Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Lackluster Performance Upgrade Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because, that means getting the Wife's permission. Having something done at the dealership ahead of time, easy. Having something done at home after the fact. Hard. To be fair she knows from past experience that I would probably buy the new wheels, install them, and leave the old ones sitting in the garage until she threatens me with throwing them out, then I'd get around to selling them.
I was planning on swapping out my PUP summer performance tires (and wheels) for winter tires and storing the set I'm not using at the tire place. They do that.

So you could maybe swap out immediately to all-weathers (since you don't get much snow in WA but do get plenty of rain) and have them store the summer performance tires for you until rainy season is over.

I'm in the same boat. I don't want the range loss (for road trips since I plan on doing a trip around the US with the Y), and I don't want the 21 inch wheels (they will crack in about 35 seconds with all the potholes we have around me). I do want that 3.5s 0-60 though. LR AWD with performance boost would be the ideal spec for me, but since that isn't an option right now, I'm probably going performance and I like that they give me that option without having to take all the other items.

I've bent/cracked 5 20" performance wheels on my M3P due to bad roads so I've switched to 18"s now. If you plan to do a lot of road-tripping, definitely get a smaller diameter wheel.

So you could maybe swap out immediately to all-weathers (since you don't get much snow in WA but do get plenty of rain) and have them store the summer performance tires for you until rainy season is over.

That's one thing I was thinking. I've actually priced a tire storage rack from Costco for the garage. And the wife gave me the OK to get the Performance version. But I think my LR is already sitting in Seattle just waiting for this thing to blow over so they can start deliveries here again. I told my OA that I'm happy to upgrade to Performance if it means getting my car sooner. Right now here in Washington, I don't think it makes a difference since I'm pretty sure we're shut down for deliveries anyway (although no one has official told me that).

That's one thing I was thinking. I've actually priced a tire storage rack from Costco for the garage. And the wife gave me the OK to get the Performance version. But I think my LR is already sitting in Seattle just waiting for this thing to blow over so they can start deliveries here again. I told my OA that I'm happy to upgrade to Performance if it means getting my car sooner. Right now here in Washington, I don't think it makes a difference since I'm pretty sure we're shut down for deliveries anyway (although no one has official told me that).
I'm not sure about that. I can tell you that I'm one of the people who got a phone call TODAY about scheduling a delivery.

If I were you, I'd be tempted to visit the Tesla garage in downtown just to see. But in these circumstances, maybe a phone call would be safer.

I'm not sure about that. I can tell you that I'm one of the people who got a phone call TODAY about scheduling a delivery.

If I were you, I'd be tempted to visit the Tesla garage in downtown just to see. But in these circumstances, maybe a phone call would be safer.

I'm tempted to (or even just to drive by as sometime you just need to get out of the house). And the delivery center I'm assigned to is Seattle-Lynnwood, so it's not exactly downtown. I got the deliver center assigned and then the process simply stopped. Haven't heard anything since. Complete radio silence.

>>what’s 18s did you find to go over the perf brakes?

M3_Titanwheels.jpg

T7's from Evasive Motorsports

m3_winterwheels.jpg
upload_2020-3-18_9-43-15.png

C4's from Tire Rack

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: IdaBish
PS, I just really like the look of the Inductions, and quite frankly I don't like the Überturbine wheels on the MSM pain.

As a new owner of a MSM PUP, I have to say the Uberturbines look awesome on the car, love how the colors match. That said black Inductions would look amazing too. I know I can't ride on the 21s forever but they are great. Eventually I'll get some 19s or 20s with all seasons.

Reactions: Electric Steve
Ya - I'm at a bit of a crossroads : ordered Midnight Silver DM LR FSD Induction Rims, a year ago.
Since then, price has increased more than 7K Canadian - blending of Autopilot- increase of FSD and recently, the adjustment of currency exchange ( CAN $ dropped ).
Tesla will honour those savings as long as I don't touch the configuration. So either I get a great car at great price or I blow it up ( for Performance And lose essentially free FSD ) at increased costs.

Ya - I'm at a bit of a crossroads : ordered Midnight Silver DM LR FSD Induction Rims, a year ago.
Since then, price has increased more than 7K Canadian - blending of Autopilot- increase of FSD and recently, the adjustment of currency exchange ( CAN $ dropped ).
Tesla will honour those savings as long as I don't touch the configuration. So either I get a great car at great price or I blow it up ( for Performance And lose essentially free FSD ) at increased costs.

Man that's a tough spot to be in! Based on that I would almost just say keep what you have, that's a big price difference. Unless you really like the ability to go FAST.. not that the LR model is slow at 4.8 seconds.. that's still faster then most cars, most people would still say that is a fast car.