Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Is my car totaled?

Is my Model Y Totaled

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jravi

Jul 27, 2021
USA
Hello, Someone had rear ended my Model Y at full speed over the weekend while I was fully stopped at a traffic on the Highway. My car had incurred some damage on the front too because when the other guy rear ended my car, my car had hit the car stopped in front of me. The airbags were not deployed. I am waiting to get everything started with insurance to see if repairable or totaled. I thought I would get others opinion who might be able to tell from some photos. My Model Y is less than a year old car and it has 7000 miles on it. So, it would be great if I could get some expert advices about how to procced with the diminished value and loos of use if the car is repairable. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG-6164.JPG
    IMG-6164.JPG
    740 KB · Views: 1,739
  • IMG-6162.JPG
    IMG-6162.JPG
    722.4 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG-6163.JPG
    IMG-6163.JPG
    666.7 KB · Views: 683
Reactions: DanDi58
As a a previous poster said, it’s up to your insurance…. But per my own experiences…. 99.9% that’s totaled

Update: Just noticed you mentioned airbags did not go off… so probability might be much less… like 70%.. depends what level of damage they find in the underlying structure…

Last edited:
Is it "totalled" in the sense it is unrepairable? Maybe not. Doesn't look like it got into the frame and battery could be ok. But, insurance could still declare it a loss when the repair price comes back depending on their current assessed value of the vehicle.

It seems almost all of the panels would need to be replaced, which could get you close to the value of the car already. Looks like you might need to replace some of the cargo space in the trunk too. Add to that possible replacement of wheels etc. It's not unrepairable, but your insurance might still determine that it's not worth it. Not an expert, but either way, doesn't look like you'll be driving a MY for quite a while. Sorry this happened to you...

That massive gap on the front passenger headlight is crazy. The headlight doesn't look damaged yet the whole front end's vody paneling is lifted up and away. Follow it to the A pillar, that is whacky. I'm leaning towards very very expensive, hopefully for you expensive enough to wreck it and call it a day.

I don't think you should have accepted the car from the service center with panel gaps like that. ;-) All kidding aside, I'd try my best to make sure the car is totaled. The wait for a new one is probably not too much longer than it would take for a certified body shop to get the parts and put your car back together. I'd expect you'd never be happy with a car recovered from that much damage, no matter the diminished value amount.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
My opinion (which is all it is) is that I'd try like hell to make them total it, although I think you shouldn't have too many problems there. Remember it's an insurance company so you should expect to go several rounds, ie say "no" several times before you get a satisfactory result

I just wouldn't want to ride in it after it got fixed, plus you can't sell it as One-owner-no-accidents

You could order a replacement, but you'd then have to join one of the Waiting Room threads, however you might end up with a vehicle with some significant upgrades. Then again, how long will it take for this to be repaired anyway?

I hope you saved the dashcam footage to prove you got pushed into the vehicle in front

... and keep us posted on the outcome

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Honestly if I were you, I'd ask insurance if they can total it.

Even once fixed, your car may not be up to what it once was; you may have new rattles and such. With a new car, you'll have the peace of mind of not having to worry about something that was left unfixed and is a ticking time bomb.

Plus you'll get all of the new features that you may have missed out on (laminated glass, heated steering wheel, new center console, bioweapon defense) with your original VIN.

It's unfortunate when this happens. I once traded a vehicle that was one month old after the dealer's porter crashed my vehicle (the car had 1100 miles on the odometer) into a concrete pillar. It cost me some time, many phone calls and in the end some money to get out of the vehicle. (I got them to sell me a new vehicle at their cost and pay half of the sales tax for the new vehicle.) Best decision I ever made with a vehicle, never looked back.

You have the opportunity to get the vehicle you want with the hindsight of having driven your Model Y for some time. If you are going to get another Tesla I would put down the deposit right away. Work with your Sales Advisor, you might be able to be matched with a Tesla vehicle relatively quickly. The current estimated delivery time for the Performance Model Y is just 7 to 9 weeks.

Last edited:
First, I hope all occupants are ok. I'm sorry that you find yourself in this position.

Second, I don't think anyone (myself included) can tell you if it is or isn't totalled from these pictures. If I had to speculate I would say it could go either way. They may very well try to repair this, however, if the adjuster knows about a possible diminished value claim they may just total it.

For your sake I hope they declare it a total loss. With both front end + rear end damage like that the diminished value claim would be pretty high IMO.

You should order a new one ASAP if they total it though because a quick check shows estimated delivery of November if you order today (July 28th).

I am not an insurance adjuster of course and everything I say is pure speculation based on my life experiences.

Reactions: zpaul