Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Long Range Rear Wheel Drive (LR RWD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated my LR RWD to LR AWD today to lock in the $49,990 pricing in case they decide to raise it in 2 weeks (I missed out on the $48,990 pricing as I was holding out for LR RWD and new console and headlights, I should have went with my gut feeling and changed it to AWD, this was a week before they increased it again).

I am holding out for the new headlights prior to going for it, so after I made the change I noticed that my order is on hold until September, guess I should have changed it earlier when it was $48,990 knowing that my order is on hold.. No need for me to call them as I am fine with the order on hold..

I wonder if the Sept date is when the LR RWD is released with Texas coming up..

1617250895673.png

Reactions: seangoggin
Updated my LR RWD to LR AWD today to lock in the $49,990 pricing in case they decide to raise it in 2 weeks (I missed out on the $48,990 pricing as I was holding out for LR RWD and new console and headlights, I should have went with my gut feeling and changed it to AWD, this was a week before they increased it again).

I am holding out for the new headlights prior to going for it, so after I made the change I noticed that my order is on hold until September, guess I should have changed it earlier when it was $48,990 knowing that my order is on hold.. No need for me to call them as I am fine with the order on hold..

View attachment 649816
Same message here after updating to AWD

Appalled by the whole experience

I ordered an LR AWD Blue around mid-march, I called one of the stores in the bay area and the SA was very nice and helped me. I was told I will have it on 28th and on the 28th I was told it is pushed to 30th and then 31st. I was still okay with all this considering 31st was the end of Q1 and there was a good chance for me getting it. I met with an accident and my old car got totaled and insurance gave rental car only till April 2nd also I am kind of in need of a car since my wife is pregnant. SA told me that the car is into the production line on 03/30 and it's about to come out and you can go pick it up once you get a message.

03/31: I get the text saying it will be delivered between 9 and 6 PM and at 6 - I still don't have an answer at 7:20 I get a call from one of the delivery advisors saying the car has not been PRODUCED? then what was on the delivery vehicle? He said I don't have a blue to give you - if you are "Flexible" I can get you a blue which is a 200 miles - test drive car or a brand new white, MSM, or black. I was totally bummed to hear him say that - not one person communicated about any issues in delivery until 1 hour after delivery time is over they mention that it's not even made. I asked him to send MSM as he is not leaving me a choice - cause I need to have a car for any emergency once the rental car is returned.

one of the people who came to deliver the car was slamming the car door in front of me multiple times- I called him out. I told him I can't accept it until morning as I need to inspect it under sunlight cause it's too dark. when I mentioned that I see a couple of panel gaps, he was just pushing the plastic in front of me to make it right, I didn't pay $60k for him to do that.

From my quick check - it doesn't seem to bad in terms of panel gaps and there are no paint chips that I could see with flashlight - which is a good sign. I got a few phone numbers of delivery team managers, I'm definitely going to have a word not sure if anything will come out of it.

I am just in a dilemma - if the car is good with only two or three issues should i accept it and keep it cause I am not sure once I reject tomorrow the blue that they will give will be issue-free.

Bottom line I just want a car at a fair price, which to me is order price + cost of AWD motors. There is much confusion at Tesla and no communication.
There is no negotiation, just accept or not.

Feb 9 I asked and they did change my order to AWD, but only on March 23 and I do not have a VIN or final sales agreement document yet. I followed up with them 4 times before the change.

I would keep records for example a PDF of your current order details before asking for the change.

The price I have is currently $1,000 CDN less than current retail, which may be the correct price given all the price changes on the product since launch. A number of people said they would honour the old FSD price but only with the old base price. The original base price was around 52kUSD and 6kUSD for FSD. The difference between the original LRRWD price to the current LRAWD may not be very much. I am in Canada so I have different price changes.

The Sales Advisor that made the change said the prices you see may be current retail, but they would "fix" them in the sales agreement document.

You are in California so you could still get something this quarter. I think I will not make the end of the quarter so it will be pushed out for maybe a month.

I will also be looking for Q2 price and model changes maybe around April 11th. I expect they will let the dust from the end of the quarter and let people have an easter break before introducing changes. As I have said before I think they are battery supply limited until Austin is online so they will not be discounted much.
I sent you a message on Twitter before I saw this note. Thanks for the info. I’ll talk to them after April 11.

Why is your delivery on hold until Sept? The website says 3-8 wks out. I am getting so confused by this company, I sure wish there was an EV alternative to the Y.

The VW ID.4 and Ford Mach-E are similar workable alternatives to the Model Y but are mostly sold out for now. Model Y is more available and the supercharger network is better than CCS in my area.

Reactions: blissdancer

View attachment 649816
Would you mind to share the new option that will be current price or old price you ordered in the past? i.e FSD, 20in wheel, etc since I am now thinking about alternative trim.

Reactions: blissdancer
Why is your delivery on hold until Sept? The website says 3-8 wks out. I am getting so confused by this company, I sure wish there was an EV alternative to the Y.
Blissdancer - there is an EV alternative to the Model Y - it's called the Ford Mach e and by all reports it is a compelling and well built crossover that actually gets EPA estimated 270-300 miles of range depending on whether you have AWD or RWD trim level.

The issue with the Mach e and every other non-Tesla EV is that the charging network is unreliable, frustrating, and often times very expensive. Most of the time it is just unreliable. In my experience owning a non-Tesla EV (BMW i3 which is incredibly well built) I have experienced 50 percent success rate with non-Tesla chargers. That's just not good enough.

Interesting how I switched to LR AWD and they want to cancel my order now. They are really pushing trying to get these delivered even though I am waiting on the headlights.
Hi XXX,
We’re contacting you regarding the Model Y you ordered on March XX, 2019 to offer any assistance in bringing your car home. We’re excited to deliver your Model Y at your earliest convenience and welcome you to the Tesla family.
Your order is set to cancel soon, but if you still intend to take delivery, please contact [email protected] by April XX, 2021.
If we do not hear from you by this date, we will assume that you no longer wish to purchase a vehicle. Your order will automatically be cancelled and your deposit fully refunded.
Thank you for supporting the world’s transition to sustainable energy.
Best Regards,
The Tesla Team

So you got this is for LR AWD? Is that because you have delayed your delivery?
My question too - has anyone with a LR RWD reservation been told to order an AWD model or else? I was contacted a couple of months ago and told that I could transfer to Performance or AWD, get a refund, or sit tight. I have taken a wait and see on RWD because I don’t need the car until Fall. If the RWD really is a no go and they force us into ordering AWD or canceling, I may just order or FSD goes from $6k to $10k.

So you got this is for LR AWD? Is that because you have delayed your delivery?

My question too - has anyone with a LR RWD reservation been told to order an AWD model or else? I was contacted a couple of months ago and told that I could transfer to Performance or AWD, get a refund, or sit tight. I have taken a wait and see on RWD because I don’t need the car until Fall. If the RWD really is a no go and they force us into ordering AWD or canceling, I may just order or FSD goes from $6k to $10k.

Yeah I changed my LR RWD to LR AWD to lock in current pricing in case tax incentives come back or new headlights come out.. For me, I don't really necessarily need the car so if they cancel it I can just wait and then re-order in the future and get my $2,500 back to put into TSLA.

Yeah I changed my LR RWD to LR AWD to lock in current pricing in case tax incentives come back or new headlights come out.. For me, I don't really necessarily need the car so if they cancel it I can just wait and then re-order in the future and get my $2,500 back to put into TSLA.
Did you lock in the old FSD pricing when you convertEd your reservation to AWD? If so, you will lose that pricing when you cancel your reservation and get refunded. Your new reservation, whenever you make it, will be at whatever pricing is going at that time. Maybe not a big deal if you don’t plan to get the car for a while, but would make it more consequential if you plan to buy sometime in the near future.

The issue with the Mach e and every other non-Tesla EV is that the charging network is unreliable, frustrating, and often times very expensive. Most of the time it is just unreliable. In my experience owning a non-Tesla EV (BMW i3 which is incredibly well built) I have experienced 50 percent success rate with non-Tesla chargers. That's just not good enough.
Also just as important is efficiency and charge curves. If you use 20% more electricity and it charges slower the charge time basically doubles over a Model Y one a road trip over 600 miles.

Sorry can you please clarify? Are you suggesting that if the tax incentives come back they will raise the price of the cars by that same amount?