Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y in Switzerland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first post, hello.

Living in Zurich, I ordered a model Y in autumn 2020.

a) I'll be surprised if I get it in 2021.

b) Price differential on Swiss and German websites between similarly specced Model Y and Model 3 is huge - like CHF 12000 - compared to a couple of thousand $ in the US.

Will the Y get a big price reduction before coming to market, or will it receive the new 4680 batteries and range increase to make up for it? If neither, I won't be taking delivery.

My first post, hello.

Living in Zurich, I ordered a model Y in autumn 2020.

a) I'll be surprised if I get it in 2021.

b) Price differential on Swiss and German websites between similarly specced Model Y and Model 3 is huge - like CHF 12000 - compared to a couple of thousand $ in the US.

Will the Y get a big price reduction before coming to market, or will it receive the new 4680 batteries and range increase to make up for it? If neither, I won't be taking delivery.
It's impossible to answer your question as no one knows what Tesla will do. In my case with the Model 3 Performance I ordered pearl white when it was a premium color and cost 1,500 Chf more. One week after delivery they changed colors and made Pearl White the standard base and Black the premium. I was a little upset but they wouldn't do anything. I will say, though, that every time I drive the car I still get a grin on my face. 15 months of happiness has more than made up for it. Tesla does a lot of these changes at any moment in time. So it can be like buying a gadget to only have the updated model be a surprise release a few weeks later. You will always be chasing the next feature. I have no regrets on my purchase and once you own yours I doubt you will either. That said, I would never buy the first release. I waited until 2012 and bought VIN 922 of the original Roadster (out of 1000 of the final production) and was very pleased for 8 years with no issues. Earlier models had tons of issues. For the Model 3 I waited until the end of 2019 to buy mine after they had been in production for 1.5 years (starting in the US). I was luckier as the first models had very poor paint and bodywork. Mine turned out quite good.

I'd personally be hesitant for a first release in Switzerland. It is unknown if these will arrive from the Fremont factory or be the first production batch in the new German factory. But that is just me... ;-)

One final example, the Model Y and the newer 2021 Model 3's have a "heat pump" compared to the prior years which have a PTC heater. In theory this will be more efficient. The reality is it has caused a lot of issues in cold climates and the performance drops significantly for those newer cars. You can watch many videos on this, particularly from Bjorn Nyland on YouTube. My car with a PTC heater does not suffer performance sags in cold weather outside of the norm. Compared to newer 2021 Performance Model 3's which suffer enormously and can drop all the way to 8 seconds or more from 0-100 Km/h in cold weather. Mine is always no more than 4 seconds and typically closer to 3 seconds no matter the weather.

I'd personally be hesitant for a first release in Switzerland. It is unknown if these will arrive from the Fremont factory or be the first production batch in the new German factory.

I totally agree with you, but what is one to do if they want a hatchback? MY seems to only come from Germany and be brand-new config, and MX is being refreshed and will also be brand-new.

Basically, in Switzerland, either you buy an M3 and deal with the small space, or wait 2+ years for an MY or MX that's not from initial batch..

I totally agree with you, but what is one to do if they want a hatchback? MY seems to only come from Germany and be brand-new config, and MX is being refreshed and will also be brand-new.

Basically, in Switzerland, either you buy an M3 and deal with the small space, or wait 2+ years for an MY or MX that's not from initial batch..
That's always the dilemma. And not just in Switzerland. Fortunately we have our US beta testers for Tesla's so typically by the time they arrive here they are already much better off. I've just learned the hard way through experience (I've owned over 50 cars in my lifetime as I was a petrol junky). Especially with EV's that are new and loaded with technology, and being rushed out the manufacturing pipeline to meet quarterly numbers, etc. And Tesla has a history of "release it to the market and we'll fix it through software updates or SC visits" while then using the fallback response "within spec" if the issues are what they consider tolerable. No thanks!

If you do go that route, you absolutely need to be fully prepared for delivery day with a checklist and no emotions. It is so tempting to accept a car that might have some flaws with promises they will resolve them. But once you drive it away it becomes your hassle to arrange and chase for the resolutions. Granted you do have the option to return the car within a short period, but that is also a hassle. And after waiting so long with an order for it to arrive and you will begin to accept the imperfections.

The guys at the SC's know me well enough now that whatever they do to my cars it always is given a little extra attention to detail. ;-)

Reactions: iustin
Thanks iustin and webbah ....

Well I wasn't expecting you to have the actual answers, I just see those as the two outcomes - Tesla should adjust the preorder price of the Y downloads to closer correlate to the 3, or increase the range / other benefits.

Of course a third option exists - they don't offer any improvements and don't adjust the price - in which case there is no way I will follow through on my order.

Sometimes I do think about just pulling a trigger on the 3 instead - can have it now, its a great looker, but I really want the hatchback functionality.

Unlike Webbah, I had one small car in the last 13 years - I'm not looking to have many cars, just one good one that will last - though with battery improvements hopefully bringing teslas in line with ICE range in the coming 5 years, maybe not.

Had a ranger stop by very recently and was told they received 1500 MY and are making deliveries.

The other interesting tidbit was he helps preping new vehicles when they get a new batch. A short while ago they received M3 standard from China and the long range & performance from CA. He said the Chinese ones were of impeccable quality and they didn’t have to do anything for them but the CA ones weren’t quite the same.

I ordered an MY last spring and was told it's in Geneva and ready for pick-up next week. This batch and the next (scheduled for delivery in Dec/Jan) is coming off the China assembly line. From what I can tell, the Chinese MYs are of higher quality than those coming from California. We shall see...

I ordered an MY last spring and was told it's in Geneva and ready for pick-up next week. This batch and the next (scheduled for delivery in Dec/Jan) is coming off the China assembly line. From what I can tell, the Chinese MYs are of higher quality than those coming from California. We shall see...
I picked up my MY two weeks ago and yes, the quality is perfect. I used this checklist and had 0 issues.
I was speaking with the people that worked at the delivery center and they said MIC Model 3s and Ys are perfect.

That's reassuring. After reading so many production issues I was scared. Placed MY LR preorder the other day. Looking ta Feb/Mar delivery. Also in Switzerland.

PS - please let me know if there's a way to communicate with Swiss Tesla owners specifically. I saw a section in this forum (I'm new to it) but couldn't join. Thanks.

Hello!
I live in Romania and there is no info on delivery but is usually connected with Germany.

I've ordered the car in May 2021 and the initial EDD was December 2021, after that EDD was February 2022 and now is May 2022.

I really think we will be the "lucky" owners of the first batch of the Giga Berlin factory...

Hello!
I live in Romania and there is no info on delivery but is usually connected with Germany.

I've ordered the car in May 2021 and the initial EDD was December 2021, after that EDD was February 2022 and now is May 2022.

I really think we will be the "lucky" owners of the first batch of the Giga Berlin factory...
Interestingly enough, my Tesla account shows no EDD at all. The estimate when I ordered early December 2021 was Feb/Mar 2022. Now, when I select Switzerland on the Tesla website and pick the exact same options, it clearly tells me Feb 2022 (MY LR, Red, 20", EnhancedAP).

I also believe that we might get first cars from Berlin however I'm not sure if that's a good thing. As long as the quality is at the level of Shanghai, that should be OK.

Strange, this is my account and steps (see attached pdf)
I have no such option.

My Tesla account section to manage my order is different. I have two tabs. One called next steps with the insurance and payment information (I'll be leasing). Both have a checkmark as completed. The second tab says completed tasks. Shows my name, address, downpayment I made for the lease anda mount financed.

The right column has the reservation number and some documents (invoices).

Under the reservation number there's a "details of your configuration". When I click it shows the options I selected and includes a warning "if you change your configuration the delivery time will change". Funny because I don't have delivery time nor way to change the configuration.

I suspect it is because I have made the downpayment and completed all the steps to receive the car.

Same here, but I haven't yet put my downpayment. I wonder if I should.
I would suggest you check with your Tesla representative. From what I understand, when you manage your order from your Tesla account, there's a checklist. The Tesla rep should be able to explain which of the steps should be blocking or not.

As long as you have the lease approved it should be fine.

What country, @franz86?

I would suggest you check with your Tesla representative. From what I understand, when you manage your order from your Tesla account, there's a checklist. The Tesla rep should be able to explain which of the steps should be blocking or not.

As long as you have the lease approved it should be fine.

What country, @franz86?
Switzerland. I put the down payment but still no news on it’s delivery time. They said “early March” but still no VIN assigned.

Reactions: marramgg