Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Long Range Rear Wheel Drive (LR RWD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people are reporting that Tesla is also requiring them to use the AWD price at the time of their reservation. Their logic seems to be that they will honor your reserved FSD price if you honor the AWD price at the time of your reservation. Can you check and confirm this?
This is confirmed. If they honor the FSD price (mine was 5k) then they also keep original pricing from time of order

I really hope I can do that! In my country they increased AWD pricing on Feb of last year.. I've been trying to get a hold of my sales rep all day to see if I can get them to offer me AWD upgrade pricing of when I made the reservation (plus same FSD cost of course) but no luck yet =\ Im worried if they really officialy cancel LR RWD that they just reimburse the deposit and that you need to make a new order with current pricing, if that happens I would sadly had turn to another car brand (cant justify the extra ~250k MXN/12k USD just for a RWD->AWD upgrade, vs a 90k MXN/4500usd upgrade if I can get them to offer me the pricing of my reservation date)
I emailed my rep all the articles saying they’d honor FSD and they were able to do that.
Here is price breakdown:
PRICING WITH ORDER:

Full Self Driving: $5,000

White interior: $1,000

Red Exterior: $2,500

20inch wheels: $1,500

Long Range Base Price: $51,000

PRICING NOW:

Full Self Driving: $10,000

White interior: $1,000

Red Exterior: $2,000

20inch wheels: $2,000

Long Range Base Price: $49,900

My MY reservation was for the long range RWD. I switched over to the AWD dual motor version when they said they didn't plan to build the LR/RWD model Y and they gave me the FSD for the original 5K but also charged me the original price of the AWD car for 52K instead of the current price of 49,990. So basically they got my $2500 for nearly 2 years and sold me the car for nearly the same price as someone ordering it 6 weeks ago when the FSD cost 8K. They desperately need competition.

Reactions: camthehombre
I switched over to the AWD dual motor version when they said they didn't plan to build the LR/RWD model Y
FYI Tesla still has never officially said they wouldn't build the LR RWD MY. The Teslarati article was one rogue sales associate, other ones have not confirmed this and say to still wait.

I'm still waiting for mine.

Though, i am considering a new Model S now... will need to test drive it / see reviews of the steering yoke/stalk situation.

Reactions: seangoggin
FYI Tesla still has never officially said they wouldn't build the LR RWD MY. The Teslarati article was one rogue sales associate, other ones have not confirmed this and say to still wait.

The information is weak but the lack of any refuting of the cancellation, and the knowledge that existing model sales are about capacity means I don’t think we’ll see a long range until after Austin’s is built, if ever.

I would continue waiting anyway. I think I would not take any action until I get official notice that if I don't switch, they will cancel my order directly and I would get nothing (except $2500 without interest).
I don't need a new car right now and I'm not sure if without LR RWD option, whether I would finally choose LR AWD, or any other (better) options. However, I think continue waiting means following benefits
  • Potential future upgrade, especially 4680 battery and other rumors.
  • Future tax credit from new government
  • Maybe Tesla would change its mind again regarding LR RWD
  • As now Tesla honors old FSD price to try to resolve these pre-orders, maybe in the future they would give even more benefit, e.g., old FSD price + new hardware price to resolve any remaining pre-orders.
Anyway, I don't need a new car right now so I have choice. It's still a good chance for anyone who want a new car asap.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 8.39.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 8.39.17 PM.png
    108.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
The information is weak but the lack of any refuting of the cancellation, and the knowledge that existing model sales are about capacity means I don’t think we’ll see a long range until after Austin’s is built, if ever.

I see you liked my tweet to Elon about this. Lol I’d recognize that Hawaiian shirt anywhere.

What have you decided about you LR- RWD reservation?

I am thinking of writing a real letter to Mr Musk asking him to clarify the fate of the LR/RWD. I have been told that someone will actually answer if I send a real paper letter. I’m also thinking of sending one to the Tesla advisory board asking them to give a yes or no answer to our dilemma.

What I don’t want to happen is to order the AWD and find out a month later the RWD is going to be made or that a newer AWD will be out with a longer range.

your thoughts?

Not to be contrarian, but it’s possible that nobody at Tesla, including Elon, knows the answer to your question at this time.

Market conditions, etc change all the time. It probably depends on what else happens going forward whether they ever produce it or not.

My wild guess is not because the M3 version was discontinued a long time ago (in Tesla time) and hasn’t returned.

Not to be contrarian, but it’s possible that nobody at Tesla, including Elon, knows the answer to your question at this time.

Market conditions, etc change all the time. It probably depends on what else happens going forward whether they ever produce it or not.

My wild guess is not because the M3 version was discontinued a long time ago (in Tesla time) and hasn’t returned.

Why did Musk say in July that the LR~RWD would be the next made and the standard would not be made if no ones knows what is going on? I find that hard to believe. I understand that this very rich man and his share holders doesn’t give a rats ass about us. The very least they could do is let the RWD deposit holders know what the hell is going on out of simple human kindness. I really do hope that other companies selling EV’s takeoff like fire in the next year and teach this company a valuable lesson.The only reason I tolerate this is because it is still the best EV on the market otherwise I would be out of here in a flash. Too bad my town doesn’t have a hydrogen fueling station if I would go with the new Toyota.

You just proved my point. He said one thing and then something else happened. You shouldn’t assume that won’t continue to be the case.

I understand your frustration but the reality is this company has many competitive advantages, and one of them is changing strategies on a dime to suit current market conditions. The other OEMs are pretty terrible at that which is why there’s still very little credible ev competition on the market. Let’s hope that changes one day.

your deposit is refundable so at least there’s that.

This is confirmed. If they honor the FSD price (mine was 5k) then they also keep original pricing from time of order

Who confirmed this? When? When I called the Santana Row sales shop I was told there was no knowledge regarding the fate of the LR RWD or ant deals to switch to the AWD. No one has reached out to me about anything even though I was promised a return call.

When I called Seaside, California service shop on the day that they have a sales person there from Santana Row San Jose California I was very rudely told that I could do anything I wanted to but they were not gonna give me any kind of price break on anything because that is not what Tesla does.

Why Doesn’t Tesla just notify all the LR RWD reservation holders and let us know what is going on ? How do you get someone to call you and offer you to sell you the AWD at the old price etc.? Obviously you can’t call them.

Why Doesn’t Tesla just notify all the LR RWD reservation holders and let us know what is going on? How do you get someone to call you and offer you to sell you the AWD at the old price etc.? Obviously, you can’t call them.

I strongly agree, they should at least update us on their plans.

I also liked your Twitter messages to Elon, I think Twitter is the most likely method of getting a response.
Maybe a hashtag campaign, or to get a major influencer to asking him would help.

I think they are currently battery constrained and US federal rebate talk is hurting numbers a bit hence the price reductions on the base models which use more car manufacturing capacity than battery capacity. The price reductions now are odd, normally we would be too close to the end of the quarter. They would not normally make changes this close to the end of the quarter for fear of upsetting any outstanding orders. It takes about 40 days to delivery from the factory if you are not matched to existing inventory.

I also talked to my service centre they don’t know what the plans for the LR RWD. I requested changing to AWD and keeping the FSD price and all they could do was forward it to internal contacts in the configuration department, but it’s been over a week and I haven’t heard anything or seen an order change. I did take the family on a test drive and check out space on the Y.

I suspect Tesla will not change or say anything until about 2 weeks after the quarter ends, mid-April. Then we will know if they are going to do anything until the end of June Q2. About a week after the end of the quarter they will map a plan for Q2 based on production forecasts.

Why did Musk say in July that the LR~RWD would be the next made and the standard would not be made if no ones knows what is going on?
Batteries.

In July he spoke about wanting satisfied customers and the importance of 300+ mile range. But it appears the ability to make more cars with the same amount of cells led to a different decision in the fall. I believe there will be many unhappy EV newbies when they experience the impact of cold weather etc. on range. Tesla will be able to best fit affordability, satisfaction and range for many customers with a RWD LR Y. When cell availability is a good enough, I believe Tesla will start making the LR RWD Y.

My email about switching from LR RWD to LR AWD reached the correct people and they are updating
the order keeping the FSD price. Should hopefully be done today.

Are they using the current AWD price or the one that existed when you made your LR RWD order? I have seen one post that shows they used the higher price. I am going to waking until March and then I will try to switch. I need to gather bro on people who have been successful in switching their orders as the locals here say no deal.

Are they using the current AWD price or the one that existed when you made your LR RWD order? I have seen one post that shows they used the higher price. I am going to waking until March and then I will try to switch. I need to gather bro on people who have been successful in switching their orders as the locals here say no deal.

He says the current price for AWD, but it is not all done yet, I will see.

I asked him explicitly and checked the prices and option prices and the total, because as you say other people are getting the order date price and option prices. I keep a google sheet with the detailed price calculation because dealerships are reality distortion areas. I ordered May 26, 2019. I am near Toronto so my prices are also in Canadian dollars, which have also moved over the years. Tesla's exchange rate in Canada has not been updated in a while so they are getting an extra 7% over US prices, so maybe they are not so worried here. I will see.

I think he just has manager approval to honour the FSD price. He is having someone update the order configuration and warned me everything on the manage page will have current prices. He says they will adjust the FSD price in the MVPA (Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement) when the car is here in about a month. (I am in Toronto/East coast so this is a normal shipping time.).

I think he has done this before, I talked to this Advisor a few years ago so I think he knows what is up. I will see.

Last edited:
Batteries.
When cell availability is good enough, I believe Tesla will start making the LR RWD Y.

I agree, they may make the LR RWD Y. It would be a great car. I think they have wanted to release it a few times over the last year, but they keep getting a lot of AWD orders. Maybe in the fall when Austin is running.

For a number of markets, an SR RWD Y is more important. A lot of places, Canada, Korea, Germany have incentive structures that give bigger credits to less expensive cars and often cut off credits for cars over a price.

I understand the call to make the SR first, what I do not understand is the lack of any guidance. I would have added some "convert order to AWD/SR button" on the manage page and just tell people you want to make the car but frankly, AWD orders are the priority.

We are adults and understand the score, the silence is irresponsible.

Reactions: Fred42
The SR Y in Canada's winter will have Leaf (summer) like a range - 150 miles - making it a city car except for the most hardy and adventurous .

Respectfully, I think that is a tad, pessimistic and the supercharger network has been built out a lot in the last few years in Canada.

supercharge.info

The supercharger with a warm and low battery is "have a coffee speed" unlike the Leaf.

Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus Now Supercharges At Up To 170 kW — Charts!
(Model Y SR has the same battery as Model 3 SR+)

The SR Y has an EPA 393km range, may 300km real world. My wife drives 100km every day into a rural area, normally now she uses 200km or rated range in this -15 weather, and 100km in above 10C and this is with our old preheat pump Tesla Model 3. If you can do a typical day without charging you are great. Since the car is 90% charged in the morning, and people rarely have a "2 tank day".

Certainly, a bigger battery is better, we spend a lot of time in rural Ontario, so we are looking for a bigger battery but as a commuter or second car even in Canada I think it has a place.