Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Launch/CoronaVirus/Likely Recession

Are you Delaying or Cancelling Order?

• No Change in Plans

Votes: 159 74.3%
  • Will Delay Until Markets Look Better

Votes: 47 22.0%
  • Cancelling Order

Votes: 8 3.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not at all. You can tell Trump is getting held back, otherwise he'd just get the money back that the economy/stock market is losing by increasing the the tariffs on China which is the start of all this virus trouble anyway.
You do realise that those tariffs are paid by people and businesses in the USA? Leaving less money available to invest locally.

Like I said, 575,000 deaths from a pandemic in 2009/2010 and the market skyrocketed upwards. Over a billion people infected, and it seemed the worse the pandemic hit, the faster the market climbed.

What is different? It wasn't an election year, nobody was interested in shorting the market, the media wasn't coming unglued.

The spread pattern of H1N1 and mortality was established shortly after it left Mexico, and did not have all the unknowns that covid has. The preparedness was way higher with huge national warehouses of tamiflu ready to go and manufacturing cranked to 11.
I totally agree that the markets and economics are affected by election (just like they were in Mexico that year) but it’s not a “freak out for nothing” event either.

The spread pattern of H1N1 and mortality was established shortly after it left Mexico, and did not have all the unknowns that covid has. The preparedness was way higher with huge national warehouses of tamiflu ready to go and manufacturing cranked to 11.
I totally agree that the markets and economics are affected by election (just like they were in Mexico that year) but it’s not a “freak out for nothing” event either.

Swine flu had over one billion infected. That absolutely had an effect on available manhours in factories and offices, and massive insurance costs. But it had no negative financial effect regardless. It's simply numbers. There was not enough damage to labor to stop growth.

But note that catastrophes don't always harm economies. Fear always harms economies, as does blinding greed. Human emotions can do what mathematics cannot.

Reactions: EchoDelta
It'll be fine they said. Sure he bankrupted 19 companies but the US is robust and this will really 'shakeup' the system they said....

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 12.28.42 AM.png

Had to pickup a prescription at Costco, we went at 8pm last night... figured it wouldn't be crowded at that hour because it never is- WRONG!
The parking lot looked it was the last weekend before Christmas, we had to park way out in the back.

After getting my prescription, I figured we'd pickup a case of Gatorade (which I drink year round) and some blueberries- WRONG!
No Gatorade
No Blueberries, no Bananas, no Strawberries
No bottled water
No paper towels, no ass-wipe
No bread
No Pasta
No sanitizing wipes or and sanitizer
Sold out of certain varieties of breakfast cereal
No chicken (drumsticks, thighs, breast, quarters or whole)

On the bright side...
Plenty of Ice cream
Patio furniture and solar lights are now in stock!

I can only imagine what that place will be like this weekend, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually max-out the three gigantic parking lots.

I joked to my wife "good time to go on a diet I guess" because we have a wedding coming up in mid April and we all need to fit in our good cloths. Then she reminded me.. the wedding may be postponed too smart guy!

Can anyone tell me why bottled water is sold out? Is the municipal water supply in jeopardy?

Last edited:
Reactions: Livex and pt19713
Ditto. Went yesterday just to pick up normal things to restock.
The local Costco was out of the things listed above plus yogurt, vegetable oil, and other odds and ends.

I saw other people walking out with cases of just alcohol, too. Lol

Ditto. Went yesterday just to pick up normal things to restock.
The local Costco was out of the things listed above plus yogurt, vegetable oil, and other odds and ends.

I saw other people walking out with cases of just alcohol, too. Lol
They are the smart ones! When the media induced apocalypse is over the only currency will be booze, cigarettes and ammunition. A box of .223 ammo will be worth its weight in gold!

• Funny
Reactions: MXLRplus
They are the smart ones! When the media induced apocalypse is over the only currency will be booze, cigarettes and ammunition. A box of .223 ammo will be worth its weight in gold!

My liquor cabinet, pantry, and armory are ready for the Zombie Apocalypse when these COVID-19 victims rise from the dead.
I quit smoking though since that was a more serious health threat than COVID-19 is...

I canceled my order. Huge disappointment, bu far too much uncertainty in the stock market and employment situation due to this pandemic. I planned to fund my purchase with some stock sell off, which obviously now isn't going to happen. Both my wife and I are now working virtually with the stability of our employers uncertain. Kids are out of school, etc, etc.. Far too much uncertainty to get into a big purchase at this time. The good news, it only took 3mo of waiting from my order submit to prepare for delivery email, so when things settle down and the economy recovers, it shouldn't be a long wait to get back onboard. Good luck to you all with your new MY purchases! I'll still be watching and drooling.

Yep, and in related news, the inventory stock of M3s has increased from 0 to 35 in less than three weeks. I'm inferring lots of cancellations is at least partly at fault.

In the last month, I've gone from:
Ordering MY LR AWD 19" on 2/3, to ordering a MS LR+ w FSD, to canceling the MS order, to changing my MY order to add FSD, to changing to performance with FSD, to finally facing reality and going back to LR AWD 19" with no FSD.

And even with that config, will still need to convince my better half that it's still a viable idea to buy a car at this time. (The good news: by cutting my config, I'm not expecting delivery for at least 6 months, which is fine.)

I canceled my order. Huge disappointment, bu far too much uncertainty in the stock market and employment situation due to this pandemic. I planned to fund my purchase with some stock sell off, which obviously now isn't going to happen. Both my wife and I are now working virtually with the stability of our employers uncertain. Kids are out of school, etc, etc.. Far too much uncertainty to get into a big purchase at this time. The good news, it only took 3mo of waiting from my order submit to prepare for delivery email, so when things settle down and the economy recovers, it shouldn't be a long wait to get back onboard. Good luck to you all with your new MY purchases! I'll still be watching and drooling.
Very sorry. I know that you are not alone in this situation. Really hope everything works out and you will soon be driving your MY.

Reactions: OilBrnr
I ordered the long range RWD. Who knows how long Tesla is going to drag out the decision on the model... Keeping my order as is and not in a hurry to get the car. It going to take awhile for the after market accessories to workout the kinks. Plus, there is going to be more clarity regarding the coronavirus and economic situation in a few month.