Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y insurance high?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just don't get Admiral. They are so inconsistent even by insurance company standards

quoted me £400 for a mini online ( with young driver attached ) then when I phoned and asked to add to my existing multi policy they tried to charge £1200. I had to find the money supermarket quote reference and wait 30 minutes while they faffed before they managed to add at the £400 rate. I was hoping for an additional discount 🤣

Then they gave me £85 back when I switched from an M3LR to MYLR this month so about £450 total on said multi policy with 11 months to run. Which is about £300 less than they quoted on money supermarket for the same car.
Always a balancing act between what your prepared to pay for a claim with the compulsory and voluntary and a low premium.

I am a bit relieved reading this thread…

When I ordered my MYLR in June - the insurance I got quoted was £1500, in august I checked again and it was £1250

I have just checked now and it was £800, hoping this downward trend continues into December!

I believe this trend is occurring due to the popularity of the car and Tesla drastically improving their lead times for spare parts

Reactions: SteelmanMFC
My renewal quote for my MY from Churchill has gone from £670 > £1170 - yikes! Only change is made a claim for chip on windscreen which doesn’t impact NCB. Not in London. Called them up and they couldn’t reduce.

Did a look on moneysupermarket and on Admiral / LV and Churchill was the cheapest. What’s going on?? Anyone got some more reasonable quotes recently?

My renewal quote for my MY from Churchill has gone from £670 > £1170 - yikes! Only change is made a claim for chip on windscreen which doesn’t impact NCB. Not in London. Called them up and they couldn’t reduce.

Did a look on moneysupermarket and on Admiral / LV and Churchill was the cheapest. What’s going on?? Anyone got some more reasonable quotes recently?
Prices seemed to jump up for those of us that had to insure from Q3.
My existing insurer wouldn’t insure, so I ended up with ‘Hastings Premium’.
You could also try Admiral if Direct Line / Churchill aren’t working out for you.

Speculation is it is because it’s a new powerful car and Tesla repairs are costly and can take a long time. Good luck!

Thanks for the info Jason71. Forgot to mention this is for 5k per annum. Low risk area.

Looks like the Discovery was group 45.

All the same, very surprised at the insurance cost for a mid-range non-premium car. Prior to the Discos I had a BMW 440i and was again in the £300s.
Maybe due to the fact that the 0-60 times aren't as quick and the Disco and BMW don't have £20k worth of batteries in the chassis.

I just don't get Admiral. They are so inconsistent even by insurance company standards

quoted me £400 for a mini online ( with young driver attached ) then when I phoned and asked to add to my existing multi policy they tried to charge £1200. I had to find the money supermarket quote reference and wait 30 minutes while they faffed before they managed to add at the £400 rate. I was hoping for an additional discount 🤣

Then they gave me £85 back when I switched from an M3LR to MYLR this month so about £450 total on said multi policy with 11 months to run. Which is about £300 less than they quoted on money supermarket for the same car.
On Moneysupermarket Admiral quotes were all over the place for the same details. You have two Admiral companies competing (in this case LittleBox and Bell) with exactly the same details, one would be £500 one would be £1000.. go back the next day and they'd be swapped around. No reason I could see, other than RNG.