Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Long Range has 990 Rear Motor (Performance has 980)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Dual Motor Long Range Y, built August 15, 2020 (VIN: 36000, 8th character E) definitely has the 990 rear motor.

The Performance has the 980.

The original batch of LRs had the 980. They also had the Performance VIN (8th character is F while in my LR the 8th character is E). Details on the early LRs here: Model Y Performance Rear Motor

Debate *rages* whether there is a performance/efficiency difference. Personally I'd bet there is a performance benefit of the 980 (maybe at the cost of efficiency?).

IMG_9843.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Maryland and CO_MY
I doubt there's a performance benefit. Why would there be one if the car is programmed for a certain power output? Potential yes, but what good is potential if it can't be tapped? And It's highly unlikely that even the 990's potential is being maxed. People are getting caught up with this notion that because the 990's max rating isn't as high, that's it's somehow inferior. Look at the forums and see how many 980s are failing at all different mileage, some high some low. If you didn't care about your warranty, or updates, or any other possible consequences, and you wanted to tinker and dabble with the power output, then yeah, having the 980 would be beneficial. Other than that, it's an older design that seems to have more reliability issues. Hopefully, the ones going into the Performance Y and the newer P3Ds are updated versions, which is quite possible, but that's only a guess.

And I'm not saying 990s haven't had failures. There's one member right now with a recent build Y that may have a failed motor that could be 990. I'm hoping he posts the part number after his service visit. But all in all, they seem to be more reliable...so far. Maybe that's a reason Tesla is switching over to them in their non-P vehicles.

• Disagree
Reactions: sherlockw
I don’t know what point you thought I made. And I sure didn’t mean to say anything against your team.

I think all of what you said is likely true. And the older ones probably have a power curve that happens to favour off-the-line performance.

It's not about 'my' team. And hopefully my post didn't come across as aggressive or combative. You posted links to threads that talked about the potential differences (with quite a bit of speculation), all of which is great info for someone looking into modifications. But there's no proof (at least that I've seen) that from the factory, a LR AWD (3 or Y) is quicker off the line just because they had the 980 vs 990. Or that there's a different power curve programmed in one vs the other. That's what your post seems to insinuate. Their 0-60 is rated the same. The M3 AWD was the test bed for the 990 and they've been in cars for at least a year or more. How many threads have you seen claiming (with proof) one is quicker than the other from the factory (all else being equal)? Or that one is more efficient?

It's not about 'my' team. And hopefully my post didn't come across as aggressive or combative. You posted links to threads that talked about the potential differences (with quite a bit of speculation), all of which is great info for someone looking into modifications. But there's no proof (at least that I've seen) that from the factory, a LR AWD (3 or Y) is quicker off the line just because they had the 980 vs 990. Or that there's a different power curve programmed in one vs the other. That's what your post seems to insinuate. Their 0-60 is rated the same. The M3 AWD was the test bed for the 990 and they've been in cars for at least a year or more. How many threads have you seen claiming (with proof) one is quicker than the other from the factory (all else being equal)? Or that one is more efficient?

No evidence, that’s why I said I’d bet.

I think it’s probably true, because there is absolutely zero reason to stock and assemble a different motor ONLY in performance versions.

That’s speculation based on basic assembly and inventory practices, plus a healthy dose of common sense about why a part would be P only.

The motors are manufactured the same and binned to different performance buckets, and then programmed accordingly. Not hard to understand. A given lower perf binned motor may or may not be capable of similar outputs if software allowed, but the binning process showed them incapable of either peak or sustained behavior above the defined threshold for the 980 designation.

(And yes, this has been explained a zillion times on the 3 forums as it is the exact same case for the 3 as it is the Y)

The motors are manufactured the same and binned to different performance buckets, and then programmed accordingly. Not hard to understand. A given lower perf binned motor may or may not be capable of similar outputs if software allowed, but the binning process showed them incapable of either peak or sustained behavior above the defined threshold for the 980 designation.

(And yes, this has been explained a zillion times on the 3 forums as it is the exact same case for the 3 as it is the Y)

Aside from the power capabilities, there are a lot about these motors we don't know about. And there are discovered differences in the casings High pitched noise from drive unit and multiple revisions to each motor. So to say they're the same and one simply contains binned parts is also speculation. Until someone opens up each side by side and goes through them with fine tooth comb, we won't know for sure what all the differences are.

What we do know from this forum: The reported DU failures are overwhelmingly 980s.

No evidence, that’s why I said I’d bet.

I think it’s probably true, because there is absolutely zero reason to stock and assemble a different motor ONLY in performance versions.

That’s speculation based on basic assembly and inventory practices, plus a healthy dose of common sense about why a part would be P only.

You'd bet what exactly? That your LR Y is slower off-the-line than another non-P LR Y with a 980?

Last edited:

Just here to say I love your signature’s rhyme