Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Lackluster Performance Upgrade Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure about everyone else but when I think Performance Upgrade Package (PUP), I expected similar specs to what the Model 3 has with its PUP.

There are two key pieces missing that I think are important.

1. This is the biggest and most important for me (also the most costly in terms of parts). From the pictures I have seen and I believe backed up by the manual, the brakes on the Model Y are the same essentially on both Standard and PUP. Diameters are 14" up front and 13.2" in the rear, no difference in diameter. But the even bigger miss I see is, no Two-Piece rotors up front either. I have been looking at pics and videos online and from what I can tell, I don't see Two-Piece rotors.. if anyone has a PUP and can verify that would be great.. but from my eye, I don't see them. I would have expected something like 15" Two-Piece rotors on the PUP MY.

2. No Track Mode, now while I agree, the Model Y wasn't meant to be tracked, I can't help but feel like this was a bit of an oversite.. BMW sells X6 M's that can be tracked, why not a Model Y PUP? Again I don't plan on tracking my MY, but with its low center of gravity I can bet it would still do well, especially with those massive tires ;)

I am also curious if someone could get the ground clearance on a MY PUP next to a Standard MY, measure at the same point, I am willing to bet its the same or just a couple mm difference.

I just feel like the PUP on the Model Y is turning into one of those situations where BMW just slaps on a M badge, puts on some bigger wheels and tires and calls it a day... I guess that's why their was no price increase on the MY PUP.. there really is very little cost increase over the standard version for Tesla as the parts/features aren't all that.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
What does it matter? It’s a free upgrade package. get it!!!! If you are getting the performance model it’s ludicrous to not choose the free upgrade pack

I can't argue with Free.. just wanted to make sure everyone understood this isn't the same type of PUP you get on the Model 3 is all. It's a watered down PUP is all.. that said.. its free so no real harm, although I wish we had the two-piece rotors ;)

I'm more annoyed about the fact that there is no price difference on the PUP. I would consider getting the P, but don't want the lowered suspension or 21" wheels, so I would be paying $8K just for the faster acceleration. Those 21" wheels by themselves are probably at least a $2K difference.

I'm hoping someone getting a LR AWD will confirm that there is an acceleration boost option.

I'm more annoyed about the fact that there is no price difference on the PUP. I would consider getting the P, but don't want the lowered suspension or 21" wheels, so I would be paying $8K just for the faster acceleration. Those 21" wheels by themselves are probably at least a $2K difference.

I'm hoping someone getting a LR AWD will confirm that there is an acceleration boost option.
My understanding is that they wanted to make it optional so that you could buy the Performance without taking the range hit. Now, for me, I didn't even pause before I clicked on the PUP. I don't have range anxiety at all and I didn't buy the Performance for the pretty pedals.

Reactions: firerock

I'm in the same boat. I don't want the range loss (for road trips since I plan on doing a trip around the US with the Y), and I don't want the 21 inch wheels (they will crack in about 35 seconds with all the potholes we have around me). I do want that 3.5s 0-60 though. LR AWD with performance boost would be the ideal spec for me, but since that isn't an option right now, I'm probably going performance and I like that they give me that option without having to take all the other items.

I'm in the same boat. I don't want the range loss (for road trips since I plan on doing a trip around the US with the Y), and I don't want the 21 inch wheels (they will crack in about 35 seconds with all the potholes we have around me). I do want that 3.5s 0-60 though. LR AWD with performance boost would be the ideal spec for me, but since that isn't an option right now, I'm probably going performance and I like that they give me that option without having to take all the other items.
The Performance without the PUP is still 3.5s 0-60. What changes is the top speed, from 145 mph to 155 mph, as well as better brakes, lowered suspension, and those 21" wheels, with whatever steering benefits they bring. Oh, and you get the aluminum pedals.

You can always replace the 21" tires and wheels to go smaller with a bigger sidewall. I expect you'll need a second set for winter, regardless.

Reactions: preilly44
Right, I know the Performance without the PUP still gets 3.5s 0-60. That's pretty much the only feature I want. I think what frank and me are saying is that it still cost $8k more regardless. Like I said, I'm glad they are giving the option to avoid all the extra's I don't want now, but it would obviously be nice if say I could get the Performance model with 0-60 of 3.5s for $6k more than the LR AWD, and then if people want to add all the extra bits, they pay an additional $2k.

The way it is now, I feel dumb for not getting all those extras because they are free, but in reality I don't even want them for the reasons I listed before. I also don't want bigger brakes (I wont track this car so I don't need big brakes, and big brakes just mean more cost to replace). I don't want lowered suspension (I want higher ground clearance in a cross over so I can actually drive it over mild off road trails for camping and what not). Literally all I want is the quick acceleration.

I would happily pay the money for the performance upgrade without PUP and the $2k for the 20" Induction Wheels. Alas that isn't an option. I've gone with the LR and Induction and hope someday for the performance bump. That will be an upgrade I'll easily pay for.
Why not get the PUP, sell the 21" wheels and buy 20" replacements? This way, you get all the other features, including increased top speed and the non-decorative spoiler.

Are the 20" wheels compatible with the larger brakes?

1. This is the biggest and most important for me (also the most costly in terms of parts). From the pictures I have seen and I believe backed up by the manual, the brakes on the Model Y are the same essentially on both Standard and PUP. Diameters are 14" up front and 13.2" in the rear, no difference in diameter.

Not sure if this has been confirmed or not, but the OP did mention that the PUP and standard brakes are the same size. If that is true, the 20" and even the 19" should fit.

Just judging by the picture on the order page, the 21's do appear to have loads of free space between the caliber and wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
Not sure if this has been confirmed or not, but the OP did mention that the PUP and standard brakes are the same size. If that is true, the 20" and even the 19" should fit.
Pg 192 of the manual:
96E905D1-EE7E-4471-A806-CC03AAD74FB3.jpeg

Just judging by the picture on the order page, the 21's do appear to have loads of free space between the caliber and wheel.
It has been confirmed. I saw a Elon’s comment on it as well

Why not get the PUP, sell the 21" wheels and buy 20" replacements? This way, you get all the other features, including increased top speed and the non-decorative spoiler.

Because, that means getting the Wife's permission. Having something done at the dealership ahead of time, easy. Having something done at home after the fact. Hard. To be fair she knows from past experience that I would probably buy the new wheels, install them, and leave the old ones sitting in the garage until she threatens me with throwing them out, then I'd get around to selling them.