TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model Y - let the Photoshopping begin

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by McHoffa, May 27, 2016.

1. ElectricLee

ElectricLee Member

I like.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  2. bxr140

bxr140 Active Member

And their satellites...

Leaking on product evolutions builds excitement and is generally good for business. Leaking brandy new stuff doesn’t do much but let potential competitors know what you’re up to.

3. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

Think the Model Y isn’t scaled correctly in this photo. I highly doubt it will have a narrower cabin as indicated in the pic

4. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Narrower cabin than what? I don’t think those two pics should be considered to the same scale. I think the proportions of the Y itself are likely accurate in its own photo. I would guess the 3 and Y will be super close in width.

5. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

In the included side by side pic above, the cabin in the Y looks narrower than the 3. In reality, it will be he same or (hopefully) wider.

6. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

From a redditor....

0291A1C7-D7FB-4CAD-A42A-9477ABEA43B1.png

• Like x 3
  7. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Looks great. I do wonder if the front end is going to be flatter than that though.

8. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Yeah. The pics just aren’t to the same scale.

9. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

It’s going to be kind of weird if it looks A LOT like the model 3 just because Tesla has been so innovative in their design vehicle after vehicle but I think it’s a decent and safe mood. It should sell millions.

10. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

I just hope they get the rear right, ideally more like the Autocar rendering than a Model X....

I want a small, sporty looking SUV...

I’d be happy with any of the following...

4BAA76BE-43CD-4A62-9474-817A81DA5842.jpeg 3FF7C78B-1EE1-4AB1-B549-242EE8E85BFB.jpeg A12988D4-528C-4B40-90A9-EFAD98DF861B.jpeg AA50E806-3DB2-44AE-A611-D67254D6D87F.jpeg E4F95673-4EB8-440A-9979-DE76626E655B.jpeg

• Love x 1
  11. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

12. garrett5688

garrett5688 Member

Will it be the first Tesla with a rear windshield wiper?

Will it have amber turn signals??

• Love x 1
  13. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Member

#133 Watts_Up, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    I which that there will be a shooting break (or hatchback) version of the Model 3.

ry2.jpg

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Lol all the questions!!! If the X doesn’t have a rear wiper I don’t think the Y will

15. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

But the 3 has cup holders and clothes hangars which the S doesn’t...

• Like x 2
  16. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

If the back window is sloped enough, there is no need for a rear wiper. The X doesn't have one because of a combination of the slope and wipers create drag. I suspect the Y will not have a wiper and will have a fairly steeply sloped rear window.

17. tga

tga Supporting Member

Are you saying a steep window does, or does not, need a wiper? IMHO, the lack of a rear wiper on the S is one of its few flaws. Well, either the lack of a rear wiper or the rear hatch's insane magnetic attraction to snow (which I always blamed on the car's aerodynamics).

18. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

A rear wiper would help, but it isn't necessary. I believe there are requirements for a rear wiper in some jurisdictions if the roof and back window have a certain geometry (common to many hatchbacks), so manufacturers put them there. The aerodynamics of the shape causes gunk to collect in bad weather on the back window. But they are not required if the aerodynamics of the vehicle are different. With a sharp slope, gunk doesn't tend to accumulate on the back window, so manufacturers don't need to put a wiper there.

I've driven my S in the snow (great handling in snow compared to other cars I've driven), but not in much falling snow. I don't know how snow accumulates on the back, but I'll take your word for it. I don't use the center mirror much because the visibility out the back is so poor in general. I got used to poor rear visibility from my Buick which had giant c pillars and tiny outside mirrors compared to modern cars (it was a 1992).

19. tga

tga Supporting Member

Suddenly, I am reminded of the "First rule of Italian driving:"

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  20. Sunshine State

Sunshine State Automotive Enthusiast

Our S has 4 cup holders in the front, not sure about the back I don’t ride back there.