Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - let the Photoshopping begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone point me to where we are getting the idea that the Model Y will be a small SUV. Elon just recently said at the Future of Transportation conference in Norway that the car will smaller and less expensive. I would think then that it would rather be a two seater instead of four. Maybe similar to a Honda CR-Z? (Picture attached)

Attachments

• CR-Z.jpg
    CR-Z.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 235
Can someone point me to where we are getting the idea that the Model Y will be a small SUV. Elon just recently said at the Future of Transportation conference in Norway that the car will smaller and less expensive. I would think then that it would rather be a two seater instead of four. Maybe similar to a Honda CR-Z? (Picture attached)
When he mentioned the Model Y (the only time its been mentioned), it was in a tweet saying that either the Model 3 or Model Y would have falcon wing doors. The assumption was that the Model Y would be based on the Model 3 like the X is based on the S.

The car you are referring to was what he said would be fourth generation. We can only assume that will be 2020 or probably even later since Model 3 production probably won't catch up until around then, especially if the second reveal is revealing the Model Y coming at the same time as the 3.

I'd love an even smaller Tesla, but I'd prefer it still be a four seater hatch. I like the size of my Fit. Even the 3 will be an adjustment for me.

The 2 door looks much better than the barn door thing in post #10, however 2 seaters do not sell very well in USA. For a car to sell here it needs to seat 4 or 5 people. The back seat can be smallish but it must have a back seat.

For side collision safety we need a pillar in the middle since reinforcing FWd would make it too heavy.
Yes, as much as I would like to see a Model Y with that FW door design (one door per side) it seems like providing NHTSA 5 star protection in side impact collisions would be difficult to achieve. But I'm not an automotive chassis engineer, so I'm just speculating.

This one is the exact dimensions of a Honda CR-V
YGTCtnJ.jpg

The CR-V is way too small. The Y will be built on the Model 3 chassis.

Model 3:
Wheelbase = 113 in
Length = 184 in
Width = 74.2 in

CR-V
Wheelbase = 103.1 in
Length = 179.4 in
Width = 71.6 in

The length may change a bit, but the wheelbase and width are going to be pretty close to the Model 3. The wheel track will be the same in any case.

Elon did tweet the Model Y would have falcon wing doors, but that was before he said making the Model X was hubris. The falcon wing doors are one of the most hubris thing about the Model X. They are fantastically complex and difficult to build.

I think the SUV version of the Model 3 will have regular doors.

Reactions: CSFTN and Luke42

Tesla is going to build at least two, possibly three cars on the Model 3 platform before coming out with the 4th generation. The 4th generation will probably be a compact sedan/SUV which is the next size segment down from the midsized Model 3.

The best selling cars are sedans and SUVs for families. Smaller vehicles are specialty cars that fill niches. Mercedes thought there was a market for ultra small, ultra efficient cars and started Smart car. They are losing their shirts on those cars.

Tesla is going to build at least two, possibly three cars on the Model 3 platform before coming out with the 4th generation. The 4th generation will probably be a compact sedan/SUV which is the next size segment down from the midsized Model 3.

The best selling cars are sedans and SUVs for families. Smaller vehicles are specialty cars that fill niches. Mercedes thought there was a market for ultra small, ultra efficient cars and started Smart car. They are losing their shirts on those cars.

A further issue is that by the time that might happen, in the 2020's, the autonomous/networked/mobility app revolution will be in full stride. I think compact economy cars will be a shrinking market segment in that context. Much of the savings and efficiency of compacts matters less. They are easier to park, but Mobility app cars don't park at all. They have better fuel economy but Mobility app cars don't use fuel (I think they'll be dominated by BEVs because the efficiency matters with high use rates). They're cheaper to buy, but with Mobility apps you don't need to buy at all.

Elon did tweet the Model Y would have falcon wing doors, but that was before he said making the Model X was hubris. The falcon wing doors are one of the most hubris thing about the Model X. They are fantastically complex and difficult to build.
He tweeted that on October 15, two full weeks after the reveal, after those few initial deliveries to the special founders, after the delays were in full force, after the problems with production from the German company. I still think they'll not do the Falcon Wings, just due to cost and complexity, but they already knew all that before he posted that tweet.

Cost and complexity?
Shmost and BS.

Things are hard when done the first time. When Y enters the stage, FWD will already be built more than 100.000 times, totaling in some 10 milions of open/close cycles. Tesla will have the knowledge how to do it right.

Stop being scared. What humans cannot do reliably, robots will.

Cost and complexity?
Shmost and BS.
Ok, how about pointless, unnecessary gimmick then? Aside from the gee-whiz factor of FWD's, the only legitimate reason to put them on the X was to get better third row access from the second door.

Eliminate the third row in the Y, and FWD's are reduced to a pointless gimmick on the Y.

Ok, how about pointless, unnecessary gimmick then? Aside from the gee-whiz factor of FWD's, the only legitimate reason to put them on the X was to get better third row access from the second door.

I think there is a use case for FWd doors. Many of the current issues could be resolved I'm sure, however the doors will never be as cheap to produce or use as regular doors therefore may not really belong on model Y.

Eliminate the third row in the Y, and FWD's are reduced to a pointless gimmick on the Y.

Completely agree.
With the stated goal of the Model Y to be a price leader, simple to manufacture (KISS) and no (front facing) third row seats to access there is no need to integrate the FWd to the Model Y.

Reactions: Laban
Completely agree.
With the stated goal of the Model Y to be a price leader, simple to manufacture (KISS) and no (front facing) third row seats to access there is no need to integrate the FWd to the Model Y.

I agree, assuming that there will be no third row in the Y. I wouldn't rule that out though, at least not from a size point of view. The Toyota Verso is a 4.4m/175 inches long car and it has a third row. Small and cramped third row, yes, but it works for children. The Y should be 10 inches longer then the Verso, and they have moved the front row forward in the 3 to get more space in the back (no firewall in an electric car). So i don't think that the space/length of the car is the problem.

That would perhaps not work with the renderings above though, i think they need to do a flat roof, regular SUV type of hatchback.