Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y HVAC--Lower AC Temp vs Higher Fan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Three weeks into MY LR w/20" ownership. Wh/mi is averaging around 310 so far and we keep it in Chill mode most of the time and really don't push it much. That said, we live on a hill...agh. So trying to figure out how to use a bit less energy when using the A/C (which is often). My wife likes to keep temp at 62-65 with fan on low, but I am thinking turn temp up and run the fan a bit higher to save some watts. Is there a big difference in energy consumption between the two? Seems to me raising the temp will help a lot even if we turn the fan up a tad. But looking for some definitive data, more than just my hunch. Thoughts/info are appreciated.

Plan A: Get a roof rack and tie the wife to that. She would get a nice breeze on the trip.
Plus as a bonus, she might be able to hear her screaming unless you stop.

The hill means to re-gen on the way down, so that helps, although the energy used to go up is more than what you gain coming back down.

If plan A doesn't work for you, then plan B would be that the A/C would be able to provide some much BTUs of cooling.
Running a faster fan speed will pull slightly more power to run the fan at that speed.
The slower speed would likely provide slightly more cooler air. Probably not a noticeable difference.
The temperature change would help but seriously, your wife's happiness is probably worth it.
You can set dual climate, so your side is not quite as cold.

Reactions: jmichaels