Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Knocking Noise. What to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had a front end knocking noise from my Tesla Model Y Performance since new. It’s a late 2022 72 UK reg from China.

Shortly after getting the car I had Tesla check it out. They said they could hear a noise too. They checked all suspension bolts and said they were torqued to spec and left it at that. The noise was still there so I raised a service request again. This time they said it might be coming from the shocks so they ordered replacements. The replacements have now arrived and been fitted after waiting a few months. When leaving the car in I asked them to check all suspension joints, halfshafts and diff for play too in case these could have been the cause. They’ve said they can see no play anywhere and everything is as it should and there are no further parts to replace to fix the issue.

I’m not sure what to do now. I’m considering trying to return the car but ideally would like to have the problem solved. Any advice would be appreciated.

Video below with knocking noise.

Ask tesla to examine rear liftgate to ensure it is aligned properly and not traveling up and down over bumps. Mine needed adjusting because it sounded like a snare drum over almost all roads. After the fix, I only heard the noises on rough roads. I have rented a few myp and that make the noise on rough roads So I think That is normal sound when driving over roads which have a rough rocky, uneven surface. we have a few roads like that where I live and my 2022 MYP sounds the same as yours. Seems like rear hatch plastic vibrations to me in my car at least. In my case majority of roads when I live have been resurfaced and are smooth so the car is very quiet usually.
I could be wrong, try renting a few other MYP and drive them on same road if possible.

Last edited:
I'm at 44k miles. ZERO rattles, knocking of any kind. The OP's "knocking" sound is NOT normal. It doesn't sound like a hatch alignment problem.

Has the SC removed ALL protective aero shields and inspected ALL suspension parts, or only the front end?

The noise is definitely coming from the front of the car. I wish I could say the same as you. I have a few interior rattles that I’m willing to live with but the front end knocking sound is something else.

I have tested two other MYP’s at the same SC and they make the same noise too. All cars were registered at a similar time so I’m wondering if it is an issue with a certain part at a certain time.

Hi, I have a similar problem with a noise that always comes from the front. The noise manifests itself when the car takes potholes or road bumps, it sounds like a "clunk" and searching on the internet I found a video where SPLPARTS branded endlinks are replaced that has spherical joints and would solve the problem.

I'll put the video here if it can help, hoping that's the problem.

Hi, I have a similar problem with a noise that always comes from the front. The noise manifests itself when the car takes potholes or road bumps, it sounds like a "clunk" and searching on the internet I found a video where SPLPARTS branded endlinks are replaced that has spherical joints and would solve the problem.

I'll put the video here if it can help, hoping that's the problem.

100% not related to the roll bar. Disconnected the links and it’s still there. Took a drive in a few other MYP and they all do it. Think it’s related to slack in the gears in the drive unit. Pretty much given up on a resolution.

I'm really sorry, the problem in your video is very similar to mine. I have a great time with the car, but this noise is unacceptable. If I take a car to the SC here in Italy they tell me that they hear the noise, but they can't do anything about it. Even if they changed the whole front, the noise would recur, so they say.

I wanted to give it a try by changing those 2 endlinks with those of SPLPARTS, I also found another video that changed the same pieces and solved.

But your test without endlinks a little discourages me, without those 2 original pieces I thought the noise didn't.

But do you hear the noise the same way? Same frequency or does it change when you don't have the endlinks mounted?

Even having the car taken by another person, the noise in the right front is heard much less, almost imperceptible. Instead, while driving you feel more.

But is it possible that we can't shout to Tesla that we have this problem and it needs to be solved? It is not possible to have a new car like this!

The noise is exactly the same with endlinks disconnected. The only thing I can think of is excessive play in the differential and drive shafts. You can test this by jacking one front wheel up and rotating it back and forth. Mine makes a knocking sound which sounds like excessive play inside the differential. It seems all MYP’s are like this as I’ve test drove another couple of cars. This play also causes the drive unit to shake which results in even more noise coming from the front rearmost motor mounts. It all happens at the same time so sounds like the same noise. I am not 100% sure this is the noise I hear while driving but can not find anything else.

For me, the issue came after installing Eibach springs and 4000km later the right locking nut for the shock piston rod was loose. Should be tightened 20NM but I guess it should be replaced when doing springs.

For me, the issue came after installing Eibach springs and 4000km later the right locking nut for the shock piston rod was loose. Should be tightened 20NM but I guess it should be replaced when doing springs.
Si potrebbe essere, cercando su internet quel bullone lento anche su altre auto può generare il rumore che sento io. Chissà se posso fare da solo senza andare al service tesla, perché non credo mi ascolterebbero.

Si può fare senza tirare su l'auto e senza smontare la sospensione?

Grazie

You could be, looking on the internet that slow bolt even on other cars can generate the noise I hear. I wonder if I can do it myself without going to the Tesla service, because I don't think they would listen to me.

Can it be done without pulling up the car and without disassembling the suspension?

Thanks

I'm really sorry, the problem in your video is very similar to mine. I have a great time with the car, but this noise is unacceptable. If I take a car to the SC here in Italy they tell me that they hear the noise, but they can't do anything about it. Even if they changed the whole front, the noise would recur, so they say.

I wanted to give it a try by changing those 2 endlinks with those of SPLPARTS, I also found another video that changed the same pieces and solved.

But your test without endlinks a little discourages me, without those 2 original pieces I thought the noise didn't.

But do you hear the noise the same way? Same frequency or does it change when you don't have the endlinks mounted?

Even having the car taken by another person, the noise in the right front is heard much less, almost imperceptible. Instead, while driving you feel more.

But is it possible that we can't shout to Tesla that we have this problem and it needs to be solved? It is not possible to have a new car like this!
The service in the US is just as bad with this issue. I have been in 3 times, and they pretend not to hear it. I drove a few loaner model 3 and model Y, and tehy had no such noise. It was much more enjoyable to drive. Did you try to replace the sway bar links like the video above? I think this is truly the problem, because the sound is identical to the sound from my old SAAB suspension when they were bad. It is an easy DIY job. I will try this next on my M3 RWD.

I have already tried others from MEYLE. But nothing. I also bought those parts from SPLParts, but the fitting on my Tesla (china) is slightly different and at the moment I can't mount them to try. The noise also sounds to me like that of a faulty connecting rod (endlinks) but if that was the problem why don't they change the part under warranty? It is a component for them that costs only $50/$80.

I believe that if the problem is that part, they already know that they don't fix it because the endlinks they have after a while still generate the problem.
At the moment they are still waiting to find a solution, it is not pleasant to drive a car that could be perfect like that.