Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y is the Truck!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a P90D Model S today, phenomenal experience 10/10 would drive again, and along the ride I mentioned that I was interested in the speculated pick up truck more so than the 3 and the rep said that musk has confirmed that the Model Y is a truck =D Also said that it was a few years off, but we knew that

Dealership people don't have secret information. If they did, there would be leaks all the time about this and that. When there is a leak from them it's know by almost everyone here at the same time, so unless I see more of these posts I'll take this with a grain of salt.

I don't see a truck for a long time for reasons written above.

Based on a casual survey I conducted while stuck in traffic, any Tesla truck would have to be based on the "S" platform, not the "3". The "3" isn't anywhere big enough, the percentage of small pickups is less than 10%. Granted, if I was in the market for an electric pickup, I'd want a small one; but I really want a hatchback/CUV.

Reactions: 1208
Dealership people don't have secret information. If they did, there would be leaks all the time about this and that. When there is a leak from them it's know by almost everyone here at the same time, so unless I see more of these posts I'll take this with a grain of salt.

I don't see a truck for a long time for reasons written above.

Tesla has none of these dealership people of which you type.

Well, OK, they may have former stealership people but those have all been... reformed. Redeemed, even. Reconstituted?

Anyway, yeah, the Model Y/truck thing is not new. The only question is whether there will first be a CPU (think Ford Ranger) or a full-sized one (Ford F-150). Since many people buy pickups due to price, and since that price point will be met by used Model 3s, maybe they'll lead with a full-size.

Although I do remember reading somewhere that the CUV based upon the Model 3 platform was going to be first anyway.

I meant service center people or whatever "rep" the OP is talking about. The next iteration of the vehicle is known by maybe 50 people. I personally know a few people that work at Tesla at mid/upper level and they either won't say anything or just don't know. That type of information would never go to the bottom of the totem pole. This isn't to say the truck is or isn't coming, it's just saying no one outside knows.

Not sure I believe it. A mistake if true, IMO. Small SUV/crossovers are where the money is right now in the car industry.

To put some numbers into this:

European car sales 2015. SUV's are now the best selling segment:

europeisk-bilforsaljnings-2015-marknadsandelar-bilklasser.jpg

China:

SUVs Drive Gains in China Auto Sales

The biggest driver was demand for SUVs, sales of which jumped 46% in March from a year earlier, with nearly 219,000 more vehicles sold, the auto-association group said.
By contrast, sedan sales suffered a year-over-year decline of 3.3%, extending a 12% loss in the first two months of the year.

Model Y won't be a truck. It will be the Model X counterpart based off the Model 3 drivetrain. CUVs and SUVs are the hot item today.

Possible on the world market you are correct... but in the US the top three vehicles for sales are #1 the Ford F-series pickup, #2 the Chevy Silverado pickup, and #3 the Dodge Ram pickup. First car on the list at #4 is the Toyota Camry (also not a cross over or SUV) first cross over at #8 is the Toyota Rav4.

As much as people on the coasts like to pretend that the fly over states don't exist, they do... as much as they like to pretend 5 rednecks in Texas like Pickup trucks and nobody else in America drives them that is not the case. The top selling pickup truck has almost double the sales by itself of the top selling car. If Tesla wants to ignore this that is fine... but people on a message board saying it isn't true doesn't change the facts.

Keith

In the midwest, trucks are very commonplace. Mostly full F-150 sized. Those with smaller trucks are generally only driving smaller trucks because they couldn't afford the bigger ones. Just FYI.

The problem with trucks is aerodynamics. That, and hauling stuff. The battery cost needs to come down more before Tesla builds a truck, because a truck will need a very big battery. Hopefully the Gigafactory will deliver on that.

Crossover/CUV is definitely big -- probably why Tesla decided to build the X before the 3 -- but trucks are definitely up there in popularity too.

WardsFeb2016-2015-Crossovers.jpg

Last edited:
In the midwest, trucks are very commonplace. Mostly full F-150 sized. Those with smaller trucks are generally only driving smaller trucks because they couldn't afford the bigger ones. Just FYI.

The problem with trucks is aerodynamics. That, and hauling stuff. The battery cost needs to come down more before Tesla builds a truck, because a truck will need a very big battery. Hopefully the Gigafactory will deliver on that.

Crossover/CUV is definitely big -- probably why Tesla decided to build the X before the 3 -- but trucks are definitely up there in popularity too.

Is that a chart of sales growth? Or is it sales by type rather than individual top sellers? I think that the X was a grab for luxury CUV sales, and they may have blown it with the Falcon wing doors... they can only be used in areas where it never snows or you have protected parking at work and where you do your shopping. Opening that thing up covered in snow or ice would be a no go. Before it actually hit market when I dreamed about future car purchases it was a toss up between a Model S and a Model X with the X having a lead due to its tow rating... after it hit market with those stupid doors it was S all the way.

As far as pickup trucks go, I see an Electric truck as direct competition with the Diesel pickup. The Diesel pickup is usually the top of the line pushing into the 60K+ price range, and the through line on advertising is "unparalleled torque blah blah blah..." What has torque that rivals a V8 Turbo Diesel? An electric motor :D

I know the expense of the battery pack is a huge issue now, but I hope the gigafactory brings prices down enough to make this viable. The nice thing about a pickup is you have plenty of space and weight hauling capacity to put a 200kWh battery or more... if you could afford it!

Just like cars, most pickups never haul anything other than sailboat fuel, and are driven back and forth to work like a commuter car... the other category is a "farm truck" that actually gets used to haul things in the bed or via the receiver hitch / fifth wheel setup. Even for that most use is "local" not hauling stuff cross country.

Even as a "like it, don't need it" person where pickups are concerned, no way in hell would I want to do a cross country trip hauling something like a large camper behind an electric pickup... the already "challenged" aerodynamics would be even worse, and the weight would be a range suck as well.

Anyway, I figure we will know more about the "Y" when we learn something about the "3"... the specs are not set in stone on the Model 3, so we are just being silly speculating about the "Y". I hope for a new Roadster myself. I would be looking for a used roadster if they were Supercharger capable.

Keith