Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR - 100% charge - how many miles does your screen show ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine shows 100% 🤓 ... the standard advice is to use percent, not miles. If you need a rough calculation for range then percentage x 3 miles will do.

Better still put destination into SatNav and see what the Consumption Graph (on the TRIP tab) shows for arrival SoC (and that will adjust, as you drive, depending on consumption . conditions etc)

Reactions: house9
My Standard range 3 2019 is down to 222-227

If you are looking for battery degradation then TeslaFi will do that - but you would have to have been using that since new.

BatteryDegredation.gif

Reactions: house9
Battery degradation and what the miles show are two completely different things. Battery will always give nominal 100% SoC for a 'full' battery, even if BMS thinks that battery is not 100% of what it use to be, although the app/car will show the usable battery which due to other reasons such as cold, may not be 100%. To see nominal battery SoC, you need to go looking elsewhere, such as TeslaFi, TeslaMate, OBD scanner etc.

What the miles show is a EPA range calculation (very different [lower] from WLTP as marketed in the UK) a best guess approximation of what the BMS thinks is the then current CAC (calculated amp hour capacity) of the battery, a soft estimate that can vary up and down over time and conditions and even be reset back to 'new' (blue below, vs yellow fleet) - at which point the BMS will then go about working out its best guess which may be vastly different from its previous best guess prior to the CAC being reset.

1647679259807.png

OMG I just want to know what the battery shows to begin with - 330 miles ? 320 ? 310 ? I understand as an owner of 3 years you don’t get the full mileage unless u drive at 20 MPH !

I don't understand why you are getting a lecture either, your question was quite simple.

For example... This figure is needed to help workout what constant Tesla uses for its calculation, which would show if there is any software lock on battery capacity here. This did happen before on the early 2021 model M3. So it does have use to know, regardless of the "how useful everyday" debate.

I just want to know what the battery shows to begin with - 330 miles ? 320 ? 310 ?

OK, just not sure what benefit it is and whether it is constant between different cars, even if brand new.

I have only charged to 90% (and I don't know if 100% charge would be the same as pro rata from 90%) but based on a few 90% charges over a couple of weeks my estimated range (pro rata'd to 100%) has varied from 319.6 to 324.7 ...

Didn't mean to be rude, just trying to understand the reason why the O/P is asking as the value is not constant, and I'm not sure comparable with other cars either.

I totally understand. Context would have helped lots.

Before the cars hit their degradation threshold (there is a bit of buffer to soak up early capacity) loss, the value usually isn't wildly different apart from environmental factors (temperature). Being all in the UK mitigates on average the temperature issues.

So gathering data on brand new cars is the best time.

Obviously, I don't know the O/P's reasoning, but I thought I'd add some context as to why it is useful to ask now.

I remember this exact same debate when the 2021 M3 came out, but it did prove the early UK cars had a soft lock on those with Panasonic batteries. Tesla have been known to use the WLTP Vs EPA difference to be sneaky with battery capacity.

A screen shot of the energy usage screen is really useful too.

First 4 charges M3 LR (Feb 2020 to 90%, pro-rata'd to 100%) were 308.5 - 309.5 miles

Last 4 charges, in Jan-2022, to 90% , pro-rata'd to 100%, (at 10K Miles) were 292.8 - 295.5 No two exactly the same (data point: each of whose was on a different firmware version!)

I'm still not sure that using Estimated Range as a baseline / comparison is apples-and-apples.

Remember, only a 100% charge is the rated (e.g. EPA) range. A pro-rata calculation isn't.

As per the manual. I agree the variable one is somewhat meaningless.

Tesla increase the lower end battery buffer as charge level decreases, it's not constant.

Last edited:
First 4 charges M3 LR (Feb 2020 to 90%, pro-rata'd to 100%) were 308.5 - 309.5 miles

Last 4 charges, in Jan-2022, to 90% , pro-rata'd to 100%, (at 10K Miles) were 292.8 - 295.5 No two exactly the same (data point: each of whose was on a different firmware version!)

I'm still not sure that using Estimated Range as a baseline / comparison is apples-and-apples.
November 2019 LR here pretty much identical to you.