Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Long Range Rear Wheel Drive (LR RWD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a hold out too, had my $2500 down for over a year. After Tesla’s MY Crash Rating announcement today I think we still have hope! Read it carefully:

Model Y Achieves 5-Star Overall Safety Rating from NHTSA

“We expect similar results for all Model Y variants, including our Performance AWD and single motor, rear-wheel drive variants in the future.”

Variants (plural) Hopefully they mean Standard Range and Long Range RWD and not 5/7-seater. But I think by saying LR AWD, Performance AWD, and RWD Variants, they mean SR & LR.

Fingers crossed!
Well it would be great if that’s what they meant but who knows.

new to Tesla, bought a 2021 MY LR Dual Motor in mid December. Autopilot is fine, nothng earth shattering- other car is a 2016 VW Golf Wagon fully loaded with lane keeping assist, self parking, radar cruise control (start-stop), front collision warning, rear cross traffic alert, blind spot...etc etc...my commnet for all here is this: Love my Model Y, but in terms of Autopiliot, and beta steering in city, am i missing something?...its just not that impressive. My Golf does very similar stuff in terms of lane keeping and radar cruise in stop and go traffic. Golf has excellent self-parking (would have to pay an absurd $10,800 here in Canada for FSD to get that on the Y. F=GOlf has blind spot monitoring with lighting in the sire mirrors, Tesla does not have this which is a MAJOR safety oversight IMO...sorry, looking at screen is not a substitute and is delayed and unrelianble anyway. Unless Im missing something, I feel that generally, Tesla owners are far to giddy about AUtopilot and FSD to be objective; or..., they are perhaps a little ignorant oof whats out there...my Golf is 4 years old...and not a luxury brand yet the tech is excellent....again, I love my Model Y but see its shortcomings and feel Autopilot/FSD is overhyped

new to Tesla, bought a 2021 MY LR Dual Motor in mid December. Autopilot is fine, nothng earth shattering- other car is a 2016 VW Golf Wagon fully loaded with lane keeping assist, self parking, radar cruise control (start-stop), front collision warning, rear cross traffic alert, blind spot...etc etc...my commnet for all here is this: Love my Model Y, but in terms of Autopiliot, and beta steering in city, am i missing something?...its just not that impressive. My Golf does very similar stuff in terms of lane keeping and radar cruise in stop and go traffic. Golf has excellent self-parking (would have to pay an absurd $10,800 here in Canada for FSD to get that on the Y. F=GOlf has blind spot monitoring with lighting in the sire mirrors, Tesla does not have this which is a MAJOR safety oversight IMO...sorry, looking at screen is not a substitute and is delayed and unrelianble anyway. Unless Im missing something, I feel that generally, Tesla owners are far to giddy about AUtopilot and FSD to be objective; or..., they are perhaps a little ignorant oof whats out there...my Golf is 4 years old...and not a luxury brand yet the tech is excellent....again, I love my Model Y but see its shortcomings and feel Autopilot/FSD is overhyped
Curious as to why you bought the Tesla....

Not familiar with VW Golf's technology. But I have always felt the same way about autopilot and FSD. I don't think it's worth the $10k extra for me to have something I will barely use. I had beta autopilot on my old S, drove it for 60k miles and barely used it in 4 years. Since you always have to keep your hand on the steering, I was completely satisfied with the manual steering cruise control. Hey if you have the $$$ go for it. I will wait for the monthly subscription to test out FSD, and see how I really feel about it then.

Autopilot is fine, nothng earth shattering . . . My Golf does very similar stuff in terms of lane keeping and radar cruise in stop and go traffic.

Note that the model 3 is $39,000 including autopilot on highways up to 90mph. The car can also come to complete stop and then continue with traffic.
- Does the VW cost $39K out the door with the radar cruise and lane assist?
- Does VW tech work at 90MPH?
- Does VW tech work for long periods with no driver input, or do you need to touch the wheel every 15 seconds? At low speeds Autopilot doesn't ask for input for a minute or two.
- Does VW tech work when the car stops completely, then resumes with traffic later with no driver input?

Fans love autopilot because the car comes with it standard, and it works well on highways in lots of situations.
Maybe the VW tech is affordable and works great, I don't really know. Let us know about it.
When it comes to FSD for $3K and eventually $10K now, you're right about various limitations, maybe the foundational rewrite that's in Beta right now will be a big improvement. Lots of Youtube videos with that.

• Note that the model 3 is $39,000 including autopilot on highways up to 90mph. The car can also come to complete stop and then continue with traffic.
- Does the VW cost $39K out the door with the radar cruise and lane assist?
VW is $33k out the door top spec

- Does VW tech work at 90MPH?
Yes

- Does VW tech work for long periods with no driver input, or do you need to touch the wheel every 15 seconds?

Lane assist is limited to above 60kph and needs hand input every 10-12 secs,

- Does VW tech work when the car stops completely, then resumes with traffic later with no driver input?
Yes, perfectly.

Fans love autopilot because the car comes with it standard, and it works well on highways in lots of situations.
Maybe the VW tech is affordable and works great, I don't really know. Let us know about it.
When it comes to FSD for $3K and eventually $10K now, you're right about various limitations, maybe the foundational rewrite that's in Beta right now will be a big improvement. Lots of Youtube videos with that.

To answer your VW tech questions:
The car was $36k Canadian (approx $26k USD).

Just FYI when I cancelled my LR RWD order the other day, I got my $2500 refund to my credit card in 2 days. Jan 8 cancel, Jan 9, phone discussion with Tesla Rep who tried to talk me out of it, Jan 10, money back to my card. Nice! Hope they eventually make a car like that - I would still buy one.

Just FYI when I cancelled my LR RWD order the other day, I got my $2500 refund to my credit card in 2 days. Jan 8 cancel, Jan 9, phone discussion with Tesla Rep who tried to talk me out of it, Jan 10, money back to my card. Nice! Hope they eventually make a car like that - I would still buy one.

Why would he try to talk you out of canceling an order for a car they don't plan to make? Was he steering you to AWD or SR?

Reactions: seangoggin
Why would he try to talk you out of canceling an order for a car they don't plan to make? Was he steering you to AWD or SR?

He was steering me to either. Offering for us to come in and test drive any model, buy an S, any MY, whatever, really wanted my business. I told him, sure, as soon as you make the LR RWD MY. Actually I am fine waiting a year or whatever for one that's 4680-based. I'm not really going anywhere these days anyway LOL.

Reactions: Dadiggaman
I still hope the LR RWD is possible this quarter.

Production will increase and the SR+ sales may not add enough sales in a traditional weak quarter ( for all car companies people are not keen on getting a car in the middle of winter and even more so if they are on lockdown).

I think they will wait at least a while before saying anything to clear existing inventory and see how the SR+ new sales are doing. I regularly drive by the SC on the local highway and the parking lot is almost cleared out from being packed in late December.

The sales guys will only know when the web site configurator is updated or VINs start popping up on delivery profiles.

Reactions: blissdancer
I enjoy driving. I think self driving wont be mainstreamed for years *legal(), so an incomplete FSD (hand on wheel) is not a solution at all. If I had a long daily freeway/heavy traffic commute then I would have a use for it and come to appreciate it.

Your last sentence is key to many....of us.

I don’t understand the “I love driving” argument. I love driving as well, and have the race car and past sports cars/sedans, but nobody in their right mind loves driving in a straight line and following the long curves on a highway or interstate. That $4it gets old.

I’ve experienced VW’s latest lane keeping tech - it’s nowhere near the same as Tesla’s Autopilot. It keeps you in the lane, but doesn’t drive itself in the lane.

The brand who has lane centering that’s actually pretty nice is Hyundai/Kia, which is surprisingly good.

I do not have FSD, nor do I believe it’s worth the price (even back when it was $5000). But autopilot is way ahead of other lane keeping or lane centering tech offerings from other auto manufacturers.

The golf can auto-change lanes/take exit ramps, recognize stop lights, and has the option of having future updates via over the air updates?

The golf can auto-change lanes/take exit ramps, recognize stop lights, and has the option of having future updates via over the air updates?

You are decribing FSD capabilities, not Autopilot. My point is that Autopilot is pretty good, but not headf and shoulders better from what is available on my 2016 Golf. Lane keeping Tesla wins, self parking VW wins, stop/go cruise control its pretty much a tie.

You are decribing FSD capabilities, not Autopilot. My point is that Autopilot is pretty good, but not headf and shoulders better from what is available on my 2016 Golf. Lane keeping Tesla wins, self parking VW wins, stop/go cruise control its pretty much a tie.

Autopilot's lane centering is the what separates it from everyone else. I can't fault you if your use type doesn't allow autopilot to shine, but you cannot dismiss the fact that autopilot is way ahead of other manufacturer's lane keeping tech.

It seems your use type allows auto-park in the VW to shine, and there's nothing wrong with that. For me, I purchased a Tesla strictly for the AP - my 70 mile round trip commute in traffic (pre-covid) became a breeze. Long trips became a breeze. Not sure I'd be able to say the same for any auto-park system.

Glad you're happy with your 2016 Golf. That's what matters.

2016 VW Golf Wagon fully loaded with... radar cruise control (start-stop), front collision warning
This is not the same as the Tesla Autopilot, you should compare similar technologies, the 2016 VW don't have cameras.

I drove such VW, there is a "smart" radar cruise control who can adjusts your speed and distance when following an other car,
but I remember when the car in front of me suddenly was out of sight because of a curve, the VW started to accelerate in middle of a curve !!!

... front collision warning, rear cross traffic alert...
but the Tesla Autopilot eventually can stop, or accelerate, your car to avoid a collision, faster and safer than you would do after getting an alert.

A possible better comparison could be the system used by Subaru where there are two front cameras about two feet away from each other.
I wonder if this additional stereoscopic capability could help to better detect and appreciate the distance of non moving objects
which seems an issue for the Tesla autopilot.

Last edited:
Well it would be great if that’s what they meant but who knows.
They just migrated my LR RWD Model Y order to AWD while keeping original FSD sticker price. But something is fishy! They didn’t tell me before they changed my order and they placed the AWD at 51k when it’s currently 49,990. Anyone else have this happen and given Tesla has no ethics when it comes to customer service... I suspect they will release the LR RWD later but are attempting to force reservation holders out of their orders.

They just migrated my LR RWD Model Y order to AWD while keeping original FSD sticker price. But something is fishy! They didn’t tell me before they changed my order and they placed the AWD at 51k when it’s currently 49,990. Anyone else have this happen and given Tesla has no ethics when it comes to customer service... I suspect they will release the LR RWD later but are attempting to force reservation holders out of their orders.
I don't know that their 'ethics' are any worse than any other car manufacturer but given your screen name I'm thinking that you are inclined to be negative towards them.