Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y insurance ..AAA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got quotes from AAA and Costco. AAA is $1768 per year. Costco’s carrier is $1368 per year. Tried to separate out just the MY component of what they quoted. In CA. Good driver, no infractions. They both included getting homeowners from them as well.

I'm no longer jealous... Although the $1368 will be close to what I'll pay for the MYP... In order to get that I have many lines of insurance with SF and I have had them for over 30 years now. I also have un/under insured motor vehicle property and injury insurance as part of my quote that way no matter what happens I should be covered. Should being the operative word.

I'm no longer jealous... Although the $1368 will be close to what I'll pay for the MYP... In order to get that I have many lines of insurance with SF and I have had them for over 30 years now. I also have un/under insured motor vehicle property and injury insurance as part of my quote that way no matter what happens I should be covered. Should being the operative word.
I'm not done looking. I've been with AAA for 19 years and I was petrified about a few people who said they were quoted several hundred dollars a month for their coverage. So, based on their quote today, I went ahead and added my MY to my policy to make sure I was covered. But it looks like there are better options now that I've added this blue beauty to my stable! I'll post what I end up with in case it helps anyone else.

I'm not done looking. I've been with AAA for 19 years and I was petrified about a few people who said they were quoted several hundred dollars a month for their coverage. So, based on their quote today, I went ahead and added my MY to my policy to make sure I was covered. But it looks like there are better options now that I've added this blue beauty to my stable! I'll post what I end up with in case it helps anyone else.
nice

maybe we should make the switch too. We've been AAA for a long time now I guess you pay for it with small discounts on hotels etc.

Quick post on AAA. We had them for over 25 years, added our Model 3 last fall. Price seemed high at $1700/yr for that one vehicle. We had a total of 4 cars, homeowners, and umbrella all with AAA. We paid that with AAA for 2 policy periods, but then with Covid shopped around. Switched to State Farm and saved a significant amount for same coverage on auto/home/umbrella. Savings of about 2,000 a year over AAA. We loved AAA, been accident/ticket free for 20 years, but could not justify that amount of difference. I talked to AAA about lower rates, and the agent looked up our policy and I noticed the Model 3 had a "red" color and it said something like "high value"...can't remember the exact words. Just wanted to add our experience. This is in Central Illinois.

Quick post on AAA. We had them for over 25 years, added our Model 3 last fall. Price seemed high at $1700/yr for that one vehicle. We had a total of 4 cars, homeowners, and umbrella all with AAA. We paid that with AAA for 2 policy periods, but then with Covid shopped around. Switched to State Farm and saved a significant amount for same coverage on auto/home/umbrella. Savings of about 2,000 a year over AAA. We loved AAA, been accident/ticket free for 20 years, but could not justify that amount of difference. I talked to AAA about lower rates, and the agent looked up our policy and I noticed the Model 3 had a "red" color and it said something like "high value"...can't remember the exact words. Just wanted to add our experience. This is in Central Illinois.

Almost same. AAA card for 50+ years but bundle insured with liberty mutual. They dumped is for fire zone so went to State farm. Gave auto club a chance to quote - not even close - stayed with State farm even though when we had 2 claims (both fault free) they weren't on our side.

I have GEICO for all of my insurance, when I removed my ICE and added MY, my insurance increased about $150 every six months. I am paying about $25 more a month over my ICE car, full discourse i have been with GEICO for 20 years. With all of the discounts it was the best deal for me.

So shopping for insurance I inquired to a few carriers and received quotes from about 230 to 360/ a month. Yes I live in L.A. and rates are higher here but in all my years of driving, never an accident, ticket, or claim. Perfect record. so I decided to call AAA as I have their road service.
the agent mentioned that rates might be slightly higher for Tesla’s....... $657 a month!! We both had a good laugh. I heard that Costco sells car insurance? Anyone here have it?
Try Wawanesa out of San Diego. The have great insurance rates for CA residents

Reactions: SilverSp33d3r
I talked to AAA back in October and they said to get back to them when I had a VIN #.

I live in Los Angeles, so all insurance is expensive. They quoted me over $6,000 a year. I think not. This is after nearly 30 years with them plus homeowners.

Going to check out Tesla's insurance as soon as that option pops up on my account on the website.

I am now in my second policy period with my Model Y and Progressive made no change to the premium...
I like to hear that! My renewal should be coming up in the next month or so and I was worried of a huge increase like many others were reporting (though I never had the crazy low initial quote that most of them mentioned.)

Crossing my fingers it's a reasonable increase, or about the same since my personal status hasn't changed.

My model Y is a third car on a two driver policy and currently at $707/yr with the typical 100/300, rental, oem windshield replacement, those kind of goodies. Guess it is pretty in line. I figured since its a a perfect 5 start safety car these would be fairly cheap to insure...

So shopping for insurance I inquired to a few carriers and received quotes from about 230 to 360/ a month. Yes I live in L.A. and rates are higher here but in all my years of driving, never an accident, ticket, or claim. Perfect record. so I decided to call AAA as I have their road service.
the agent mentioned that rates might be slightly higher for Tesla’s....... $657 a month!! We both had a good laugh. I heard that Costco sells car insurance? Anyone here have it?

I had AAA for 25 years over multiple BMWs until I got my 3. They nearly doubled my rate (also in Los Angeles), explaining that the car was listed as an "exotic" on their risk schedule. Geico and Wawanesa were the best of the rates I got from other insurers. I ended up with Geico.

I talked to AAA back in October and they said to get back to them when I had a VIN #.

I live in Los Angeles, so all insurance is expensive. They quoted me over $6,000 a year. I think not. This is after nearly 30 years with them plus homeowners.

Going to check out Tesla's insurance as soon as that option pops up on my account on the website.
Same
we have home, auto, life, and it was pretty expensive with a MY lol. waiting for tesla as well