Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - let the Photoshopping begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Certainly it'll be a Tesla -- one huge screen complete with fart noises -- but it won't come stock with 35'' off-road tires or air rockets. Crazy is for the Roadster and, from the sound of Elon's tweets, the truck. (Which may or may not be a good idea, but that's for another thread.)

Lol yeah. I guess the X is different enough from the S that it’s a good thing but I understand wanting to simplify production.

Tesla is aiming for a car that is as cheap as possible to get into production and cheap to produce. It's going to be much more like the Model 3 than the X was to the S. It is basically a 3 with a hatch and a bit more room in the back. They may change some minor trim items to distinguish it from the other cars, but it's not going to be any major departure from the 3.

It's alive... no more photoshop :cool:

upload_2019-3-14_20-52-1.png

Last edited:
I was hoping it would have a longer roof line before sloping. Like the CR-V, Rav 4, or CX-5. I'm still waiting to see the real deal but I don't think I'll get 3rd row. Still others will jump on this allowing for a larger used X market.
That roofline is what gives the car it's fuel saving aerodynamic. That potato wedge shape. At this moment Tesla needs to milk any and all efficiency from their cars.

The Y is going to be a hit despite all the negativity on TMC. Here's my take.

1) A car's success is not all about it's LOOKS! Being a beauty queen does not make a car. Plain Clean Simplicity is better sometimes.
2) Once on the road, people will get to see what it really has to offer.
3) Ample room, versatility, and improved dependability which naturally comes from platform sharing.
4) Like a Hot-Hatch of yesteryear, the Y will be a stealthy speed demon in P form ready to blow away the competition for under $60K.
5) It WILL be among the best, if not the very best handling Crossover on the market (which will improve its safety maneuvering rating).
6) If Crash-Tests prove to be on par with other Tesla's or better, couples with young children will flock to the stores or the net to buy one.
7) Ingress and Egress, (especially for older adults and seniors) is said to be better than the 3.
8) The 300 mile range is by far unbeatable for any EV Crossover in this price bracket.
9) The Y is destined to be a HUGE hit in Europe where the Y is custom tailored to their market.
10) Aftermarket vendors are already drooling over it.

Here’s the way I intend to set mine up in this PS’d image... Performance, black, white interior, tints, lowered, 21”-22” wheels etc
(Click onto the image to enlarge)

91B3B602-2FB3-4BED-9D4F-F7C22DCF0037.jpeg

A sleek, fast, great handling American made aero Crossover hatch, w/0-60 of 3.5 sec, seats 7, and a 300 mile range!!!... that’s amazing man!

The Model 3 rear view via mirror is already quite limited by the height of the rear trunk lid. It's just going to get worse for the Model Y. There is some logic in the widespread practice of putting a window panel below the lip of the spoiler edge (Prius started it, continued by Insight, Volt, and others). We can't have it both ways: aerodynamics and visibility without appearance compromises.

My personal enthusiasm is for a convertible or at least a targa top, which Tesla seems to favor to judge by their Roadster 1, 2, and 3. But that is a big compromise over the complete folding down of the roof for a true convertible. Check out the two versions of the Mazda Miata, one with soft top that fold down in 3 seconds without motor assist, and other a "retracting fastback", that really is a retracting targa top.

I either need Tesla to do a proper roadster soft top or I need an electric conversion kit for my Miata. ;-)