Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR 20” OEM tire - winter performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,

I just took delivery of my 2022 Model Y long-range w/ 20” induction wheels (255/40-20 tire size). I’m wondering if anyone has experience with the OEM tires (Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 M+S) in winter conditions?

I live in the Washington, DC metro area, which usually doesn’t get awful winters, but regularly has at least light snow with occasional ice — plowing isn’t great where I am though, so even relatively low amounts of snowfall can also end up packed down on roads.

I’m considering replacing the OEM tires with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (I’m accustomed to having to replace OEM tires on my cars with better UHP All-Season tires), but I’m worried I might be jumping the gun. Anyone have experience driving the 20” OEM Eagle F1 tires in light to moderate snow? How are they?

Thanks!

Greetings! I see no one has responded so I'll weigh in. I have the same original F1's on my MY and while I haven't driven in snow with them (thank God!) I've read here that they're pretty poor for winter. I have just over 15K on mine and am leaning towards the PS AS4's too for replacements.

Good luck! Maybe this will help shake a few responses from people with actual experience... :)

I’ve had a LR Y with OEM 20” tires for almost a year. Not much snow last year but I took it out in the 2 snows we had in the DMV. They’re not great. Probably ok around here for a year or so, just be careful. It’s significantly worse than my previous Audi with really good all seasons.

I really want the Vredestein Quatrack Pros in 255/40R20 for my Induction wheels. Vredestein lists them on their website, but I can’t find anyone in the US or Canada who has them in that size. I just can’t understand why they’re not available anywhere. I like the Vredestein Wintracs too, but I’d have to swap them out seasonally, since I don’t want to run winter tires all year ‘round. I’m coming from a Subaru Forester XT with all season tires, and I never gave any depth of snow a second thought. With the OEM Goodyears on my Induction wheels, I have a strong feeling I won’t have the same New York winter experience in my MYLR as I did in the Subaru. 😟

I live in WI and have had my Model Y for a year. The stock Goodyear's are trash in winter weather. They are pseudo all season tires IMO. I ended up purchasing 18" rims and Blizzaks for winter and now it is fantastic. All I wish I had is the ability to turn down regen braking (aka a proper "snow mode").

Reactions: gt2690b
Just got about 3 inches in Chicago today. Was driving and wow was it bad. I was sliding all over the place even at low speeds. My old Subaru did much better even with all season tires. I'm going to look at replacing these things - too dangerous.

We've had a worse than normal winter here as far as sleet ice and snow goes in the St.louis, MO area. I think our winters are simialr to the DC area overall in terms of bad weather? I can say the stock goodyears on the 20's got me through unscathed, but it definitly could be better. I dont think I'd rush out to replace them with winter tires however I will probably not replace them with the same when the time comes. There are definitly better performing all seasons out there.