Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Is my car totaled?

Is my Model Y Totaled

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put the order in anyway. Worst case, you'll be out a hundred spondoolicks

If the insurance company d**ks you around, tell them your neck is really sore, though you're not certain it's medical, maybe it's a stress thing from all that worrying over whether the car is going to get totaled or repaired and how totaling it would eliminate the stress and allow you to get on with your life, which would be good when you consider all the days you've been missing from work

If you're a girl, then hint at some "womanly injury", because I guarantee if it's a bloke you're talking to, he'll sign off on it there and then! 😈

I'll start by saying any forum is the last place you should look for "expert" advice. You never mentioned if the Y is purchased or leased? That obviously makes a difference. With the market value for cars being higher than usual right now, it will take more to total out a vehicle than usual. Having your vehicle totaled isn't all rainbows and unicorns like everyone makes it out to be. It's not like the insurance company makes a new vehicle appear out of nowhere for free. If it is totaled, you'll get reimbursed the market value not the amount you owe if financing. That may leave you upside down if you owe more than it's market value, which tends to be the case with new cars. Also that means you'll need to buy a new Y, which is now more expensive than a year ago.
If it's repairable, just get it fixed at a reputable shop of your choice and request OEM parts. Then estimate the diminished value using the 17c Diminished Value Formula and request the amount from the at fault's insurer. If the shop is reputable and uses OEM parts, you shouldn't even notice that the car was ever in an accident. When trying to sell it, yes it will be worth less due to the accident history, but you would have already been compensated for that via the diminished value claim.

Having your vehicle totaled isn't all rainbows and unicorns like everyone makes it out to be.
I agree with everything you said in your post, but for me it's not an expectation to get a new vehicle, or even avoid being upside-down, it's more that I just wouldn't want to drive a previously wrecked vehicle - and yes we can debate the meaning of the term "wrecked", but this would probably suffice for me

My M3 was rear-ended on the freeway while I was stopped for traffic and I was hit with the other party going well over 50. In Oregon, the damage has to be more than 80% of the value. My car was 1 year old and had 12,000 miles. Probably is that the first estimate is rough as they couldn’t start the car. Started at $16,000 so they were told to fix it. After getting it started, ended up being $30,000. Car was valued at $48,000. Fixed it but it took 4-1/2 months. Good luck. Oh and that’s why I have an MY now.

Agree that only your insurance company will have the final say. For comps, I'd recommend you take a look at the 99 totaled MYs here.
My guess is the adjuster noticed the flesh-colored wrap on this MY and immediately totaled it—no further investigation required.

DF3AC8E6-F80E-4E05-9F35-33387E1C1D6B.jpeg

I'll start by saying any forum is the last place you should look for "expert" advice.
With the market value for cars being higher than usual right now, it will take more to total out a vehicle than usual.

Yeah, but on the plus side, these cars go for a lot of money at the salvage auctions because of that same effect. And labor and parts costs for Tesla's isn't going down, so often the insurance will come out ahead to sell the car at salvage auction and pay off the owner than paying to fix it and deal with diminished value and rental cars.

Sounds like the outcome you were looking for and glad everyone is safe.

Get your order in right away. Yes they are more expensive now but your also going to get better market value for your loss. It will balance out or close enough. Will they put you in a rental until your vehicle can be replaced?

Wish you the best of luck with this. Hopefully it will be a speedy and hassle free process.

Thank you all for your concerns and responses. Yes, all the occupants were safe with no injuries. And just few minutes back I got a call from my adjuster confirming that my Model Y is totaled.
That was probably the best outcome. You get a "do-over" and have some time to get a few more updates to your new build. Will you be given a loaner vehicle, if so, for how long?

That was probably the best outcome. You get a "do-over" and have some time to get a few more updates to your new build. Will you be given a loaner vehicle, if so, for how long?
Yes, you can't tell by looking at pictures unless the car is completely unrecognizable. Now the important part is making sure the insurance company gives you a fair market value for the car! Last time I checked these vehicles are fetching pretty high prices like most other used vehicles right now.