Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Longest Cargo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity, has anyone measured what the longest possible cargo length would be in a Model Y? I have a Model S and have been toying with replacing it with a Model Y. The Model S can fit a 10' board, pipe, etc. inside with all the doors and windows closed. It would be nice if this was also possible with the Y, since 10' is a pretty common length for home improvement stuff.

Thanks!

42" to upright rear seats
78" to the edge of seats laid down.
Probably longer between the front seats if you have no fear about a broken display

Tesla Model Y Interior, Trunk, Trunk Well, Frunk and Other Measurements

This isn't quite what I'm looking for. I'm more curious what the measurement would be from where the base of the windshield meets the dashboard, to the opposite rear corner of the hatch. There have been a few times where I've needed to lay a towel down on the dash, wrap the front end of the cargo in a towel, then lay it so it runs between the two front seats, through to the very rear of the car on the opposite side. This is super useful for getting like $5, 10' PVC pipes home for plumbing projects, or I even brought home a 10' bundle of EMT conduit for installing my Tesla Wall Connectors.

Reactions: Stephen Wilcox
This isn't quite what I'm looking for. I'm more curious what the measurement would be from where the base of the windshield meets the dashboard, to the opposite rear corner of the hatch. There have been a few times where I've needed to lay a towel down on the dash, wrap the front end of the cargo in a towel, then lay it so it runs between the two front seats, through to the very rear of the car on the opposite side.

Measurement is slightly over 11 feet depending on the width of the product you’re transporting. PVC or conduit would work just fine.

Attachments

• ACC30B3F-F10A-4676-BEF5-C2150F234F36.jpeg
    ACC30B3F-F10A-4676-BEF5-C2150F234F36.jpeg
    789.2 KB · Views: 958
  • AE630EB6-F8B1-498B-A5DD-A7030CAEFD16.jpeg
    AE630EB6-F8B1-498B-A5DD-A7030CAEFD16.jpeg
    620.5 KB · Views: 788
I had a 10 foot section of 4" PVC pipe in Y with windows up and hatch closed.

I had a 12 foot 2x4 in Y with windows up and hatch closed ... and back window busted out !

just kidding of course, but two things come to mind for this admittedly old thread

(1) Who uses ten foot in regular home improvement?
(2) I go to home depot a lot and know that even though I promise to look after this car, I also promised to look after the Prius V, yet it's slowly turning into a work truck, so to compensate, I ordered the Y with the tow hitch option. I figured that'd be a good way to take large, long or dirty loads without tearing up the interior

What did you do in the end?

I need to carry a tandem bicycle which seats 2 adults to/from home to park over 10 expressway miles. Don't want to disassemble/reassemble. Currently fits perfectly while standing inside my Honda Odyssey and all doors and hatch closed; 3rd row folded down, passes between 2 captain chairs in 2nd row and ends just behind center tray between front row seats. Would either Model Y or Model X be able to meet this requirement? Maximum dimensions of bicycle:: L: 7ft 10inch; H: 3ft 6inch; W:25inch

I need to carry a tandem bicycle which seats 2 adults to/from home to park over 10 expressway miles. Don't want to disassemble/reassemble. Currently fits perfectly while standing inside my Honda Odyssey and all doors and hatch closed; 3rd row folded down, passes between 2 captain chairs in 2nd row and ends just behind center tray between front row seats. Would either Model Y or Model X be able to meet this requirement? Maximum dimensions of bicycle:: L: 7ft 10inch; H: 3ft 6inch; W:25inch
Appreciate ANY guidance on this question. I would like to replace Odyssey with a Model Y but this particular usecase (carry the tandem bike without disassembling to park and back) is keeping me from decision. I'm okay even if the back hatch has to stay open - its only a short distance and there's alternate (inner roads) too if needed.

Appreciate ANY guidance on this question. I would like to replace Odyssey with a Model Y but this particular usecase (carry the tandem bike without disassembling to park and back) is keeping me from decision. I'm okay even if the back hatch has to stay open - its only a short distance and there's alternate (inner roads) too if needed.
You've really been mulling this over for a year and a half?! Given your specific requirements, why not just rent one or schedule a demo drive with your tandem?

Would a tow hitch/bike rack option work?