Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y imported from Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently (June) bought my model Y'21 AWD LR from a reputable dealer group (Carousel motors) in Minneapolis, MN. I traded in my 22' Model 3, AWD LR while the used car trade-ins were high, and needed a bigger car for the newly extended family. I've recently been looking around to trade it in, and have had quite a few different issues
  1. Dealers are highly bullish on Tesla right now, they don't want to take on unwanted stock - I've been given various reasons for this
  2. The auction platforms that the dealers use to bid on vehicles have a setting so the dealer doesn't bid on Canadian vehicles, I've heard from 2 different dealers that Canadian vehicles (Yes, it was only there for 8 months after coming from Freemont), due to the rust that happens to Canadian vehicles is highly accelerated vs US vehicles and therefore don't want to sell them? That truly holds no water to me, 10yr anti-corrosion warranty so ...
  3. I've lost over $18K in 2 months on trade, from 15 September till today (2 months) - ouch. Vehicle is in pristine condition, I am a huge car nut and take care of my cars very well, nothing wrong with it, no accidents, just this 'Canada' issue. I obviously am nowhere near this on payment so underwater for trade
    1. Am very well aware the used car market is down ±20% in last 2 months, so this is somewhat in line, but vehicles being sold (used) are nowhere near this decline so it's very challenging to get out of this car.
A few questions for the knowledgable folks here
1. Has anyone else had such crazy depreciation / offers trying to sell their tesla recently?
2. Any other issues with owning a Canadian Tesla - I also honestly don't know any real "Difference" in it.

Thanks!
A model Y driver

I have imported cars from Canada. Established dealers do not like to sell them as they have trouble getting them financed. Why?

Well, most provinces in Canada do not have vehicle titles. Vehicles just get a yearly registration (regi) - like renewing your tabs in the USA. The regis are kept in the cars (imagine keeping your car title in your car in the USA).

Every year thousand of Canadians snow birds leave for warmer places. They park their vehicles in garage and take off. People simple break in, get the keys and take them to the USA. They take them to states will dumb DMVs. They can easily forge the import paperowrk as it is just a handwritten form with a stamp on it. Heck, you don't even have to submit the original - a photocopy will do.

With some fake DL they get it registered. And then they sell it off. Someone pays good money for the vehicle with no clue it was from Canada.

Mr. & Mrs. Snow Bird returns home 5 months later to discover their vehicle missing. So they file with their insurance & police. A search is conducted and they find it was registered in some state in the USA. They hire a repo company and the vehicle is hauled away in the middle of the night. The buyer calls the police and after a few weeks the dots are connected and the buyer finds out the vehicle was stolen. Buyer (usually the finance company) loses out.

So that is why Canadian vehicles are hard to sell in the USA. Well, you can sell them to private partied for cash or if they have a rinky dink, clueless credit union.

Well, Carousel motors in Minneapolis, MN is not a reputable dealer. Otherwise they would have told you that you are buying a Canadian vehicle and it will be hard to sell in the future. I am sure they got it at a bargain from some Canadian who had moved to the USA. Happens all of the time.

And there is no effort to stop this. Few get caught as it involves multiple states, provinces and jurisdictions. Some even make their way to Mexico (NAFTA!) Those are usually gone forever.

How to know? Open the driver's side door and see if it has a Canadian Maple leaf on the tag.

For more recent models made in North America, the cars are almost 100% the same. Canadian vehicles have DRL standard. And Canadian cars do not require TMPS (No TPMS = no import). Hyundai / Kia are famous for stripping this $30 part for Canadian versions.

Living in Montreal Canada I have never heard of people breaking into homes to steal their cars to be sold in the US. First off they would obviously need to cross the border where plates and identity are checked along with passport for ID. Plate numbers are punched in by customs agents and verified so unless someone hacks into the provincial system and changes registration ownership you are not going to cross in that vehicle. If they make it through its because the US border would be at fault and not doing their jobs and I can certainly tell you they are sticklers for even the smallest thing. Canadian cars do get stolen but they go overseas in containers and are delivered/sold mostly in third world countries where they pay a fortune for them. The vast majority of those cars are taken from the streets, not private garages.

Why would a car have a Maple leaf sticker inside the door? Maybe if it was assembled or made in Canada however I have never seen this. My Teslas certainly do not.

USED Canadian cars get picked up at auction by American buyers and imported to the states because USED are so much cheaper in Canada especially with the exchange rate being at such an advantage. They are then sold to individuals/garages in the US.

Many Canadian cars travelling on salt infested roads regularly will suffer early corrosion issues however no more than American cars travelling on similar salt infested roads in the US. Geographic location, use of road salt and how often the cars is driven determine how bad it will be, not borders. This also has a lot to do where they are located, someone in the city of Montreal or near suburbs would be a worst case whereas someone living in more secluded areas far from the city will not see nearly as much salt or salt corrosion issues.

Not sure how it works in the states however I can import a car from the US without DRL but I cannot get plates for it until it passes inspection proving DRL has been installed. Would assume a car minus TPMS being imported to the states would work in a similar fashion.

That being said both our Teslas were made in the USA, they were not equipped with special features for use in Canada because Tesla manufactures international cars so to say with all required safety features for both countries off the assembly line.

I bought Honda Civic 2004 in Ontario, the car was financed with Honda Canada financing. Year later, I moved to USA, after few months I was told to register my car in USA.

DMV told me that I have to formally import the car into USA, custom clearance was needed in order to get US Plates.

I had to pay off my car, get the letter from Honda Financing stating that car doesn't have any financial obligation. I also have to get a letter from Honda Canada stating that car meets all legalities needed by US Department of Transportation and highway authority. I also have to get my title from Canada Ministry of Transport.

Took all paperwork to US customs (CBP) at the border, they did whatever they need to do, which includes checking VIN not been stolen and my formal background check, to make sure that I am not felony or not doing import more than allowed number of times, since I was not using any trusted custom broker agent. They also get the car value, impose taxes if needed. The car need to be licensed and insured all the time.

So, I don't think its as easy that someone think to break in, steal the car, cross the border, bring the car a US dealership and sell it.