Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - let the Photoshopping begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure where this notion comes from...I LOVE the falcon wing doors on my Model X! And these were a big reason why I chose the X over competing SUVs. I think the FWDs are an essential element of the uniqueness of the X. I haven't had any problems at all with them. In fact, quite the opposite...I marvel at the engineering behind them every time I see them operate...perfectly. To each his/her own I guess but I for one love my FWDs!
I will go far as to say that I like the falcon doors because of their utility getting kids in and out of car seats. It's pretty much a killer feature for that reason. It helps with a) not hitting their head on the roof, b) being able to stand over them to buckle them in rather than an awkward reach-over, c) when street parking, having the door out of the way of traffic (e.g. bicyclists), d) when garage parking, sometimes being able to open the door at all. Using summon is sort of a last resort, because you want to minimize the number of actions needed once your kids are out of the safety of their car seats. Particularly actions that involve a moving vehicle.

I'm guessing this will be close...

red-tesla-model-y-rendering-auto-express-e1502436953359.jpg

Let's hope this is just a bad photoshop ... Is This The Real Deal Tesla Model Y? Probably Not

According to Tesla, the Model Y will be largely based upon the Model 3. This means its cost to develop should be on the lower side, though that doesn’t imply a low price tag necessarily. The newest rumors, combined with info from Musk, indicate a base price $40,000, provided it’s offered with the smallest Model 3 battery pack. However, we don’t think that will be available on the Y and for certain, not anytime soon.

Previous rumors indicated Model Y would be a 3-row crossover, though that seems a bit questionable too.
The Model Y will be officially unveiled on March 14, which is just a week away.

Let's hope this is just a bad photoshop ... Is This The Real Deal Tesla Model Y? Probably Not

According to Tesla, the Model Y will be largely based upon the Model 3. This means its cost to develop should be on the lower side, though that doesn’t imply a low price tag necessarily. The newest rumors, combined with info from Musk, indicate a base price $40,000, provided it’s offered with the smallest Model 3 battery pack. However, we don’t think that will be available on the Y and for certain, not anytime soon.

Previous rumors indicated Model Y would be a 3-row crossover, though that seems a bit questionable too.

Oh please God,NO!

I strongly dowbt that's the Model Y prototype. For one thing it's right hand drive and all Tesla prototypes are aiming for the American market first (left hand drive).

I strongly doubt the Model Y will be 3 rows. That would be a very tight fit and the market for three row CUV/SUVs is relatively limited. I expect it to just be a standard, 2 row CUV/SUV layout. Tesla is aiming to produce something that's going to hit the middle of the market demand with something that can be brought into production quickly and with less drama than any previous production ramp. That will require it to be as similar to the Model 3 as possible. There may be some trim differences, but I expect the front half to be very similar with a boxier back end.

Now that we know there won't be FWDs on the Model Y, the specifics of the rear end are probably the biggest question. All existing Tesla design points to something similar Model X's steeply raked hatch. I like the Autocar image as well (my dog would definitely prefer it), but I don't know that Tesla has it in them to make something that squared off.

Reactions: McHoffa
I don't know why we should expect the Model Y to look good. They really buggered it with the Model X ("polarizing", even without the Falconwing Doors), IMO.

In the hottest segment in automotive and this is what Franz delivered:

h5gHFOX.png

There are very few angles the Model X looks sporty. I think Franz only has a good handle on sedans. My hopes aren't up for the Y.

Anyone that can design something as beautiful as the 2020 roadster is pretty good in my book.

Being a designer of sorts myself, I am better placed to comment on how many jobs end up being client designed or designed by committee.

The X probably started out as a Franz horse and ended up being a committee camel.