Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y HUD upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still waiting for our y. But we have a Toyota Yaris and the speedo is the same as the Tesla off to the left. In our test drive I didn’t have an issue. Would wait till you get the car and drive it around for a bit. If still an issue then order it.

Reactions: David Sowden
I had people telling me not to install a HUD but my partner wanted the front display of info. I installed the larger EVOffer system. Not cheap at USD$400 but a perfect fit. Unlike the Intel MCU versions the one for the Ryzen CPU is a quick install connecting to a spare CAN plug in the A pillar trim next to the drivers right knee and power is tapped from the 12V connection under the right rear passenger seat. Hardest part was trim removal. EVOffer give great online support and updates. Same setup for 3 and Y. It's worth noting that the only reason the 3 and Y don't have a screen like the S and X is a cost saving measure.

Update: Now priced at USD$499.

IMG_6388.jpeg

Last edited:
I definitely feel having a digital speedo with other important info straight in front is lot more useful than being to the side. So I am sold on trying a suitable unit. But I am not prepared to do this myself. I will try voltaic and also check the Ev offer unit and compare it to hansshow to decide.

It's obviously a personal choice.

But more that the centre screen sits fairly high, far higher than any of these aftermarket units.

You actually divert your eyes less looking left than you would looking down to a centre binacle or these after market unit.

Take a look on AliExpress there are multiple designs these days and most will have been reviewed on YT.

Reactions: dasn
I realise it is not the question you asked. However, before my 3LR arrived 13 months ago, I had driven a car with a good, integrated HUD. I definitely used it all the time and it avoided looking downwards to the speedo. So, I really thought I was going to sorely miss it when the 3 came. However, in reality, I have not missed it at all. Here are my reasons. My suggestion would be do as you are doing and ask questions and look, but do not buy anything until your car actually arrives and you see what you think:

1. My other car was a turbo diesel. Quite good engine braking down hills, but nothing like the Tesla. So I needed to keep my eye on the speed all the time going downhill. Now, I hardly look at the speed indication and I have also set the overspeed "beeps" to 2km/hr so I have audible warning.

2. Much of my driving was out of town. The cruise control was quite good but still deviated up and down several km/hr so again I really needed an eye on the HUD. TACC in the Tesla is fantastic. It keeps my car within 1km/hr in a lot of different conditions. I even use it a lot around town. I never believed I would be using a cruise control on suburban streets! I trust my TACC a lot and it reduces glances to the speed.

3. As someone else commented, the speed display is quite high compared with many cars. I find the slight leftwards glance easy and non-distracting especially compared with looking at a conventional display through the steering wheel. Now we can move the blindspot camera display as well, that's another distraction also gone.

4. It is only tangentially related to the above, but concerns things we think we will miss. My other EV has a Speed Limiter. We use it all the time around town. My previous ICE cars were all European and also had speed limiters. I was really expecting to miss it on the 3. I found that Americans don't have cars with speed limiters and do not believe in them whereas almost every European car does. Before the 3 arrived, lots of Europeans (and myself) were jumping up and down for a Speed Limiter. After all, it could be done in software. Now I have the car, I just use the TACC and I really do not miss the speed limiter.

So, I am not trying to talk you out of anything but I think it's worth waiting until you have your Y and deciding after a month or so.

I had people telling me not to install a HUD but my partner wanted the front display of info. I installed the larger EVOffer system. Not cheap at USD$400 but a perfect fit. Unlike the Intel MCU versions the one for the Ryzen CPU is a quick install connecting to a spare CAN plug in the A pillar trim next to the drivers right knee and power is tapped from the 12V connection under the right rear passenger seat. Hardest part was trim removal. EVOffer give great online support and updates. Same setup for 3 and Y. It's worth noting that the only reason the 3 and Y don't have a screen like the S and X is a cost saving measure.

Update: Now priced at USD$499.

View attachment 859043
You still haven't installed a HUD by the looks of it.

You still haven't installed a HUD by the looks of it.
Very true but there are no HUD units that aren't fugly in their implementation to shine on the inside of the screen and they are difficult to integrate in to the Tesla CAN. Some owners have installed the small display unit that slots into the A/C vents in front of the steering wheel but it is rudimentary at best. I looked at true HUD solutions and found them to be impractical but the gauges offer the information normally found in this location. I offered the OP this info as a comparison.

I realise it is not the question you asked. However, before my 3LR arrived 13 months ago, I had driven a car with a good, integrated HUD. I definitely used it all the time and it avoided looking downwards to the speedo. So, I really thought I was going to sorely miss it when the 3 came. However, in reality, I have not missed it at all. Here are my reasons. My suggestion would be do as you are doing and ask questions and look, but do not buy anything until your car actually arrives and you see what you think:

1. My other car was a turbo diesel. Quite good engine braking down hills, but nothing like the Tesla. So I needed to keep my eye on the speed all the time going downhill. Now, I hardly look at the speed indication and I have also set the overspeed "beeps" to 2km/hr so I have audible warning.

2. Much of my driving was out of town. The cruise control was quite good but still deviated up and down several km/hr so again I really needed an eye on the HUD. TACC in the Tesla is fantastic. It keeps my car within 1km/hr in a lot of different conditions. I even use it a lot around town. I never believed I would be using a cruise control on suburban streets! I trust my TACC a lot and it reduces glances to the speed.

3. As someone else commented, the speed display is quite high compared with many cars. I find the slight leftwards glance easy and non-distracting especially compared with looking at a conventional display through the steering wheel. Now we can move the blindspot camera display as well, that's another distraction also gone.

4. It is only tangentially related to the above, but concerns things we think we will miss. My other EV has a Speed Limiter. We use it all the time around town. My previous ICE cars were all European and also had speed limiters. I was really expecting to miss it on the 3. I found that Americans don't have cars with speed limiters and do not believe in them whereas almost every European car does. Before the 3 arrived, lots of Europeans (and myself) were jumping up and down for a Speed Limiter. After all, it could be done in software. Now I have the car, I just use the TACC and I really do not miss the speed limiter.

So, I am not trying to talk you out of anything but I think it's worth waiting until you have your Y and deciding after a month or so.
Perfectly makes sense. I will wait until the car is here and then decide whether it is worth the add on. End of the day I feel it would be a decision based on personal choice.

Perfectly makes sense. I will wait until the car is here and then decide whether it is worth the add on. End of the day I feel it would be a decision based on personal choice.

I love my Tesla, but my personal view is that that I would like a driver instrument cluster, but have not found anything aftermarket that suits me. My personal view is also that I still like physical controls for, (at least for temperature) for climate controls, radio favorites, heated seats, along with steering wheel tilt adjust and mirrors and definately VOLUME. I mean, why not get rid of seat controls and put those on the screen? Why no buttons for rear seat heaters, you know in the rear. I often hear areguments thats you can can do anything in software, but I think people with that argument fail to understand that buttons in modern cars are simply CANbus inputs anyway and there useage can be adjusted in software.

The "instrument cluster" could be TINY and just be part of the steering column cowl.

Reactions: positiv
No, it’s much better. All recent cars I have had used buttons on the steering wheel. The scroll wheel is vastly superior to that, or a knob on the dash.
I agree, though a lot of this stuff is personal preference.

I use the scroll wheel to change volume, mute and change stations. All with my thumb and no reaching to other knobs and switches. It is the best of all cars I have owned so far (58 years of cars....)