Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Key Fob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All;

Has there been any info on if the Model Y will have a key fob. I have seen a lot of frustration from Model 3 owners in key card feature as a key. With the model Y having a power lift gate, I can't imagine it not having a key fob, especially if it is not foot activated. Would love to know if there has been any confirmation on a Model Y Key fob.

Thanks

You can purchase Key Fob for the M3, so worst case is to buy one or two for the MY if not standard. Funny thing is some people used to praise about the absence of Key Fob for the M3 before the car was released. Be thankful that they have not removed Homelink from the MY.

Hi All;

Has there been any info on if the Model Y will have a key fob. I have seen a lot of frustration from Model 3 owners in key card feature as a key. With the model Y having a power lift gate, I can't imagine it not having a key fob, especially if it is not foot activated. Would love to know if there has been any confirmation on a Model Y Key fob.

Thanks

I would 100% expect the Model Y to have the same key card as the Model 3. The power lift gate can be opened remotely via the app which is admittedly a bit slower that being able to use a tactile fob.

I'm expecting Tesla will eventually release the optional key fob that looks like a mini MY just like they have for the M3.

Reactions: Joey_82
As of today, Homelink is still included, but even if not included like the current
M3, it's only 300.00 extra.
  • Premium Interior
  • 12-way power adjustable front and rear heated seats
  • Three independently folding 2nd row seats
  • Premium audio – 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound
  • Premium Connectivity (1 year included)
  • Location aware automatic garage door opener
  • LED fog lamps
  • Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
  • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
  • Music and media over Bluetooth®
  • Custom driver profiles
  • Center console with storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones

Like someone else mentioned, I'd expect the Y to be the same as the 3 - including key cards but eventually releasing a physical fob as well.

On the plus side, for those who do like to use the key card and already have a Model 3, you'll probably be able to use a single card for both vehicles.

Reactions: Fiddler
Hi All;

Thanks

Remember, this is a forum and for every issue raised here, there are probably a few hundred happy users not seeing any issues.
I'd expect that the Model Y will have the same trunk opening button as the Model 3, just as many of the vehicles on the market do today.
As well as a new option to open from the app.

Key fobs are a thing of the past.

Of course everyone thinks their opinion is the right one. I have both the MS and M3 (given to daughter), I think the key card is a disaster, the bluetooth phone automatic unlock and start is fine since you do not have to pull it out of your pocket, waving the key card up close to the door to unlock is silly. Key Fob does the same thing in your pocket or purse as far as automatic door opening and starting the car, but I would rather double click something in my pocket to open the lift gate or frunk than pull out my phone, face ID to unlock, start the app and click on something. Of course, it would be ideal if Tesla add a foot sensor for the lift gate, that would make phone or Key Fob unlock perfect, still no win for that silly key card.

Hi All;

Thanks

Note: the Model 3 functions differently than the S/X in terms of fob / phone.

I've had a model 3 for 6+ months. I've used the key card once.. to register my phone as a key.

When I walk up to my 3 with my phone in my pocket and open a door it unlocks more than half the time. When I walk away from my 3 with the phone in my pocket it locks automatically. No fob, no keycard (it's in my wallet for backup). If the car doesn't unlock automatically and I am impatient I take the iPhone out of my pocket and wake it up (just so the screen comes on, no need to unlock) and it unlocks automatically every time.

If I need to unlock the car, or pop the trunk, or even allow the car to be driven remotely the app works great (bluetooth or car connected to cell/wifi).

For my usage I haven't once wished I had the fob.

Note: the Model 3 functions differently than the S/X in terms of fob / phone.

I've had a model 3 for 6+ months. I've used the key card once.. to register my phone as a key.

When I walk up to my 3 with my phone in my pocket and open a door it unlocks more than half the time. When I walk away from my 3 with the phone in my pocket it locks automatically. No fob, no keycard (it's in my wallet for backup). If the car doesn't unlock automatically and I am impatient I take the iPhone out of my pocket and wake it up (just so the screen comes on, no need to unlock) and it unlocks automatically every time.

If I need to unlock the car, or pop the trunk, or even allow the car to be driven remotely the app works great (bluetooth or car connected to cell/wifi).

The fob has worked for me every time, never had to take it out of my pocket to open the vehicle.

Its nice to have so many options. Only downside to the fob is $150 price tag.

One of my favourite aspects of the Model 3 is not needing to use a traditional key fob and just being able to walk up, open the door, get in. And same with locking, just walking away and hearing it beep/honk as confirmation. In 6 months of ownerships I've rarely ever had it fail to unlock with the phone in my pocket. I truly get annoyed by the weight and shape of a key fob and having yet another thing to keep in my pocket / on me when going out.

Though I really do like how they have all these options available - and how easy it is to program a fob / key card / phone to the car!

Fob is well worth the $150. And works the same as people describe their phone. Walk up and it unlocks, walk away and the car locks. This makes since since the fob is Bluetooth based. On difference I noticed is the fob works 100% of the time. Phone maybe 90%

For us it is great because we also have an X which came with a fob that works the same as the one for the 3. Minus self-presenting and self closing doors.

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric Steve
Key fobs are a thing of the past.
Disagree. I don't want a phone-based access system to my car. I don't a wallet based system for unlocking my car either. Getting the initial key fob (even without proximity automatic unlock) made my daily driver model 3 experience tolerable. Getting the upgraded key fob made it nearly as good as Model S (and better in some ways).

Also, show me a key card that can do Summon.

I think your expectations are lower than they need to be. "More than half the time"?

Automatic lock and unlock work for me 100% of the time in my Model 3. Via the key fob in my pocket.

I don't get why people willingly put up with "more than half the time" when all the time is easily achievable.

Also I don't have to worry about handing it to a valet, unlike a phone.

I think your expectations are lower than they need to be. "More than half the time"?

Automatic lock and unlock work for me 100% of the time in my Model 3. Via the key fob in my pocket.

I don't get why people willingly put up with "more than half the time" when all the time is easily achievable.

Also I don't have to worry about handing it to a valet, unlike a phone.

The other half of the time, all I have to do is take the phone out of my pocket. Which I'd have to do in 30 seconds later anyway to put on the wireless charger. I just don't want another fob that I don't need.

The valet isn't getting my phone. But I can see where a fob would be preferred over the card. ( Valet gave my card key to another Tesla driver. It’s gone. )

The other half of the time, all I have to do is take the phone out of my pocket. Which I'd have to do in 30 seconds later anyway to put on the wireless charger. I just don't want another fob that I don't need.

The valet isn't getting my phone. But I can see where a fob would be preferred over the card. ( Valet gave my card key to another Tesla driver. It’s gone. )
I find it kind of ironic that folks don't want to carry something as small as a fob in their pocket that allows thing to operate as designed 100% of the time but will carry these phablets all the time that operate @ 50%. Go figure.

I find it kind of ironic that folks don't want to carry something as small as a fob in their pocket that allows thing to operate as designed 100% of the time but will carry these phablets all the time that operate @ 50%. Go figure.

Interesting that you took that away from the posters, because as he replied, it's actually 100% success.
And what you leave out is that you are carrying the fob AND the phone.
I have a fob, I just don't need to carry it. I have a fob for another car, I now wish that I didn't have to carry it.

Us Carolina Tar-heel's thank alike. iPhone works great.

Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 11.25.57 AM.png