Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Long Range Rear Wheel Drive (LR RWD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it ended up working out for the best anyway. Being that i work from home now, and have used my car maybe 15-20 times max since March. And us RWD folks are gonna get better Model Ys than the day 1 folks, dual pane windows, etc.

Still waiting on my 7 seater that was supposed to have delivery started already. Huge grain of salt especially based on chat convo with sales rep whom some seem to know less than Reddit.

Yep... back in August, my sales rep thought we'd hear more by October. Obviously that didn't happen.

AFAIK, neither were "wrong" at the time either. Plans change sometimes, and I keep hearing that they have been moving the schedule for this back late in the process.

I'm sure most of you heard about the news yesterday Tesla now offering standard range model Y rear wheel drive. Hopefully we don't have to wait much longer for the long range rear wheel drive which I also signed up for in March 2019. It would be great if Tesla could post some updates about their plans...

It is so strange and sad that they changed gears and went with the standard range - the exact opposite of their stated intentions. For me, I have no interest in a car with max range of 244 miles. Certainly not for north of 40k. I guess I'll hang in there a while and wait for the LR but it doesn't look very promising now.

What the???? Where is the LR single motor? I want 350+ range. Geez.... And yet the stock goes up up up.

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 11.20.17 AM.png

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
It is so strange and sad that they changed gears and went with the standard range - the exact opposite of their stated intentions. For me, I have no interest in a car with max range of 244 miles. Certainly not for north of 40k. I guess I'll hang in there a while and wait for the LR but it doesn't look very promising now.

Aren't the offerings in teh same price range from other manufacturers less than 244 miles?

Reactions: DanDi58
If Tesla had offered a 250-mile range option for the Model X for $10k off this past fall, I would have jumped on it. Like I said in the X refresh thread, I think the 7 seat Y is going to eat a lot of X sales, and I think people are overestimating the remaining range anxiety with the EV buyer. People are going to see 244 and go "oh, about the same as a bolt or leaf or ID4 but bigger and faster with more space"

I think this is gonna sell like crazy.

It'll also, from an enthusiast perspective, be the nicest Y to drive if the Model 3 SR+ is any indication. Lighter, less bumpstop-punishing ride, without the front motor polluting the steering, it's just a no-excuses, great fun everyday car. Y SR will be like that, just a bit worse because taller and heavier.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Aren't the offerings in teh same price range from other manufacturers less than 244 miles?

I have no interest in any car, gas or electric, with a max range of 244 miles. If I wanted a car for around home and small trips this would be fine. But I only want to buy one car and it has to work for road trips too. My existing gas car can go 420 miles. 244 miles is not competitive with that. Range is the number one thing for me although I REALLY want to go electric. 326 miles is almost enough but a slightly cheaper, slightly longer range RWD MY would make me actually switch from gas to Tesla.

I don't need it now and will wait - maybe a 4680 version next year will be better in other ways as well as having enough range.

I think this is exactly it. Just like lowering the price of the Model S to $69,420 after Lucid announced the price of their entry-level Air, I think Tesla is reacting to the ID.4 and Mach-E, which have versions that start with about this range and about this price (before incentives). Perhaps they feel that the Tesla name, tech and Supercharging network will entice some of those potential buyers. And this is part of the reason the stock continues to 'pop'.

Supercharging network for SR is irrelevant. VW ID4 gets 3 years of free charge. Plus its $10k cheaper then MY with government and state tax incentives.

MY SR is excellent city car but it cost 44k. If price was below 40k with color of your choice it would be much better deal.

Many new buyers can think for those money they can buy 2021 Toyota RAV4 PRIME and still use electric 42 miles driving around the city.

• Disagree
Reactions: DanDi58