Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y low speed pedestrian safety sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a Model Y since February and it has run silently in all situations since then. However, yesterday as I parked the car when I got home it started making that “low speed pedestrian safety sound” (aka woooooo) when reversing. Only when reversing not when moving forward. There has been no change to the car, that I’m aware of, for at least a couple of weeks (it’s running software 2022.12.3.2) so I have no idea why the sound has just started.

I appreciate that this is a ‘feature’ not a ‘bug’ but I didn’t think that it was in use in the UK — the Tesla UK owners manual doesn’t mention it. Is this now a ‘thing’? I can’t find any discussion of it in the forum.

As I understand it it's law that all cars type approved after a certain date have to have it, and the Model Y falls into that bracket. Mine has had it from collection 6 weeks ago when reversing. It first appeared on the Model 3 a while back.

If anything, I'd surprised there isn't more noise going forwards at low speed

Reactions: drewpost
It is a legal requirement in the UK to have sound produced when reversing or going forward. Tesla use different noises, the forward one is perhaps less like a UFO. If your windows closed you aren't likely to hear it.

Thank god for PWS, I'm so concerned (sleepless nights) at the amount of people that are being run over by electric vehicles silently creeping up on them, the news is full of incidents, and I completely agree with the highway code in that pedestrians don't have to take any responsibility for their own safety when wandering about around moving vehicles - or indeed just wanting to cross the road - just walk out - safe in the knowledge the drivers will just stop - and if they don't then a few weeks off work sunbathing, sorry recovering', and the compensation paid by insurance will more than make up for your suffering and your increased use of energy whilst at home - (after the ambulance chasers have contacted you you can get months off for your life changing incident.). Always thought the Green Cross man was a bit crass and irrelevant - just seemed such stupid advice to look left, right and left again (or was that right, left and right again) before stepping out onto the road. And one last thing - always check your PWS is working because even those car wash guys seem to knock the wire off the speaker just inside the offside wheel arch liner, after taking out just two plastic clips and pulling the liner forward. What is the world coming to?

Thank god for PWS, I'm so concerned (sleepless nights) at the amount of people that are being run over by electric vehicles silently creeping up on them, the news is full of incidents, and I completely agree with the highway code in that pedestrians don't have to take any responsibility for their own safety when wandering about around moving vehicles - or indeed just wanting to cross the road - just walk out - safe in the knowledge the drivers will just stop - and if they don't then a few weeks off work sunbathing, sorry recovering', and the compensation paid by insurance will more than make up for your suffering and your increased use of energy whilst at home - (after the ambulance chasers have contacted you you can get months off for your life changing incident.). Always thought the Green Cross man was a bit crass and irrelevant - just seemed such stupid advice to look left, right and left again (or was that right, left and right again) before stepping out onto the road. And one last thing - always check your PWS is working because even those car wash guys seem to knock the wire off the speaker just inside the offside wheel arch liner, after taking out just two plastic clips and pulling the liner forward. What is the world coming to?
Yeah, well that or they are blind, so relying on sounds to know you are there at low speeds. It was RNIB who lobbied most for this change.

Oh dear. My 2013 Renault Zoe makes these daft noises, but luckily there's a (physical!) button on the dashboard to turn it off, which gets pressed immediately after starting the car on every single journey.

I was really rather hoping that it was turn-off-able on the newer European Teslas.

I understand that we need to take care of people with visual impairments and cognitive disabilities. I don't think anyone from the RNIB or similar actually tried standing next to a 2,400kg car as it drives past to see if it made any noise. I challenge the Internet at large to find anything that weighs 2,400kg and can move inaudibly, and if they do so, consider selling it to the military.

Oh dear. My 2013 Renault Zoe makes these daft noises, but luckily there's a (physical!) button on the dashboard to turn it off, which gets pressed immediately after starting the car on every single journey.

I was really rather hoping that it was turn-off-able on the newer European Teslas.

I understand that we need to take care of people with visual impairments and cognitive disabilities. I don't think anyone from the RNIB or similar actually tried standing next to a 2,400kg car as it drives past to see if it made any noise. I challenge the Internet at large to find anything that weighs 2,400kg and can move inaudibly, and if they do so, consider selling it to the military.
Sometimes they aren't moving, but are about to start after you walk behind them in a car park. ICE cars indicate being in this state audibly.

Plenty of people seem to not be able to hear my Model 3 at low speeds, so I've no idea what you are talking about.

Reactions: init6 and ben_c
Sometimes they aren't moving, but are about to start after you walk behind them in a car park. ICE cars indicate being in this state audibly.

That's a fair point. I'd suggest that such a time is also when the driver is most aware, the car will be slowest, and the impact of any mistake is lowest.

Plenty of people seem to not be able to hear my Model 3 at low speeds, so I've no idea what you are talking about.

I don't think my Model X has been able to sneak up on anyone in the five years I've owned it. Maybe the 3/Y are quieter.

Is the sound really an issue?! Anything that makes something safer is a good thing right? Even if if prevents one accident. It sounds cool anyway.

Perhaps I'm in the minority on this one in that I think it sounds a bit goofy.

To make an ad absurdum counterpoint, would it be a good thing if it prevented one accident but made the most annoying noise possible? And then to wind it back from that far end of the spectrum, there's going to be a point where annoyingness of the noise is a subjective issue, and some people will like it more than others.

My experience has been that in nine years of EV-exclusive driving, the quietness of the cars has never been a safety issue. Combined with my opinion that the sound is suboptimal, that probably explains why I'm not a fan. I can see that others have different beliefs about the risks, and different tastes when it comes to the noises.

It'd be great if Tesla had a few different sounds to choose from, or if they could be customised. I'm pretty sure my Renault Zoe has a choice of three (as well as the ability to turn it off on each journey).

Reactions: Wol747

I’d agree except for the fact that a modern small engined ICE is almost inaudible at the same speeds EVs are expected to make noise, and are certainly a great deal quieter than the UFO sound from the PWS.

Why don’t ICE cars have a minimum noise requirement at car park speeds?

Reactions: Mrklaw
Perhaps I'm in the minority on this one in that I think it sounds a bit goofy.

To make an ad absurdum counterpoint, would it be a good thing if it prevented one accident but made the most annoying noise possible? And then to wind it back from that far end of the spectrum, there's going to be a point where annoyingness of the noise is a subjective issue, and some people will like it more than others.

My experience has been that in nine years of EV-exclusive driving, the quietness of the cars has never been a safety issue. Combined with my opinion that the sound is suboptimal, that probably explains why I'm not a fan. I can see that others have different beliefs about the risks, and different tastes when it comes to the noises.

It'd be great if Tesla had a few different sounds to choose from, or if they could be customised. I'm pretty sure my Renault Zoe has a choice of three (as well as the ability to turn it off on each journey).
If you are capable of being annoyed by the AVAS sounds to a degree where you don't care about the concerns of those extremists in the RNIB and the fascist Guide Dogs Association then stick to your guns. Do you also find wheelchair ramps an unacceptable eyesore? Petition against disabled spaces and ban those sign language interpreters at press conferences?

No body likes the sounds, just most have a small ability to empathise with the concerns of others.

the background noise in a busy car park is often plenty to mask the noise of an idling car about to pull out. Also modern exhausts are fairly clean so you can’t easily see either. Most of the time in a car park my attention is brought by the reversing lights or seeing someone in a car. I’m always paying attentoin any time I’m walking in front, and particularly behind, parked cars as I assume the drivers aren’t paying attention

I assume tests were done because if not, I wish some modern ICE cars had PWS installed too for low speed car park etc manouevring

pretty sure my M3 only does the UFO sound in reverse not going forwards. Or its much louder in reverse. I like the sound

the background noise in a busy car park is often plenty to mask the noise of an idling car about to pull out. Also modern exhausts are fairly clean so you can’t easily see either. Most of the time in a car park my attention is brought by the reversing lights or seeing someone in a car. I’m always paying attentoin any time I’m walking in front, and particularly behind, parked cars as I assume the drivers aren’t paying attention

I assume tests were done because if not, I wish some modern ICE cars had PWS installed too for low speed car park etc manouevring

pretty sure my M3 only does the UFO sound in reverse not going forwards. Or its much louder in reverse. I like the sound
How about trying to walk across a car park with your eyes closed once, and see how much you rely on noise ? I think you are agreeing that it would be pretty scary, and therefore perhaps it's no wonder that RNIB and GuideDogs lobbied the EU to make noise a requirement.

Tesla in the UK make the UFO noise in reverse, and a different kinda white noise in forward. In the US you used to be able to pick a noise, but I think I remember reading that their regular had required that to be changed.

How about trying to walk across a car park with your eyes closed once, and see how much you rely on noise ? I think you are agreeing that it would be pretty scary, and therefore perhaps it's no wonder that RNIB and GuideDogs lobbied the EU to make noise a requirement.

Tesla in the UK make the UFO noise in reverse, and a different kinda white noise in forward. In the US you used to be able to pick a noise, but I think I remember reading that their regular had required that to be changed.

I think I kind of am agreeing yes :) but rather than disagree EVs need a sound, I think ICE need a sound too as modern ones are so quiet