Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Long Range Rear Wheel Drive (LR RWD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In response to someone’s question about whether lr rwd would be made, the ceo tweeted “we have too much product complexity already.” Wonder if that’s the proverbial nail in the coffin, or if that still leaves the door open for the lr rwd being made in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_0860.jpg
    IMG_0860.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 83
In response to someone’s question about whether lr rwd would be made, the ceo tweeted “we have too much product complexity already.” Wonder if that’s the proverbial nail in the coffin, or if that still leaves the door open for the lr rwd being made in the future.
Because a RWD Y makes so much sense, I still believe it will be available at least when Austin Y and battery production have ramped.

For those that are waiting for Tesla to offer a Long Range RWD Model Y there may be an explanation for why Tesla prefers a dual motor setup in their vehicles in this article from Green Car Reports from 2014. Tesla Model S Dual-Motor Is Quicker, Has Higher Range Too: How Do They Do That? (UPDATED)

When discussing the then new Model S D AWD system Elon Musk was quoted as stating "Because we have two drive units, where we can shift the power from front to rear, and constantly be at the optimal efficiency point for each motor," Musk said, "we're actually able to overcome the penalty of the increased mass of the motor."

Later he elaborated for Bloomberg News: "We're able to balance the efficiency of the motors....If you have just one motor, it's always on a particular power-vs-efficiency curve."

"But if you have two motors, you can optimize between them, and have the motors operate in their more efficient regime more of the time."

Because a RWD Y makes so much sense, I still believe it will be available at least when Austin Y and battery production have ramped.

No

He is saying we will not make the Model Y RWD.

It is easy to read what we hope in what he said, but I do not think that is a reasonable take that Model Y RWD is on the table. I think he did not want to break the commitment and so has been avoiding stating it is dead. He wants the sales force to reach out, but that is occurring in a hazard fashion since they are more concerned about incoming sales and the looming end of the quarter.

Reactions: blissdancer
No

He is saying we will not make the Model Y RWD.

It is easy to read what we hope in what he said, but I do not think that is a reasonable take that Model Y RWD is on the table. I think he did not want to break the commitment and so has been avoiding stating it is dead. He wants the sales force to reach out, but that is occurring in a hazard fashion since they are more concerned about incoming sales and the looming end of the quarter.
His comment does not mean Tesla will never make the Y LR RWD. They want people to buy what they currently offer. Previously he said Tesla wouldn't refresh the S. Same reason. He wanted people to buy what they had to sell at the time.

Thank you to everyone on this forum for adding their insight and any additional information they receive from Tesla. Has anyone received any information regarding Tesla's decision to stop the model Y RWD SD production? Apparently it is no longer available to order on the website?

Anyone getting calls about switching to another model other than the LR RWD? I got an email from the Northern VA dealership in Feb, I am located in Richmond so it was a little weird since I am in contact with the Richmond dealership. Anyway, she stated they are running a promotion for Feb and March allowing us to keep our FSD price and switch to another model at todays price. After some emails back and forth and feeling her out, my assumption was this "promotion" was just a sales pitch...I asked her for some solid information regarding the promotion from corporate Tesla since we haven't heard anything regarding this promotion nor from the Richmond dealership and she went silent. Curious about others thoughts or experiences in regard to this.....

Anyone getting calls about switching to another model other than the LR RWD? I got an email from the Northern VA dealership in Feb, I am located in Richmond so it was a little weird since I am in contact with the Richmond dealership. Anyway, she stated they are running a promotion for Feb and March allowing us to keep our FSD price and switch to another model at todays price. After some emails back and forth and feeling her out, my assumption was this "promotion" was just a sales pitch...I asked her for some solid information regarding the promotion from corporate Tesla since we haven't heard anything regarding this promotion nor from the Richmond dealership and she went silent. Curious about others thoughts or experiences in regard to this.....

well I was going to convert to AWD but since they raised the price $1000 last night I am less likely to convert, I am waiting on the new headlights, I probably should have converted and put my order on hold