Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR 20” OEM tire - winter performance?

Hey folks,

I just took delivery of my 2022 Model Y long-range w/ 20” induction wheels (255/40-20 tire size). I’m wondering if anyone has experience with the OEM tires (Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 M+S) in winter conditions?

I live in the Washington, DC metro area, which usually doesn’t get awful winters, but regularly has at least light snow with occasional ice — plowing isn’t great where I am though, so even relatively low amounts of snowfall can also end up packed down on roads.

I’m considering replacing the OEM tires with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (I’m accustomed to having to replace OEM tires on my cars with better UHP All-Season tires), but I’m worried I might be jumping the gun. Anyone have experience driving the 20” OEM Eagle F1 tires in light to moderate snow? How are they?

Thanks!

Dennisis

Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2020
Tucson
Greetings! I see no one has responded so I'll weigh in. I have the same original F1's on my MY and while I haven't driven in snow with them (thank God!) I've read here that they're pretty poor for winter. I have just over 15K on mine and am leaning towards the PS AS4's too for replacements.

Good luck! Maybe this will help shake a few responses from people with actual experience... :)

tmuth

Dec 8, 2021
Potomac, MD
I’ve had a LR Y with OEM 20” tires for almost a year. Not much snow last year but I took it out in the 2 snows we had in the DMV. They’re not great. Probably ok around here for a year or so, just be careful. It’s significantly worse than my previous Audi with really good all seasons.

ScottNY

Feb 27, 2021
New York
I really want the Vredestein Quatrack Pros in 255/40R20 for my Induction wheels. Vredestein lists them on their website, but I can’t find anyone in the US or Canada who has them in that size. I just can’t understand why they’re not available anywhere. I like the Vredestein Wintracs too, but I’d have to swap them out seasonally, since I don’t want to run winter tires all year ‘round. I’m coming from a Subaru Forester XT with all season tires, and I never gave any depth of snow a second thought. With the OEM Goodyears on my Induction wheels, I have a strong feeling I won’t have the same New York winter experience in my MYLR as I did in the Subaru. 😟

I live in WI and have had my Model Y for a year. The stock Goodyear's are trash in winter weather. They are pseudo all season tires IMO. I ended up purchasing 18" rims and Blizzaks for winter and now it is fantastic. All I wish I had is the ability to turn down regen braking (aka a proper "snow mode").

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC