Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Long Range Rear Wheel Drive (LR RWD)

benh57

Dec 31, 2013
Westchester, CA
Well, it ended up working out for the best anyway. Being that i work from home now, and have used my car maybe 15-20 times max since March. And us RWD folks are gonna get better Model Ys than the day 1 folks, dual pane windows, etc.

Undisclosed

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Well, it ended up working out for the best anyway. Being that i work from home now, and have used my car maybe 15-20 times max since March. And us RWD folks are gonna get better Model Ys than the day 1 folks, dual pane windows, etc.

Unless they decide to do partial premium interior or something..

jsight

Apr 5, 2018
Charleston
Still waiting on my 7 seater that was supposed to have delivery started already. Huge grain of salt especially based on chat convo with sales rep whom some seem to know less than Reddit.

Yep... back in August, my sales rep thought we'd hear more by October. Obviously that didn't happen.

AFAIK, neither were "wrong" at the time either. Plans change sometimes, and I keep hearing that they have been moving the schedule for this back late in the process.

nhoover

Mar 10, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Like other people, I have far fewer places to go this year. Luckily my old Mazda is still running well so this delay is not all that bad for me. The car we end up getting will just be better. I'm the type who doesn't trade in often. For instance I've had the Mazda since 2004 and my truck since 2002. So I never wanted one of the early Ys.

ahanorcal

Jan 8, 2021
East bay
Like other people, I have far fewer places to go this year. Luckily my old Mazda is still running well so this delay is not all that bad for me. The car we end up getting will just be better. I'm the type who doesn't trade in often. For instance I've had the Mazda since 2004 and my truck since 2002. So I never wanted one of the early Ys.

ahanorcal

Jan 8, 2021
East bay
I'm sure most of you heard about the news yesterday Tesla now offering standard range model Y rear wheel drive. Hopefully we don't have to wait much longer for the long range rear wheel drive which I also signed up for in March 2019. It would be great if Tesla could post some updates about their plans...

nhoover

Mar 10, 2020
Los Gatos, California
It is so strange and sad that they changed gears and went with the standard range - the exact opposite of their stated intentions. For me, I have no interest in a car with max range of 244 miles. Certainly not for north of 40k. I guess I'll hang in there a while and wait for the LR but it doesn't look very promising now.

USCCowboys

Nov 13, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
What the???? Where is the LR single motor? I want 350+ range. Geez.... And yet the stock goes up up up.

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 11.20.17 AM.png

Reactions: SummerlinChiro

ftmaybe

Feb 11, 2020
San Joaquin
It is so strange and sad that they changed gears and went with the standard range - the exact opposite of their stated intentions. For me, I have no interest in a car with max range of 244 miles. Certainly not for north of 40k. I guess I'll hang in there a while and wait for the LR but it doesn't look very promising now.

Aren't the offerings in teh same price range from other manufacturers less than 244 miles?

Reactions: DanDi58

Richbot

Oct 16, 2020
STL
If Tesla had offered a 250-mile range option for the Model X for $10k off this past fall, I would have jumped on it. Like I said in the X refresh thread, I think the 7 seat Y is going to eat a lot of X sales, and I think people are overestimating the remaining range anxiety with the EV buyer. People are going to see 244 and go "oh, about the same as a bolt or leaf or ID4 but bigger and faster with more space"

I think this is gonna sell like crazy.

It'll also, from an enthusiast perspective, be the nicest Y to drive if the Model 3 SR+ is any indication. Lighter, less bumpstop-punishing ride, without the front motor polluting the steering, it's just a no-excuses, great fun everyday car. Y SR will be like that, just a bit worse because taller and heavier.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro

nhoover

Mar 10, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Aren't the offerings in teh same price range from other manufacturers less than 244 miles?

I have no interest in any car, gas or electric, with a max range of 244 miles. If I wanted a car for around home and small trips this would be fine. But I only want to buy one car and it has to work for road trips too. My existing gas car can go 420 miles. 244 miles is not competitive with that. Range is the number one thing for me although I REALLY want to go electric. 326 miles is almost enough but a slightly cheaper, slightly longer range RWD MY would make me actually switch from gas to Tesla.

I don't need it now and will wait - maybe a 4680 version next year will be better in other ways as well as having enough range.

DanDi58

Jun 22, 2020
Dayton NJ
I think this is exactly it. Just like lowering the price of the Model S to $69,420 after Lucid announced the price of their entry-level Air, I think Tesla is reacting to the ID.4 and Mach-E, which have versions that start with about this range and about this price (before incentives). Perhaps they feel that the Tesla name, tech and Supercharging network will entice some of those potential buyers. And this is part of the reason the stock continues to 'pop'.

LV1972

Nov 25, 2020
henderson
Supercharging network for SR is irrelevant. VW ID4 gets 3 years of free charge. Plus its $10k cheaper then MY with government and state tax incentives.

MY SR is excellent city car but it cost 44k. If price was below 40k with color of your choice it would be much better deal.

Many new buyers can think for those money they can buy 2021 Toyota RAV4 PRIME and still use electric 42 miles driving around the city.

• Disagree
Reactions: DanDi58

Richbot

Oct 16, 2020
STL
City car...lol

I have yet to need more than 100 miles of range in a day since...2019? Does that mean it's a suburb car too?

ahanorcal

Jan 8, 2021
East bay
I just keep hoping that Tesla really starts to make some public announcements for people who have plans for the model Y long range rear-wheel drive... Otherwise how long do they expect to keep your $2,500 deposit from nearly 2 years ago?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC