Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LG lots of quality issues. Anyway to exchange it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello there,

I bought Model Y and took delivery on Dec 30th at the delivery center and it had bunch of issues. The delivery person that helped with delivery initially said she will have a tech come out and look at my concerns but they later on she was like I you are good to go so I said what about all the issues and she was like the techs are busy right now so you need to log a service ticket. While seating in the parking lot, I logged ticket with 12 different issues and was given service appointment of Jan 3rd. They went ahead and changed it to Jan 9th and when I questioned about why, they claimed parts are ordered. Now the car is in service and also had paint chip that needs to be fixed. I am not happy about all the issues the car has and it has less then 50 miles on it. Overall love the car minus quality issues and was wondering what are my options of getting tesla to give me a new one? It was paid cash so no financing involved and currently it has temporary plates in TX. It was built in Austin.

Tesla isn’t going to exchange it. Give the service center a chance to fix them all. It’s why you have a warranty. I had my 2022MYLR in to fix initial issues several times. Once they had them all resolved, it’s been perfect since.
If your car ends up having persistent issues, then invoke your state’s lemon law.

Last edited:
Hello there,

I bought Model Y and took delivery on Dec 30th at the delivery center and it had bunch of issues. The delivery person that helped with delivery initially said she will have a tech come out and look at my concerns but they later on she was like I you are good to go so I said what about all the issues and she was like the techs are busy right now so you need to log a service ticket. While seating in the parking lot, I logged ticket with 12 different issues and was given service appointment of Jan 3rd. They went ahead and changed it to Jan 9th and when I questioned about why, they claimed parts are ordered. Now the car is in service and also had paint chip that needs to be fixed. I am not happy about all the issues the car has and it has less then 50 miles on it. Overall love the car minus quality issues and was wondering what are my options of getting tesla to give me a new one? It was paid cash so no financing involved and currently it has temporary plates in TX. It was built in Austin.
May be able to help more if you tell us what, exactly, the issues are.

Reactions: cwerdna and PewPew
I am sorry your in this situation. This sucks but unfortunately since you accepted delivery of the car it cannot be exchanged. On delivery day you get to inspect the car and can refuse to accept it if there are too many issues. I had a few issues with mine, but chose to accept delivery and was able to get those issues corrected by mobile service later on.

Hello there,

No chance you will get a new car (exchange).

Hello there,

Different states Have laws for lemons, check with your state statutes first and then make the service appointment for all the faults your funds after accepting the vehicle. You cannot return the vehicle after accepting and only they will take it back if they cannot resolve the issue.

May be able to help more if you tell us what, exactly, the issues are.
1. Fabric sticking out on driver side windshield post
2. Fabric is cut under passenger side visor
3. Steering will is making noise when making adjustments
4. Backseat behind driver side has back cover that is loose
5. Under passenger side seat, fabric is sticking out
6. Paint chip on top of driver side rail
7. Passenger side's backdoor window rail is sticking out
8. Frunk (front trunk) unlock latch making very loud noise
9. Screen displaying "Unable to charge. Service required"... I gave them screenshot and forced them to look into it and they gave me following explanation "Thank you for that timestamp. I just looked into some data remotely and found that this is result of a bug in the firmware. A fix could be coming for it in the future. Please continue to update your firmware as it is rolled out to your vehicle. The vehicle is supercharging and wall charging as intended at this time. - <<removed tech name>>"

1. Fabric sticking out on driver side windshield post
2. Fabric is cut under passenger side visor
3. Steering will is making noise when making adjustments
4. Backseat behind driver side has back cover that is loose
5. Under passenger side seat, fabric is sticking out
6. Paint chip on top of driver side rail
7. Passenger side's backdoor window rail is sticking out
8. Frunk (front trunk) unlock latch making very loud noise
9. Screen displaying "Unable to charge. Service required"... I gave them screenshot and forced them to look into it and they gave me following explanation "Thank you for that timestamp. I just looked into some data remotely and found that this is result of a bug in the firmware. A fix could be coming for it in the future. Please continue to update your firmware as it is rolled out to your vehicle. The vehicle is supercharging and wall charging as intended at this time. - <<removed tech name>>"
10. Steering wheel makes loud noise when making adjustments. Tesla says that's normal.

Also pics?

i help two buddies check out their Y during Xmas and it was perfect. Better than my 2022 MYP and I thought it was near perfect.
1000017797.jpg
1000017409.jpg
1000017294.jpg
1000017297.jpg
1000017296.jpg
1000017295.jpg

tesla to give me a new one?
You already paid. Like there's no way they want to buy it back. Split your list into "I can live with this" and "this must be fixed". Be mindful that everything that is touched there is a risk of more damage. For example, that little scuff on the headliner is not noticeable, maybe you can smooth it out and live with it. Same with the employees hair (just kidding) sticking out. Maybe you can trim it and push the rest back in. You may say, but I paid so much for this car. Maybe so, but I'm just saying like weigh the risks and do what you can yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: ord3r