Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted this in the Current Delivery thread but I think that this may be beneficial for many, so I'm posting a sepatate thread.
I always heard that insurance for Teslas is expensive but when I added ot to my Insurance, it was suprisingly cheap.. $500 for 6 months (which means $83.33 per month), cheaper than my wife's BMW i3..
I do have multiple car discount and clean driving record and don't live in a big town. I live outside of city limits of a town of about 100,000.
Esurance is my insurer..

20210527_092116.jpg

Camera-only increased insurance premium by 50%! I purchased insurance right when I got my VIN last week ($1900), but before the NHTSA and IIHS “downgraded,” for my delivery next week. Then I wanted to try to take an earlier delivery. So, the next day, I when I tried to start the policy earlier, they had to reprice the policy- $2,800!

Ouch! Only thing that changed was the “downgrades” were announced. Pretty clear, the camera-only car is now 50% more costly to insure (at least until retested).

Posted this in the Current Delivery thread but I think that this may be beneficial for many, so I'm posting a sepatate thread.
I always heard that insurance for Teslas is expensive but when I added ot to my Insurance, it was suprisingly cheap.. $500 for 6 months (which means $83.33 per month), cheaper than my wife's BMW i3..
I do have multiple car discount and clean driving record and don't live in a big town. I live outside of city limits of a town of about 100,000.
Esurance is my insurer..

View attachment 666772
Wow, that’s good to know since I’m considering trading my 3 for a Y.

I have a clean record too, so there is hope.

Reactions: FloridaSun
Camera-only increased insurance premium by 50%! I purchased insurance right when I got my VIN last week ($1900), but before the NHTSA and IIHS “downgraded,” for my delivery next week. Then I wanted to try to take an earlier delivery. So, the next day, I when I tried to start the policy earlier, they had to reprice the policy- $2,800!

Ouch! Only thing that changed was the “downgrades” were announced. Pretty clear, the camera-only car is now 50% more costly to insure (at least until retested).
@NYCer Which insurance company did that? Like @FloridaSun i use Esurance and I pay $1600 for 6 for 100/300k. I got quotes from All State, Progressive and others, they all came back with $3000 for 6 months for the same coverage. I picked up my model y on the 28th of March which is after Tesla vision was announced and NHTSA removed its check marks for lane departure warning and such.

@NYCer Which insurance company did that? Like @FloridaSun i use Esurance and I pay $1600 for 6 for 100/300k. I got quotes from All State, Progressive and others, they all came back with $3000 for 6 months for the same coverage. I picked up my model y on the 28th of March which is after Tesla vision was announced and NHTSA removed its check marks for lane departure warning and such.
WOW, NYC premiums are high!! I know that living rural is great for insurance rates but I didn't think that it would be such a huge difference..

It’s so hard to compare prices because nobody ever lists coverage levels or accident history or age or bundled policies or any number of different things that can effect the price.

That said, I added the Y to my insurance and it went up $200 for the year, so it’s only $200 more to insure than my 3 year old Accord Hybrid that was half the cost and about $400 more than my couple year old CX-5.

Here’s the breakdown between the two.

Attachments

• 45CCD64C-49A9-4494-8D39-FB18F500B8B0.jpeg
    45CCD64C-49A9-4494-8D39-FB18F500B8B0.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 198
Forgot to mention mine is with MetLife which I guess was bought by Farmers. Also the reason the i3 is expensive is because of the Carbon Fiber used in the construction. That’s a pita to fix if there’s any significant damage to it.

Forgot to mention mine is with MetLife which I guess was bought by Farmers. Also the reason the i3 is expensive is because of the Carbon Fiber used in the construction. That’s a pita to fix if there’s any significant damage to it.
The i3 also has a not so great safety rating.. Don't even know if the carbon fiber chassis can be repaired or if you have to junk the car if it gets damaged.. It does have a huge advantage when it comes to weight but I doubt that it's worth the extra cost.

Interesting thread. Curious what others are finding. Agree things are hard to compare. I have clean record, good credit, etc and with all the multi car discounts and home bundle etc got $1,000 for 6 months from Farmers (300/500...includes rental coverage, 500 deductible). USAA matched those levels and with no bundling quoted $640 per 6 so thinking about switching back to USAA. Live in Dallas, TX.

Interesting thread. Curious what others are finding. Agree things are hard to compare. I have clean record, good credit, etc and with all the multi car discounts and home bundle etc got $1,000 for 6 months from Farmers (300/500...includes rental coverage, 500 deductible). USAA matched those levels and with no bundling quoted $640 per 6 so thinking about switching back to USAA. Live in Dallas, TX.
I used to have USAA and I think when we left them for MetLife my wife and my car were running close to $2,200 every 6mo. When we called MetLife and the guy said $2,000 I said “thanks but for the $200 savings I’ll just stick with USAA” and he said, “No that’s for a year, we don’t do 6mo policies” and I almost spit out my drink. Couldn’t switch fast enough. We had called and complained to USAA about their rates multiple times and they just gave us some BS story about FL being an expensive place to insure. When I have them one last chance to keep us and told them Metlife’s price they flat out told me to switch.

I used to have USAA and I think when we left them for MetLife my wife and my car were running close to $2,200 every 6mo. When we called MetLife and the guy said $2,000 I said “thanks but for the $200 savings I’ll just stick with USAA” and he said, “No that’s for a year, we don’t do 6mo policies” and I almost spit out my drink. Couldn’t switch fast enough. We had called and complained to USAA about their rates multiple times and they just gave us some BS story about FL being an expensive place to insure. When I have them one last chance to keep us and told them Metlife’s price they flat out told me to switch.
I used to pay a lot more for insurance when I lived in Miami Beach.. My insurance rates dropped when I moved to Clearwater and they dropped even more when I moved to Polk County, just outside of Lakeland city limits.. I actually wanted to get away from the city.. I wanted to have space between me and the neighbors.. 1 acre+ lot etc... I don't miss living in the city at all and insurance rates are lower too as are property taxes..

Similar story here in northern California. Geico's quote for a Model Y jumped from $519.40/6mo last month to $753.70 today.