Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y interior choices

Pick one.

• I have Black and would never select the Cream/Oak.

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • I have White and prefer it as opposed to the Cream/Oak.

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • I wish I could have selected the cream/oak for the same up charge as the white.

Votes: 24 31.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have been looking at Model Y for our second Tesla. The problem we have is the interior color choices.
Black is too hot for our Florida climate and that all glass roof. White is too hard on our eyes and seems would be difficult to keep clean.
We have the Model S with Cream and Oak interior and love it and would prefer that but it is not offered.

How many of you Y owners would have chosen that color design as opposed to what you chose assuming the cost was not an issue.

I drove my mothers Y for over a month with white interior with two kids and we put some serious off-road harsh trips on it. It was REALLY dirty (mud, food, yuck) I was able to return it sparkly clean with just baby wipes.
My only criticism of the white is the dashboard. I feel like the white dashboard behind the drivers wheel glares a bit during certain sun angles. Not bothersome all the time, but sometimes it feels like its tanning the underside of my eyelids. Seems like that area might have been better suited for wood trim or some other less glary material. All that said I would still pick the white. It looks amazing.

I don’t know about cream but I love the white on my MY and wouldn’t change my mind if I had to go back. My husbands black interior is great too, but I love the look of the white (modern/ spaceship ish?).
I did Gyeon ceramic coating on the seats and haven’t had an issue with Jean dye or spills, a good wipe cleans it right up :)
But it is def a lot more maintenance than the black, so it just depends if you’re okay with cleaning it more than you would with the black?

Reactions: db93
I don’t know about cream but I love the white on my MY and wouldn’t change my mind if I had to go back. My husbands black interior is great too, but I love the look of the white (modern/ spaceship ish?).
I did Gyeon ceramic coating on the seats and haven’t had an issue with Jean dye or spills, a good wipe cleans it right up :)
But it is def a lot more maintenance than the black, so it just depends if you’re okay with cleaning it more than you would with the black?
With the white interior, at least you can see all the dirt you would otherwise be sitting on
MY Wh/Wh is a spaceship

Reactions: Mr X and ejkcy25
I can’t comment on the cream, I haven’t seen it. But I can say I live in the Arizona desert, and honestly the black interior isn’t bad at all. I did tint the front door windows as well as the windshield. I do not honestly think the glass roof lets in as much heat as you might think.

Thanks for your comments. FYI- you can see a photo of the interior color scheme on the Tesla web site by looking at the Model S or X interiors.

Before I had my full glass ceramic Pro installed which is rated at 99% IR block, I took measurements and the range of interior temperatures with a peak recording thermometer was 136° to 148°F during June sunny days. I had the 70% visible block tint added to all inner glass except the windshield which was a 15% block. This film is rated for 99% IR block. Since, I have not seen peak temperatures in the interior hit above 112°F. These measurements were recorded with the Cabin Overheat off so that did not influence the maximum temperatures. With this on, the interior doesn't get over 105° but before applying the tint film the Cabin Overheat just didn't keep up and I saw excessive battery drain and temps hitting 116°. So, respectively, I trust my measurements and data collected which sold me on spending the $800 for the full glass Ceramic Pro tint.

At our Tesla showroom I recently got a chance to demo the Model Y which was sitting in the sun for several hours. The inside temperature was over 135°. This was Blue exterior with Black interior. They had a Model 3 with white but I didn't get to demo that. I'm sure it would be lower temps compared to that Y but I like measurements rather than guessing based on solar heating theory.

Here is the difference in the Cream-Oak and the White-Black interior colors for reference:
Tesla Cream-Oak interior.png Tesla white-black interior.png
My wife insists on the cream-oak or finding seat covers as her brief experience with white was just too bright.
Her approved seat cover colors would be gray or cream(preferred).

Thanks for your comments. FYI- you can see a photo of the interior color scheme on the Tesla web site by looking at the Model S or X interiors.

Before I had my full glass ceramic Pro installed which is rated at 99% IR block, I took measurements and the range of interior temperatures with a peak recording thermometer was 136° to 148°F during June sunny days. I had the 70% visible block tint added to all inner glass except the windshield which was a 15% block. This film is rated for 99% IR block. Since, I have not seen peak temperatures in the interior hit above 112°F. These measurements were recorded with the Cabin Overheat off so that did not influence the maximum temperatures. With this on, the interior doesn't get over 105° but before applying the tint film the Cabin Overheat just didn't keep up and I saw excessive battery drain and temps hitting 116°. So, respectively, I trust my measurements and data collected which sold me on spending the $800 for the full glass Ceramic Pro tint.

At our Tesla showroom I recently got a chance to demo the Model Y which was sitting in the sun for several hours. The inside temperature was over 135°. This was Blue exterior with Black interior. They had a Model 3 with white but I didn't get to demo that. I'm sure it would be lower temps compared to that Y but I like measurements rather than guessing based on solar heating theory.
An untinted windshield is typically the culprit. It is definitely the weakest link in terms of thermal rejection.

I'm only a week in but I find the white easy to look after. I found the most annoying marks on black in my M3 were things like sunscreen and anything oily - hand cream etc - because the black is fairly matt it immediately shows these marks and they can be hard to remove without making that patch of the seat shiny. These won't be an issue on white which was part of my decision.

As to dirt on white, I agree with @db93 that I'd rather see it than have it hidden by the black seat.

Totally each to their own. Some more choices would be cool eventually - I could imagine a red/brown working pretty well with some colours.

Reactions: db93
I definitely get the sense that the white interior is super polarizing, most either love it or wouldn't even consider it. I personally love the black interior and probably would've chosen that even if I could've selected my own custom color.

The cream is definitely an interesting choice but I personally feel like that look is a bit dated. Modern design these days, especially in tech, tend to go monochromatic. Whites, blacks, grays. You don't see much drift from that outside of special editions.

Not a perfect solution but you could buy black interior to get the wood dash and cover them with seat covers in beige: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083BH99B3/ref=twister_B08CVJNG16?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I think these covers look pretty OEM and they say that they are compatible with airbags but i know many people are weary of that claim.

Another better, safer, and more expensive option are the Katzkin seats. They are actually reupholstered and you can customize it to exactly what you want for around ~$1200 which is still cheaper than the $2k white seat option. Choose Your Design - Select Interior | Katzkin

I love my white interior and wouldn't change it. Its not hard to keep clean at all, I just wipe it down once a week with a baby wipe, but I have a rather dirty job (mechanic) so mine probably gets dirtier quicker than most.

Part of the reason I got white is because my last 4 cars all had black interiors and I was just sick of black and needed a change, lol

Reactions: EggyB and Mr X
I find most of my friends buy the black because they live in the northern climates. Solar heat not a problem. Chalk white is the only choice for people in the south bothered by solar heat. The guy who did my window tint said he gets lots of jobs to do with the black interior.

I don't see color as a dated option. Look at all the new offerings from Apple. To me, the popular look is the sporty colors. Maybe a little too much for me even though I chose a red color for my Model S.

I found this site offers the best quality and choices of custom seat covers but they are a little more expensive.
Seat Covers

Although I want a Y my wife who will be driving is said no Y if those are the only choices for interior. White is not growing on her, rather just the opposite. The more she sees the black or black and white interiors, the more she hates it. She is eying the Mustang Mach E now or once again the Model X. I don't think she will like the Falcon doors as they are sooooo slooooo to open and close.

Highly doubt I would have gotten the amount of compliments I've gotten when someone sees my white interior opposed to a typical black interior.

Everyone always loves the white seats. Especially chicks.

White seats are also normally found in high end luxury cars. Only a $1000 option in a Tesla. Must have. Super easy to clean. Mine look brand new after 1 year. Spaceship feel. Particularly Crew Dragon.

Reactions: EggyB
I am very sensitive to bright light in general, so I was worried about the white interior. No regrets. It's easy to clean and reminds me of 'spaceship' seats. I think what helped tone down the overall brightness was the 20% window tinting and wrapping the white dash.

We have been looking at Model Y for our second Tesla. The problem we have is the interior color choices.
Black is too hot for our Florida climate and that all glass roof. White is too hard on our eyes and seems would be difficult to keep clean.
We have the Model S with Cream and Oak interior and love it and would prefer that but it is not offered.

How many of you Y owners would have chosen that color design as opposed to what you chose assuming the cost was not an issue.
I have a red Model S with the Cream and Oak interior and also love it. I have the white on my red Model Y and hate it because of the reflection, and also, it looks cheap compared to the Cream of the Model S.

Reactions: TravelFree