Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Interior Specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interior Dimensions

Head Room Front : 41.0 in or 1,041 mm

Head Room Rear : 39.4 in or 1,001 mm

Leg Room Front : 41.8 in or 1,063 mm

Leg Room Rear ; 40.5 in or 1,029 mm

Shoulder Room Front : 56.4 in or 1,432 mm

Shoulder Room Rear : 54 in or 1,373 mm

Unoffical and sourced from this article: UPDATE Tesla Model Y Complete Measurement With Interior Info

“Gross Vehicle Weight Distribution - Dual Motor: Front 46% and Rear 54%”

This surprises me as according to Elektrek the M3 has a closer to 50/50 distribution (48/52). I hope the handling doesn’t suffer as I’m used to BMWs with closer to 50/50.

For comparison here are the Model 3 specs:

Dimensions & Weight
  • Length: 184.8”
  • Width: 76.1” (72.8” with mirrors folded)
  • Height: 56.8”
  • Wheelbase: 113.2”
  • Track (wheel center): 62.2” front and rear
  • Ground clearance: 5.5”
  • Head room, standard: 39.6” front row, 37.7” second row
  • Head room, glass roof: 40.3” front row, 37.7” second row
  • Leg room: 42.7” front row, 35.2” second row
  • Shoulder room: 56.3” front row, 54.0” second row
  • Hip room: 53.4” front row, 52.4” second row
  • Seating capacity: 5 adults
  • Luggage capacity: 15 cubic feet
  • Curb weight:
    • 3549 lbs. (Model 3)
    • 3814 lbs. (Model 3 Long Range)
  • Weight distribution:
    • 47% front, 53% rear (Model 3)
    • 48% front, 52% rear (Model 3 Long Range)
Source:
Tesla Model 3 production specs revealed: up to 310 miles range, 140 mph top speed, and more - Electrek

Looks like just as narrow inside as a 3, but with more headroom and rear legroom. I’m definitely going to ignore Tesla’s emails until I can sit in one. The wife and I need our distance after 11 years.

I don't know how the MY has 1 inch less of leg room then the M3.. Maybe they moved the seats forward some to get the bigger rear leg room? I guess they slide back and forth so not a big deal.. just curious how they are measured.

“Gross Vehicle Weight Distribution - Dual Motor: Front 46% and Rear 54%”

This surprises me as according to Elektrek the M3 has a closer to 50/50 distribution (48/52). I hope the handling doesn’t suffer as I’m used to BMWs with closer to 50/50.

For comparison here are the Model 3 specs:

Dimensions & Weight
  • Length: 184.8”
  • Width: 76.1” (72.8” with mirrors folded)
  • Height: 56.8”
  • Wheelbase: 113.2”
  • Track (wheel center): 62.2” front and rear
  • Ground clearance: 5.5”
  • Head room, standard: 39.6” front row, 37.7” second row
  • Head room, glass roof: 40.3” front row, 37.7” second row
  • Leg room: 42.7” front row, 35.2” second row
  • Shoulder room: 56.3” front row, 54.0” second row
  • Hip room: 53.4” front row, 52.4” second row
  • Seating capacity: 5 adults
  • Luggage capacity: 15 cubic feet
  • Curb weight:
    • 3549 lbs. (Model 3)
    • 3814 lbs. (Model 3 Long Range)
  • Weight distribution:
    • 47% front, 53% rear (Model 3)
    • 48% front, 52% rear (Model 3 Long Range)
Source:
Tesla Model 3 production specs revealed: up to 310 miles range, 140 mph top speed, and more - Electrek

A significant factor affecting Model Y front leg room is the built up floor. In this still from Sandy Munro's Tesla Model Y tear-down you can see how thick the foam insert under the front floor mat is . This EPP foam raises the floor mat 3 inches over the floor pan and is up to 6 inches thick front to back. These 6 inches are a major front leg room reduction. It is very likely that in addition to raising the floor to facilitate the wiring this insert has impact on lower extremity injury reduction in crash.

sandy-munro-model-y-teardown.jpg

Last edited:
I'll just say, with over 1000 miles as a 6'2" male, This is one of the most comfortable cars I have driven. For a tall person its a godsend. I have driven the Model S and Model 3... could never own one of them. This car not only is fun to drive, but it is COMFY!! If I had one complaint, the door armrest could be a little softer, that is nit picking though, its really fine and on par with other cars... just thinking above and beyond lol. Another comment on the leg room, it just feels roomy in the foot well, maybe its wider then most cars down there.. not sure exactly, but I never feel crowded. I used to own a Jeep Cherokee (the newer generation from the past several years) and my knee always felt cramped against the center console, just poor judgment on how bulky that center console area was. The Model Y just nails it!

Reactions: EinSV