Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Lease Takeover Pros and Con?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to ask the community what the pros and cons would be of taking over someone's lease on a 2021 MYP for about 2 more years.

Besides any damage that exists that would need to be repaired prior to me taking over, is there anything I should know?

Would I be able to transfer my lease to someone else if my MY reservation comes up next few months? I am being told it will be July but things can change with Giga Texas ramping up.

Are there are any other fees to know or gotcha's? The previous owner is being told they can walk away from their lease without an penalty and offering it to me to help out.

I am at a spot where I need a second car very soon and do not want to buy another due to pending reservation.

Appreciate the feedbacks.

This is what tesla requires on a lease when it comes to insurance

There are minimum coverage requirements unless you’re subject to state-specific terms. These requirements include:
  • $50,000 for property damage
  • $100,000 for bodily injuries to any one person
  • $300,000 for any one accident
  • Physical damage insurance for full value of vehicle
  • Maximum deductible: $2,500

Also the Lease will have Gap insurance already so keep that in mind

Also check with a quote with esurance it's the chepeast one that covers all that when i shopped around

654$ for 6 months i Live in El paso Texas but almost every other company(allstate,progressive etc.) else ranged from 800$-1500$(for 6 months) for my zip/state

so obviously it can be very different for where u live

I am reading the lease papers and I do not see any gap insurance on the contract.
I don't have mines handy to show but yes all tesla lease come with gap insurance it's on their leasing support page

Usually loans u have to get gap extra, but leases tend to have that included

Screenshot_1.png