Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Long Range - New Owner Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here since we ordered our MY in May of 2022 and wanted to share my thoughts below as we just picked it up on 12/30.

My wife had been driving a loaded 2016 Lexus RX350 F-Sport and loved that car, but she drives 20k+ miles per year and was getting tired of the seemingly constant fuel stops and oil changes. So, she decided she wanted to go electric and for me, Tesla is still miles ahead of the competition in ways that matter most (range, charging infrastructure, software). Plus, the MY is the perfect sized vehicle for her.

We ordered on 5/30/2022 and it was delivered exactly 7 months later (with the awesome December incentives!). Our configuration is the 5 seater, white on white, no other options. The vehicle was built in Fremont. I financed through my local CU and the entire delivery process took about an hour, and they were extremely busy doing their EOY push (Kennesaw, GA). Upon inspection, I could hardly find any faults. Gaps are tight, interior looks good and no rattles as of yet. I did get matrix headlights!

I've never driven an electric vehicle whatsoever, and wow, what a change! The instant torque is astonishing and I can only imagine what a MYP would feel like. The regen braking is very nice and took little time to get used to (I used the actual brakes only one time on our 40 mile drive back home). Handling is great with the low center of gravity and the ride quality is sporty but not over the top (somewhere between our RX350 and my aunt's Porsche Cayenne). The center screen is beautiful and truly a game-changing experience in a vehicle. I installed the holiday update the night of pickup.

Mods/accessories: Carbon fiber performance spoiler, Replika R241 wheels (swapping OE tires and sensors over), Homelink (installed myself), rear vent covers, screen protector, splash guards, rubber floor mats, MY plate frame in black, black T badges and Dual Motor badge removed, Llumar IRX tint (15% front, 35% rear, 50% windshield, to be installed this week), DIY front bumper and headlights/foglights PPF (this was a PITA and I would probably not do it again), Crystal Serum Light + Exo V4 (my fourth time installing myself and always a great experience). I did a quick one-step correction with a light polish and that's all it needed. Charging with wall connector, and purchased mobile charger to keep in car, just in case.

This will primarily be my wife's vehicle, but I wanted to share my initial impressions. So far, so good. She will miss some of the luxuries from the Lexus (cooling seats, 360 camera, dynamic cornering headlights). That said, we knew what we were getting and are not disappointed so far except for the lack of parking sensors, which I imagine will be corrected soon enough. Someday I'm sure I'll get a Tesla for myself, but only when I can afford that and a 911 or some other ICE sports car as a weekend car. In the meantime, I continue to enjoy daily driving my current ICE sports car (Toyota GR86). Feel free to post any questions about the car or accessories below. Photo is before the detail and accessories installation.

IMG_0536.jpeg

Ditto -- Fremont Built MY LR with self driving option delivered November -- hearing of the discounts in December has made me just a little bit remorseful to have taken delivery in November. I traded in a KIA Stinger GT (loved this car) for the Model Y to avoid California gas prices. At first I was disappointed no AppleCarplay and No Sirius XM, no Head-up display, no Homelink as well. But into the second month of driving the car I love how it drives (speed response and handling), love having a full tank of energy from home and best stereo I've owned compared to previous cars I've owned like Lexus and Mercedes (yes did I say I owned a KIA as well) Modifications -- mudflaps, yes! -- mini screen on steering column from tesery.com, yes!! (really love this OEM looking option) Animated rear turn signals replacing rear reflectors (love this one too), yes!, metal brake and accelerator pedal covers, USB-C and A insert fit into storage drawer slide space, and Tesla Puddle lights added -- Since MyQ was added and works well not likely to add Homelink but appreciate all the information provided on self installation and option to buy on eBay -- I'd been looking at that. I also looked into trying to install Sirius XM -- have a Ryzen processor and determined to forego trying to install a Model S FM/XM/HD tuner in the rear trunk to gain XM functions -- after listening to my Model Y stereo I've concluded Sirius XM had a lousy sound quality anyway as well as terrible subscription renewal policies -- so I think Tesla did me a favor leaving it off the car. Frankly I love this car, It's fun and has many extra's that can be added to the car to personalize it -- When they make a 7 inch rear screen that tells temperature in Ferhenheit instead of Celsius I will be adding that to the car. It's a computer on wheels and I like how it is easier to take apart and reassemble than most new cars due to its spartan design features-- and lastly I love how it continually updates keeping the car as new as the newest model.

Attachments

• IMG_3515.jpeg
    IMG_3515.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_3516.jpeg
    IMG_3516.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3517.jpeg
    IMG_3517.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0134.jpeg
    IMG_0134.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Ditto -- Fremont Built MY LR with self driving option delivered November -- hearing of the discounts in December has made me just a little bit remorseful to have taken delivery in November. I traded in a KIA Stinger GT (loved this car) for the Model Y to avoid California gas prices. At first I was disappointed no AppleCarplay and No Sirius XM, no Head-up display, no Homelink as well. But into the second month of driving the car I love how it drives (speed response and handling), love having a full tank of energy from home and best stereo I've owned compared to previous cars I've owned like Lexus and Mercedes (yes did I say I owned a KIA as well) Modifications -- mudflaps, yes! -- mini screen on steering column from tesery.com, yes!! (really love this OEM looking option) Animated rear turn signals replacing rear reflectors (love this one too), yes!, metal brake and accelerator pedal covers, USB-C and A insert fit into storage drawer slide space, and Tesla Puddle lights added -- Since MyQ was added and works well not likely to add Homelink but appreciate all the information provided on self installation and option to buy on eBay -- I'd been looking at that. I also looked into trying to install Sirius XM -- have a Ryzen processor and determined to forego trying to install a Model S FM/XM/HD tuner in the rear trunk to gain XM functions -- after listening to my Model Y stereo I've concluded Sirius XM had a lousy sound quality anyway as well as terrible subscription renewal policies -- so I think Tesla did me a favor leaving it off the car. Frankly I love this car, It's fun and has many extra's that can be added to the car to personalize it -- When they make a 7 inch rear screen that tells temperature in Ferhenheit instead of Celsius I will be adding that to the car. It's a computer on wheels and I like how it is easier to take apart and reassemble than most new cars due to its spartan design features-- and lastly I love how it continually updates keeping the car as new as the newest model.
Is extra mini screen this one?

30 Days with MYP, 2023
An profound journey, traded in my Wrangler Rubicon Hardrock, awesome vehicle, and transformed into a black MYP. A little emotional giving up my ICE truck but joining the Tesla ecosystem feels right and its amazing. From great interactions with the company for test drives, questions, forums, selecting, buying, the transaction, owning, service, PPF/ceramic, supercharging, green parking spaces, short drives, long drives, packing with family and luggage, and the list goes on. Absolutely no regrets.

Advice for those lurking, thinking about making the jump. Do a test drive, have your partner do a test drive, talk to friends and family with evs and especially Teslas. Price your ICE for trade in and price it again a month later, watch it's value/$ drop quickly. Make sure you have a min 5-15 outlet nearby where you park, buy a mobile charger with your transaction, jump in, and immediately get PPF/ceramic. Enjoy.

Besides the immediate PPF, the accessory list is big and well known. What did not work, the underseat bins. I have the 3D mats and the raised lip prevented the bins from being accessed. The rear bin is great and a keeper. Love the accessory customization process.

Coolest accessory, with the noted app, I can unlock the MYP with my apple watch...very cool. Good Luck.

EVERYONE WAKE UP, ELON JUST DROPPED THE PRICES, AND WITH THE RIGHT CONFIG YOU CAN GET LR AND THE TAX CREDITS!!!! NO EXCUSES, JOIN TESLA NATION, ITS AMAZING!!!
It's great for everyone except those that took delivery within the last few months 😐 I'm thankful for my May pricing plus the EOY discounts which gets me close to this current pricing, though no tax credit obviously. Really feel for those that paid the full price and no discounts.

But yes, at the current pricing, definitely go pick one up if you're on the fence!

Last edited:
It's great for everyone except those that took delivery within the last few months 😐 I'm thankful for my May pricing plus the EOY discounts which gets me close to this current pricing, though no tax credit obviously. Really feel for those that paid the full price and no discounts.

But yes, at the current pricing, definitely go pick one up if you're on the fence!
lol...May pricing, Nov pickup, no incentives or price breaks checking in. Sad panda...going to watch happy panda videos now, lmao

• Funny
Reactions: tyler_k1
With my MYP in December, I only received the first $3750. I have no regrets, hoping the new price cuts brings the rest of everyone off the fence. Unless Ford was hiding margin, think this will kill the Mach E sales. GM is still in a good path both the Equinox/Blazer must stay at $35K. My neighbor has two of those vehicles and will make the switch to GM EVs or M2 if all pricing stays. Feel great for Tesla, good for GM and worried about Ford. The CT may have a huge impact on Ford/GM and RAM PU sales for the CT will change everyone's idea of a PU. I may trade my MYP in for a CT when the CT gen 2 comes out. Its all about Tesla Nation.

Reactions: tyler_k1
Little 10 month update:

The Y continues to be great, and while it would have been nice to pay less, I don't regret the purchase. We currently have about 25k miles on it, insane! My wife drives it most of the time and she absolutely loves it. As much as she loved her RX350 we had previously, she loves the Y more for the convenience, tech, power and low running costs.

Just had it at Discount Tire for a rotation and we're at 5 and 6 32's, so starting to think about what's next tire-wise. I'm pretty sure I've decided on the Hankook ION Evo AS SUV. I'm still very happy with the Replika wheels.

A few months ago it was involved in a slow rear end collision, but all that needed to be fixed was a dent on the lift gate. Took about 3 weeks, had a 2023 M3 RWD rental. I liked the way it drove with the lower center of gravity, but I was unimpressed with the tire noise and much prefer the seating position in the Y. Took it on an 8 hour roadtrip during our time with it and never found the range to be lacking despite not being a LR model.

I'm starting to think about making our household an all Tesla household by considering a MS for myself. I've always had 'fun' cars though (RWD sports cars), so I'm worried about missing that kind of vehicle. Ideally I'd have a Tesla and a sports car, and someday that will be the case. The issue with considering a MS though is that a 'refresh refresh' is a bit more than I want to spend. I could possibly get a Raven Performance for my price range, though I much prefer the current interior.

Edit: lifetime efficiency so far IIRC is somewhere in the 280's. Mostly freeway driving.

Last edited:
Little 10 month update:

The Y continues to be great, and while it would have been nice to pay less, I don't regret the purchase. We currently have about 25k miles on it, insane! My wife drives it most of the time and she absolutely loves it. As much as she loved her RX350 we had previously, she loves the Y more for the convenience, tech, power and low running costs.

Just had it at Discount Tire for a rotation and we're at 5 and 6 32's, so starting to think about what's next tire-wise. I'm pretty sure I've decided on the Hankook ION Evo AS SUV. I'm still very happy with the Replika wheels.

A few months ago it was involved in a slow rear end collision, but all that needed to be fixed was a dent on the lift gate. Took about 3 weeks, had a 2023 M3 RWD rental. I liked the way it drove with the lower center of gravity, but I was unimpressed with the tire noise and much prefer the seating position in the Y. Took it on an 8 hour roadtrip during our time with it and never found the range to be lacking despite not being a LR model.

I'm starting to think about making our household an all Tesla household by considering a MS for myself. I've always had 'fun' cars though (RWD sports cars), so I'm worried about missing that kind of vehicle. Ideally I'd have a Tesla and a sports car, and someday that will be the case. The issue with considering a MS though is that a 'refresh refresh' is a bit more than I want to spend. I could possibly get a Raven Performance for my price range, though I much prefer the current interior.

Edit: lifetime efficiency so far IIRC is somewhere in the 280's. Mostly freeway driving.
You might want to wait
There are rumblings of a M3 Highland Plaid that could cause the MS to be discontinued

You might want to wait
There are rumblings of a M3 Highland Plaid that could cause the MS to be discontinued
Interesting, I had heard of the M3 Plaid rumors but not the discontinuing of the MS until now. Seems like the MX could also be discontinued. I liked the M3 we rented, but just didn't love the road noise and there are a few luxuries I like with the MS. Obviously they've fixed some of that with the Highland and added features like ventilated seats, so maybe I will have to give that a shot when it comes out.

Reactions: kpanda17