Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Long Range - which headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the headlights on my MY are "striated". half a dozen horizontal bands of light, which a slight gap between each, which appear on the hedgerows / trees ahead (on full beam). They "swing up" when changing from dim to full beam too. I find that a bit distracting.

Didn't have that on my (2020) M3 - maybe that was an earlier generation of headlights? Or maybe the higher driving position is what makes it noticeable? Might just be me though?

Mine does - identical to my Model 3 matrix headlights.
Does the M3 really have matrix headlights? They have (crap) auto headlights and possibly adaptive headlights but this isn’t the same thing. Matrix headlights have the ability to dim individual diodes in the light fixture while the rest remain on high beam, meaning that an oncoming car isn’t dazzled but everything else remains lit up. I see no evidence the M3 has this. My September 2021 M3P certainly hasn’t.

Does the M3 really have matrix headlights? They have (crap) auto headlights and possibly adaptive headlights but this isn’t the same thing. Matrix headlights have the ability to dim individual diodes in the light fixture while the rest remain on high beam, meaning that an oncoming car isn’t dazzled but everything else remains lit up. I see no evidence the M3 has this. My September 2021 M3P certainly hasn’t.
They have the matrix hardware but it isn’t enabled

I would say it's not clear if they have sufficient sensor resolution to do localised dimming. They are a matrix that can be controlled, but Tesla really call them the 'global headlights' as they can use software to provide the appropriate beam pattern rather than having separate LHD and RHD lights. The matrix removes a production complexity.

I don't recall ever seeing a suggestion from Tesla that they intend to have local dimming. Everyone is speculating that as this capability recently became legal in the US (it was banned) that Tesla will add it in an over-the-air update. It's technically possible, I just don't recall ever seeing it confirmed.

I would say it's not clear if they have sufficient sensor resolution to do localised dimming. They are a matrix that can be controlled, but Tesla really call them the 'global headlights' as they can use software to provide the appropriate beam pattern rather than having separate LHD and RHD lights. The matrix removes a production complexity.

I don't recall ever seeing a suggestion from Tesla that they intend to have local dimming. Everyone is speculating that as this capability recently became legal in the US (it was banned) that Tesla will add it in an over-the-air update. It's technically possible, I just don't recall ever seeing it confirmed.

They have Hella/Samsung 100 pixel units. Not massive resolution compared to the latest Audi ones that you can play video games with(!) but should be enough for basic matrix support

this shoudl be at the start of tearing down the Matrix part - also 15:30 to see the board/LED chip too:

Screenshot 2022-03-22 at 16.00.29.png

edit: hmm could be more a 'global' unit to meet all standards via software Technology & Products / 10.03.2020 HELLA gets innovative world headlamp for global premium manufacturer on the road | HELLA but the current doesn't even change left/right when you go abroad so definitely needs software updating

Last edited:
They have Hella/Samsung 100 pixel units. Not massive resolution compared to the latest Audi ones that you can play video games with(!) but should be enough for basic matrix support

this shoudl be at the start of tearing down the Matrix part - also 15:30 to see the board/LED chip too:

View attachment 784430

edit: hmm could be more a 'global' unit to meet all standards via software Technology & Products / 10.03.2020 HELLA gets innovative world headlamp for global premium manufacturer on the road | HELLA but the current doesn't even change left/right when you go abroad so definitely needs software updating
The light has pixels, but in order to control them a forward facing camera would need to be calibrated and of sufficient resolution to decide which pixels should be on and off. Other manufacturers will have cameras that were designed for this purpose, I'm less sure whether Tesla's AP cameras would be fully suitable, and if that would impact the other service that use the camera feed (AutoPilot).

The light has pixels, but in order to control them a forward facing camera would need to be calibrated and of sufficient resolution to decide which pixels should be on and off. Other manufacturers will have cameras that were designed for this purpose, I'm less sure whether Tesla's AP cameras would be fully suitable, and if that would impact the other service that use the camera feed (AutoPilot).

I honestly don't know the answer, but I really would hope that cameras good enough to drive themselves among traffic are as good or better than one solely designed to handle lights.

Reactions: xnetco