular attempt at a 3-Door hatch with the 318ti -- may it rest in peace. But everyone else does a MUCH better job with 3-Door hatchbacks, by making them HOT under the hood, as well as with exterior styling.

Why wouldn't a 5-door qualify as a hot hatch?

Uhm... Because they are ugly? ;-)

I understand that some may consider certain vehicles 'HOT' because of the engine they run... I'm talking about cars that are 'HOT' because of their styling.
When you engage in discourse, online or otherwise, an unwritten rule is that we all use the same definitions. You can't unilaterally redefine the term "hot hatch" to be about looks, when the rest of the world knows it's about performance...

I want to have a conversation about EV's - Oh, don't you know I'm talking about "eclectic vessels"? :tongue:

So, wait... You are saying that the 'hatch' that is considered 'hot' is what covers the motor? Aye dinna t'ink sew.

'Hot Hatch' is the car design. Just as 'Q Car' is the car design. And 'sleeper' is the appearance of the car.

Five-Door hatchbacks are almost NEVER hot. They are truly ugly most of the time.

So, wait... You are saying that the 'hatch' that is considered 'hot' is what covers the motor? Aye dinna t'ink sew.

'Hot Hatch' is the car design. Just as 'Q Car' is the car design. And 'sleeper' is the appearance of the car.

Five-Door hatchbacks are almost NEVER hot. They are truly ugly most of the time.

Nearly every source from Wikipedia to Top Gear talks about hot hatches as being high-performance cars with power and sporty suspension tuning.

I also don't know anyone who bought a WRX hatch because it pretty.

Maybe it's a geographic difference. Car people in my area of the U.S. buy hot hatches for performance, practicality, and a dose of obnoxious noise. Slightly offensive or jarring appearance is considered good.

I guess it will take as long as it takes for the 3 to meet demand, like with the Model X. Tesla could have built the Model X 1 and a half year earlier, with less innovations and if there were no problems with suppliers.
It already sits on the S chassis, so the need for design could have been minimized, but the saw that the S sales were still increasing, so it would have made no sense to bring it that early, so they took their time. Only the last half year was an unplanned delay, I would say. And it might be the same with the 3.
Why build 2 different cars with a huge backlog? It is way more efficient to only increase the output of a single car. They can just take the same approach as they did with the S and X, bring the Y when the 3 sales get to an almost constant level and then push out a refreshed Y, with some new features, a more energetic battery, but the core Model 3 architecture. And around the same time they might include all those new features and the new packs into the M3.
My prediction is, that the Y might come to market in 2019, with its first year of full sales in 2020, or even later, if the Model 3 demand is higher than expected.
Is there a thread about the Model Y? I also thought there is going to be another Model but someone I talked to suggested that the roadster was "Model Y?" Not sure. They said Elon Musk discussed it once. Model ""Why" make an electric car?"... ;)

While the plan is interesting where does the Model Y come into play?

Just like the X came after the S, the Y will come after the 3. Just consider for the sake of that graph that any where it says 3 it means 3/Y as in model 3 and model Y will be in those totals.

When the Y comes out some orders for the 3 will be modified to be Y orders, the reservation is transferable.

Hmmm. When he discussed the Trilogy master plan during the Model 3 reveal, he suggested Model X was 2.5 in the trilogy or "a 4 part trilogy." Maybe he meant so far...

Think of it as generations. Roadster = Gen-I (part 1 of the trilogy), Model S and X are both on Gen-II (part 2 of the trilogy) and Model 3 and Y are/will both be on Gen-III (part 3 of the trilogy). Or just think of Y as 3.5.

Reactions: Fanatic1
Is there a thread about the Model Y? I also thought there is going to be another Model but someone I talked to suggested that the roadster was "Model Y?" Not sure. They said Elon Musk discussed it once. Model ""Why" make an electric car?"... ;)

I was told the same by a senior Tesla employee in Europe just few days ago... He told me that "model Y" is in fact the new Roadster!

Well, I currently own a five-door hatchback (I think?) and IMHO it's one of the hottest cars out there :)
I realize that is not compatible with American tastes, but most people around here like the car.

It's a VW Polo 6R (5 doors) and looks like this: http://www.xxl-felgen.de/felgen-bilder-galerie/16-zoll-vw-polo-alufelgen-shop.jpg

I'm afraid the Model 3&Y might be "epitomes of compromise" for me because I don't really like the looks of sedans / SUVs that much.

It would be interesting to see a roadster with falcon-wing doors ;)
Why not? something like this ;)
Gumpert_Apollo_Dubai.jpg