TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model Y likely in 2020, based on Musk interview w’ Bloomberg

Discussion in 'Future Vehicles' started by anticitizen13.7, Jul 14, 2018.

1. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018

‘The Last Bet-the-Company Situation’: Q&A With Elon Musk

If Tesla demonstrates a prototype of Model Y in March 2019, I believe that the earliest we are likely to see First Production cars is Summer of 2020. Depending on pace of production ramp, I wouldn’t expect large build volumes until late 2020 or 1H of 2021.

• Like x 1
  2. R.S

R.S Active Member

Depends on a lot of factors, like carryover from the 3 and where it will be built. If it's tightly based on the 3 and they don't come up with some new weird design thing that's super complicated to do, I could see them going into production soon after they show the prototype.
    Also depends on how finished that prototype is, or it it's just a concept that will look like the future Y, but is not fully developed, yet.

Interesting article by the way. Alien dreadnought is now basically just another car factory. At least it sounds cool...

• Disagree x 1
  3. ProtonSF

ProtonSF Member

Summer 2020 seems doable, even with Elon time.

I'm really curious to know what type of vehicle the Y is going to be; it seems like Tesla has most market segments already filled... the luxury sedan, the mid-price sedan, the SUV, the consumer truck, and the semi truck. I can only speculate, as others have, that the Y will be some sort of crossover between a sedan and the SUV... although this doesn't make much sense since the Model X is seen by many as being a crossover.

I can see the Y being something like the Subaru Ascent or Honda CRV -- more for sporty people who need extra space without needing a full SUV.

On the other hand, I can also see Model Y being the most futuristic car yet -- since Elon expects full self-driving around the same time the Y will be in production, the entire interior design can be completely revolutionary.... e.g. a home-like interior with lounge chairs and a beefy entertainment system.

4. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

hopefully they resolve any and all falcon wing door issues beforehand

5. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Model X was introduced as an CUV, not a SUV. And just like Model 3 is a smaller lower cost sedan then the Model S, it is assumed that the Model Y will be a smaller lower cost CUV then the Model X.

• Like x 1
  6. electracity

electracity Active Member

I heard the minisub had a problematic falcon wing door.

7. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

My understanding is one of the core issues was the original design used hydraulics for the door movement instead of electric actuators. They won't make that mistake again...

8. electracity

If they build it in Sparks they would need a paint shop and two general assembly lines. They possibly have the capacity to do the stamping in Fremont. They may have enough backhaul capacity to do the seats in Fremont too.

The distribution capabilities and staff hiring in Sparks are questions.

Tesla isn't going to want to discuss building the Y in Fremont or Sparks until they have a better idea of the depth of model 3 demand. If model 3 demand is a solid 500K/year they can start the model Y at $45K-50K.

• Like x 1
  9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

It's a growing region. As long as housing development continues, I think people would move for the jobs:
    More bars, more houses, and other Reno trends to watch for in 2018

• Informative x 1
  10. sidmini

sidmini Banned

so do we think the Y will have falcon wing doors on conventional? will it have pano windscreen? 7 seats?

11. electracity

Definitely a two row SUV/CUV. Personally I don't like FWD, but if the starting price point is well above the model 3 those doors are probably a smart move. Tesla needs to remain well differentiated from the coming competition.

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Conventional. Falcon wing door issues haven't been resolved enough to risk it on another vehicle.
    Pano available.
    7 seats, hmm, maybe. As a global vehicle it would make sense to have a 6 or 7-seater version. Might not be sold in the USA even if they make it. Efficiency requirements might constrain shape and limit to 4 + 2.

13. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

elon musk said that either the model Y or 3 will have FWD. Well the 3 doesn't have it so...

14. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Yes, but that is a long time ago, and he have changed his mind about a lot of other thing about both the 3 and the Y since then. So he may just as well have changed his mind about that also...

15. david_42

david_42 Member

Several articles have the Model Y being built in the upcoming China factory. If it is a compact SUV, that would make a great deal of sense.

16. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

The exact location hasn’t been announced yet but the Model Y will almost certainly be built in the US first and then in the GFs in China and probably Europe.