Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model y long rang verses performance model y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased 295/35/21’s for the rears and put the 275’s on the fronts. Provides extra sidewall protection given the stock oem 255/275 setup is way too stretched as it is. Ours came last month with Michelin AS anyway so bought the exact same tire in 295.

Added advantage is .5” of extra rubber front and back plus I run them at 39psi. Voila. Rides even better than stock 19” even :)
Did you notice any meaningful range decrease with the wider tires?

Did you notice any meaningful range decrease with the wider tires?
I’d have to say minor. Maybe 2-3% tbhonest.
Truly hard to tell as it’s subjective based on driving habit, ext temp, road conditions etc
I havnt had much data to go on prior to the new tire config.

But the kw/hr didnt change that much at all.

The comfort of the new setup is worth every bit plus the safety of tirewalls providing some level of protection.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2 and Msicario
I’d have to say minor. Maybe 2-3% tbhonest.
Truly hard to tell as it’s subjective based on driving habit, ext temp, road conditions etc
I havnt had much data to go on prior to the new tire config.

But the kw/hr didnt change that much at all.

The comfort of the new setup is worth every bit plus the safety of tirewalls providing some level of protection.
How’s the ride quality and road noise?

So basically the only reason you did it is to protect yourself against your wheels getting scratched?
That and some extra ride comfort yes.
And I find the extra rear width a better aggressive stance for the P version. The oem tires are simply too stretched on these rims. They look a bit odd to me. Tbh a 265/285 would be the perfect set up but the tires don’t come in this config.

I also now have some spare front 255’s incase of any tire damage or repairs needed.

That and some extra ride comfort yes.
And I find the extra rear width a better aggressive stance for the P version. The oem tires are simply too stretched on these rims. They look a bit odd to me. Tbh a 265/285 would be the perfect set up but the tires don’t come in this config.

I also now have some spare front 255’s incase of any tire damage or repairs needed.
So can I put the same tire size on all four tires on the 21 inch Uber turbines or do they have to be staggered

So can I put the same tire size on all four tires on the 21 inch Uber turbines or do they have to be staggered
You can in theory. But the rears are 10.5” width and the fronts are 9.5” rim width. If you decide to go 275 all around for instance, you can never rotate front to back rims. Only the tires.
Could get expensive to keep shifting the tires off one rim to another.

It’s a stagger’d set so not meant for square setup.

You can in theory. But the rears are 10.5” width and the fronts are 9.5” rim width. If you decide to go 275 all around for instance, you can never rotate front to back rims.
Source? I believe that you can square up the 21" Uberturbine wheels using the 10.5" width rear wheels with no fitment issue at the front. In fact it is the front wheels that do not have the proper weight rating to be used safely at the rear.

OE 19" Gemini wheel offset: +45
OE 20" Induction wheel offset: +45
OE 21" Uberturbine wheel (front) offset: +40; OE 21" Uberturbine wheel (rear) offset:
OE 19" Gemini wheel offset: +45
OE 20" Induction wheel offset: +45
OE 21" Uberturbine wheel (front) offset: +40; OE 21" Uberturbine wheel (rear) offset: +48
So rear 10.5 may not fit at front. Someone would have to try it.

As many have confirmed the rear 10.5" will fit the front.
Source? Would be great if they do.

Some threads seem to suggest a square with 20” at the most a 38 offset on a 10” rim much less 10.5.

🤷🏽‍♂️ I’d love to know if front can accommodate 10.5 oem 45 offset. Any tire wider than 275 at 21” will rub though. Squaring up 10.5 and putting 275/35/21 on a 10.5 will again result in the stretched look front while normal look at rear. Just sayin…

Source? Would be great if they do.

Some threads seem to suggest a square with 20” at the most a 38 offset on a 10” rim much less 10.5.

🤷🏽‍♂️ I’d love to know if front can accommodate 10.5 oem 45 offset. Any tire wider than 275 at 21” will rub though. Squaring up 10.5 and putting 275/35/21 on a 10.5 will again result in the stretched look front while normal look at rear. Just sayin…
You shouldn't compare the rim width and offset specs and limits of the 20" wheel with the 21" wheel. There are plenty of examples of LRMY owners who have squared up the 21" Uberturbine 10.5" wide wheels that come as the rear wheels of the Performance Model Y with the OE 275/35R-21 tires with no fitment issue at the front wheel location. (If you do this with the OE 21" Uberturbine 9.5" wheels from the front of the Performance Model Y the front wheels and tires do not meet the minimum weight rating for the rear wheels/tires on the Performance Model Y.)

The only things you get by trading for a Performance Y is 0.5 secs faster going 0-60, larger tires, beefier brakes ( hardly used anyway), track mode, and a rear spoiler. Yes the ride will likely be a bit stiffer and not as smooth esp with the larger wheels. Does your wife really care about the Performance “goodies”? I would wager not.
Wow! You must know his wife well!!:D

I don’t understand why people even want to square up the wheels on a MYP if keeping uberturbines (and not going aftermarket or to induction/gemini). You would have to buy 2 extra back 10.5” wheels to match at $400+ each AND buy the bigger more expensive tires to match. Plus you are going to end up with more road debris flung up onto your car from the wider set up front. Who cares about rotating them front to back to get a more even wear. Just replace rears when necessary. Have dealt with this on so many performance cars over the past 20 years. It’s not a big deal. (From
Experience) ultra wide tires up front are annoying to drive with on city streets anyway. They grab every road imperfection or crack, make the car dart around more and rub occasionally. The added cost and hassle would take years to even break.

Last edited: