Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - let the Photoshopping begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All we know at this point is that the Y will be based on the 3 and have falcon wing doors, correct? That could mean small SUV (RAV4/CR-V) or a hatchback.

pSL8X6l.jpg

A car like that would seem to reflect a serious case of oxymoronic thinking. "Let's make it small so its less expensive. Ok, but let's load it up with complex gizmos so it will be expensive." Well, I suppose there is a midrange market there somewhere...

The falcon wing doors do not seem to be favorably reviewed by anyone I've read so far. In fact it's been suggested that a Model X be offered with normal doors instead, making the falcon wing doors an option. How many would pay for that option? True differential cost seems like it would be at least $10,000, maybe more.

While Elon has previously said the Model Y will have falcon wing doors, I could really see him changing his mind due to all the trouble with the Model X falcon wing doors. Is it worth it, especially for a cheaper car? I doubt it.

And if it really does have falcon wing doors, I agree with J1mbo: the Model Y might have just two doors and a hatch.

Reactions: M0DEL³ and Luke42
While Elon has previously said the Model Y will have falcon wing doors, I could really see him changing his mind due to all the trouble with the Model X falcon wing doors. Is it worth it, especially for a cheaper car? I doubt it.

And if it really does have falcon wing doors, I agree with J1mbo: the Model Y might have just two doors and a hatch.
The thing is that all the problems with producing the Model X doors have been resolved. This means that if they use the same technology on the Model Y there should be little to no problems.

Reactions: linkster
Great work! Just get rid of the steering wheel and you have Model Y L5. Seems pretty cool for an autonomous Mobility App design. It pulls up then completely opens up when you approach letting you easily access the whole interior. Without a driver console, steering wheel or pedals all seats are equivalent.
image.png

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: remlemasi and cizUK
Great work! Just get rid of the steering wheel and you have Model Y L5. Seems pretty cool for an autonomous Mobility App design. It pulls up then completely opens up when you approach letting you easily access the whole interior. Without a driver console, steering wheel or pedals all seats are equivalent.
Fully autonomous would also mean front seats could swivel around to talk to rear passengers.

Fully autonomous would also mean front seats could swivel around to talk to rear passengers.
Hmmmm. In the pic it looks like the rear seats are enough higher that the clearance under them would let the front seats pivot around one at a time to the outside to face backwards if the doors were like that and there was no pilar as depicted.
That feature of having clear space under the rear seats may help make this possible.
When you see it with that single falcon door and no steering wheel it looks like it has the room.

If seats were power pivot, it could pre-configure as soon as it opened the big doors to the passenger preference. Everybody with the Mobility app would be able to choose a bunch of configuration options of course. Seat positions, temperature setting, Bluetooth/wifi config, playlists, etc.