Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y long range: Cold battery performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This doesn't pertain to road trips but around town driving in snow / ice / slush I've noticed that:
- the battery re-gen is not as effective in snow and slippery conditions. Going from light to light if the wheels lock slightly during re-gen, traction control kicks in and stops the re-gen altogether. It's a little confusing at times trying to predict what the car will do.
- the high heat defrost feature seems to suck allot of juice. I mean you can refrain from using heated seats etc... but can't really not defrost windshield

I guess all understandable but rage takes a major hit in snow and ice

This doesn't pertain to road trips but around town driving in snow / ice / slush I've noticed that:
- the battery re-gen is not as effective in snow and slippery conditions. Going from light to light if the wheels lock slightly during re-gen, traction control kicks in and stops the re-gen altogether. It's a little confusing at times trying to predict what the car will do.
- the high heat defrost feature seems to suck allot of juice. I mean you can refrain from using heated seats etc... but can't really not defrost windshield

I guess all understandable but rage takes a major hit in snow and ice
I find turning on off-road model helps a bit with the snow/ice + regen issues you mentioned.

• Informative
Reactions: Stach