Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y -- Is this a good deal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks, I am in the market for a Model Y Performance with FSD and 21" UT wheels. I came across this listing on Tesla's inventory. Is this a good deal? What are factors and warning signs I should be vigilant of?

I also see similarly spec'd "New" 2020 Demo models being listed for around $65K. Would you say that these are better deals?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-01-07 at 9.12.53 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-01-07 at 9.12.53 AM.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 121
Hi Folks, I am in the market for a Model Y Performance with FSD and 21" UT wheels. I came across this listing on Tesla's inventory. Is this a good deal? What are factors and warning signs I should be vigilant of?

I also see similarly spec'd "New" 2020 Demo models being listed for around $65K. Would you say that these are better deals?
Well a brand new performance model Y is $59K.

So it would really depend on the options included.

If it’s the car I think it is, the price appears to be around $10k less than a comparably equipped new 2021 or about $6k less than comparably equipped new/demo 2020s currently available.

Keep in mind that an inventory car would have to be shipped to your location (unless you went to pick it up yourself) which would add to the price e.g., shipping from IL to FL would likely add around $1k.

If it has the color, options, etc. that you are looking for and you are comfortable buying a used car sight unseen, it seems like a reasonable price. Better than many of the PP offerings that have been out there.

Another thing to consider is that FSD is expected to be available via subscription soon which may be more appealing versus have to pay the full $10k upfront.

Good points. I agree, recent PP asks are in the $67K range which based on these listings, are disconnected from reality.

Do you know if Tesla would send detailed pics of any imperfections before they ship and you commit?

A brand new similarly spec'd mode is $72K not including the destination fee. I'm looking for apples-apples feedback.
“Similarly specd” meaning what?

No one can see the specs based on the image you provided.

A brand new Performance Model Y is $59K in the US. What options does the one you posted a photo of have? No one can answer your question without those details.

Sorry about that.

Here you go:
  • Deep Blue Metallic Paint
  • 21’’ Überturbine Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior
  • Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Performance Upgrade
  • Five Seat Interior
  • Carbon Fiber Spoiler
  • Performance Pedals
  • Performance Brakes

Sorry about that.

Here you go:
  • Deep Blue Metallic Paint
  • 21’’ Überturbine Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior
  • Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Performance Upgrade
  • Five Seat Interior
  • Carbon Fiber Spoiler
  • Performance Pedals
  • Performance Brakes
the only option that deviates from a new Performance MY is the potential inclusion of FSD.

If “Full Self-Driving Capability” means it has the FSD software unlocked you are saving around $8500. But you are getting a used car with a few thousand miles.

Not a great deal IMO.

There is also a possibility that FSD software is NOT included. Only the hardware. In which case it is a very bad deal.

So the question you need to ask yourself is; what is FSD worth to you? Are you even interested in it? Is it better to wait for the subscription model?

Thanks for the feedback. What would you consider a good deal for a similarly spec'd vehicle and do you have an example?
Again there really isn’t much when it comes to “specs”

It’s either a Performance Model or not.
Has FSD or not.

You can price out those options on Tesla.com then look at used vehicles and come up with some sort of depreciation calculation. It’s up to you whether saving $1/mile on the odometer (or whatever the number is) is worth it to you.

Do you know if Tesla would send detailed pics of any imperfections before they ship and you commit?
You can ask but it's very unlikely that Tesla would provide pictures for you.

Part of "how good of a deal" it is depends on how much you value FSD. If FSD is not a must have for you, I would suggest considering a brand new 2021 without FSD which would run only slightly more (assuming you pick blue one of the other $1k colors) than this used one. You could also choose one of the discounted 2020 demos without FSD for less.

FSD can always be added later and, as I mentioned above, the upcoming monthly subscription plan may end up being more appealing depending on the terms, how long you plan to keep the car, etc.

@Plan B What happened? I am in the market to buy one from Tesla. Would you share your experience? TIA
I also turned down 3 new inventory Tesla Performance Y’s at the end of the year and ended up buying another new inventory S instead. In the end the discount Tesla offered vs the damage and wear on inventory cars didn’t justify the Y purchase. I was trying to add my latest purchase to the 2020 sales goal to help Tesla reach the 500k mark but none of the available options met my expectations. I wound up trading our 2019 Performance 3 in on a new inventory S on Jan 2nd instead of the Performance Y’s that we were planning on buying because after careful consideration of the value for the money, how much better the S rides, the far greater Model S range and better overall S build quality the new Raven S’s don’t disappoint. I will probably eventually add a Model Y to our Tesla fleet but in my opinion Tesla needs some time to fine tune the assembly quality. The current newest pricing on the Model S, level of standard equipment, performance and efficiency and the level of refinement they have achieved on the S make it a comparable bargain to the original S’s we bought back in 2017.

Last edited:
I also turned down 3 new inventory Tesla Performance Y’s at the end of the year and ended up buying another new inventory S instead. In the end the discount Tesla offered vs the damage and wear on inventory cars didn’t justify the Y purchase. I was trying to add my latest purchase to the 2020 sales goal to help Tesla reach the 500k mark but none of the available options met my expectations. I wound up trading our 2019 Performance 3 in on a new inventory S on Jan 2nd instead of the Performance Y’s that we were planning on buying because after careful consideration of the value for the money, how much better the S rides, the far greater Model S range and better overall S build quality the new Raven S’s don’t disappoint. I will probably eventually add a Model Y to our Tesla fleet but in my opinion Tesla needs some time to fine tune the assembly quality. The current newest pricing on the Model S, level of standard equipment, performance and efficiency and the level of refinement they have achieved on the S make it a comparable bargain to the original S’s we bought back in 2017.
What type of damage and wear did you find on the Y's you considered?

What type of damage and wear did you find on the Y's you considered?
One of the Y’s only had 20 or 30 miles but was displayed in a mall store and had excess wear on the drivers seat and other interior trim plus small scratches here and there on the exterior, bumper covers not fitting right plus panel alignment issues. Non of these issues would be repaired because they said they are reflected in the discount applied to inventory cars. Another Performance Y I drove to pick up had 3 door dings on two doors that likely were good candidates for PDR before their attempts at repair but they tried to touch them up with paint, bad wet sanding and buffing, then they were no longer easy PDR repairs. They offered to see see the manager would offer PDR but at that point the results would be as is if I accepted it. The last one was just too dirty, not cleaned at all and in the rain so inspection is impossible for cosmetic issues. I own an auto dealership and you never buy anything in the rain unless it is a absolute steal because there is too much room for surprise.

Nah, I'm kinda bummed I didn't. I was just too scared to take a shot at paying the $500 non-refundable deposit plus the $1K to ship the car here only to find it had too many imperfections. Lesson learned because I don't see another that's even close to this price, and that had all the options and color I wanted. Next time I'll take the shot.