Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Insurance question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, We are in waiting for our Model Y delivery but I am confused about the Auto Insurance Requirement - the DA stated that they need a copy of the Texas Insurance Card showing the VIN with an immediate effective date, that does not expire for at least 60 days - and they need this prior to the car being shipped from CA to TX. I am unclear as to why we would need to insure the car when it's not even scheduled for delivery. Anyone have a similar experience? Is this a TX thing?

It all goes back to the Texas legislature being a wholly owned subsidiary of the Texas Auto Dealers Association. To get around the prohibition on auto manufacturers selling directly to consumers in Texas, your purchase is taking place in California and the car will have temporary registration there. You own it before it gets delivered in Texas.

Thank you for the responses!! I am more worried about who's responsibility it will be to cover the car before it even gets to u . What happens if the car is damaged on the way over? Does our insurance have to cover that even if we haven't taken delivery?

Does the same logic apply to loan financing starting before delivery date?

Just to add a bit of closure. Your current policy, assuming full coverage, provides 30 days of coverage for newly acquired vehicles. The company just back dates it to the date ownership starts.

That said, just add you VIN to your policy. If the effective date is dramatically different from when you technically take title in California, i.e., two weeks early, then just have your company adjust it to reflect the correct date...after pickup. They can't insure a car you don't own, so the date change is not a problem.

Yup, you're right. Changed in in 2014 apparently. 20 days after title acquired to notify for new acquired vehicles. A bit different if you're replacing a car and don't change the original coverages.

That said, Tesla makes their own rules, so easiest just to add the car and modify dates later, if necessary.