Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove the MY LR 7 Seater earlier, and now I've just finished an overnight test drive of the MYP! I drove around casually but also tried to push the car to see how it might do in more performance oriented driving, as I typically take my car to the track 1-2 times a year.

My thoughts:
  • Power/Acceleration: The LR's acceleration seems deliberately tuned to be more gentle, as opposed to the intense power delivery in the MYP that kind of slams your head back into the seat. The MYP definitely seemed more fun in that regard. Sometimes the strong acceleration can even feel too much haha 😅I'm guessing acceleration boost changes the power delivery in the LR to be a bit more like the MYP.
    • Extra note: I tried turning chill mode on in the MYP and it felt just like the standard mode in the LR.
  • Suspension:There was an uncomfortable amount of body roll in the LR when cornering hard for me, and the feedback from the car's chassis felt delayed or dull. The LR definitely didn't seem that suited to spirited/intense driving IMO. On the other hand the suspension/chassis feedback from the MYP felt great! The feedback seemed direct and more predictable, I think it would do fine on the track for a casual track goer like me. Based on what I've been reading I'm guessing that getting the Unplugged or MPP springs or coilovers would help in both cases.
    • I don't know what it is, but for some reason the MYP felt especially uncomfortable over bumpy roads. I have a car with fairly firm suspension at the moment (Golf R MK7), but the MYP felt even more uncomfortable than that o_O
  • Both cars are heavy and you can definitely feel it when driving hard! The Model 3 felt light in comparison, even though it's not that light either haha.

Overall the MYP was considerably better than the LR under hard driving, but I suspect that getting the acceleration boost + doing some suspension work could mitigate many of the LR's shortcomings in this realm. Of course, this would be extra $ and the price would surpass the MYP slightly - but you get 7 seats! The achilles heel of the LR + accel boost + suspension work might be the always-on traction control though, since the MYP is supposedly going to get track mode at some point.

Yes, I know that a Model 3 might be better for the track, but I was just testing the Model Ys out to see how they might do on the track since I really want the 7 seats.

Wow, this is very interesting for me, thanks for the post.

My thoughts:
  • Power/Acceleration: The LR's acceleration seems deliberately tuned to be more gentle, as opposed to the intense power delivery in the MYP that kind of slams your head back into the seat. The MYP definitely seemed more fun in that regard. Sometimes the strong acceleration can even feel too much haha 😅I'm guessing acceleration boost changes the power delivery in the LR to be a bit more like the MYP.
    • Extra note: I tried turning chill mode on in the MYP and it felt just like the standard mode in the LR.

OK, that's a very good landmark. LR chill → LR standard = P chill → LR + acc boost = ?? → P.

• Suspension:There was an uncomfortable amount of body roll in the LR when cornering hard for me, and the feedback from the car's chassis felt delayed or dull. The LR definitely didn't seem that suited to spirited/intense driving IMO. On the other hand the suspension/chassis feedback from the MYP felt great!
One has to wonder what makes the chassis better behaved in the MP. Maybe the extra seats you had in the LR made it even worse in response? (Than a 5-seater LR, I mean).
  • The feedback seemed direct and more predictable, I think it would do fine on the track for a casual track goer like me. Based on what I've been reading I'm guessing that getting the Unplugged or MPP springs or coilovers would help in both cases.
    • I don't know what it is, but for some reason the MYP felt especially uncomfortable over bumpy roads. I have a car with fairly firm suspension at the moment (Golf R MK7), but the MYP felt even more uncomfortable than that o_O

Sorry for simplifying, but isn't this "just" the 21" wheels versus whatever there was on the LR? What were they, by the way?

• Both cars are heavy and you can definitely feel it when driving hard! The Model 3 felt light in comparison, even though it's not that light either haha.
That is interesting indeed.

Thanks!

One has to wonder what makes the chassis better behaved in the MP. Maybe the extra seats you had in the LR made it even worse in response? (Than a 5-seater LR, I mean).
Maybe the sway bars are different between the LR and the P? But yeah, I totally forgot to factor in the wheels (and tires) as factors! Perhaps switching the LR to a summer tire e.g Pilot Sport 4S's would help as well. I would think/hope that the seats aren't too heavy relative to the already high curb weight of the Model Y - I would guess that their influence isn't too large.

I don't know what it is, but for some reason the MYP felt especially uncomfortable over bumpy roads. I have a car with fairly firm suspension at the moment (Golf R MK7), but the MYP felt even more uncomfortable than that o_O
According to Jesse at Mountain Pass Performance, the MYP rides on fully-compressed springs so the bump rubbers transmit road irregularities directly to the chassis with very little damping. Could this explain what you felt?

Reactions: LoafPork
I'm feeling the body roll on my LR more and more these days. I don't think it's uncomfortable as I know it won't tip. The car will slide when coming in hot and it's completely in control. I'm looking forward to replacing my OEM tires.

• Suspension:There was an uncomfortable amount of body roll in the LR when cornering hard for me, and the feedback from the car's chassis felt delayed or dull. The LR definitely didn't seem that suited to spirited/intense driving IMO. On the other hand the suspension/chassis feedback from the MYP felt great! The feedback seemed direct and more predictable, I think it would do fine on the track for a casual track goer like me. Based on what I've been reading I'm guessing that getting the Unplugged or MPP springs or coilovers would help in both cases.

According to Jesse at Mountain Pass Performance, the MYP rides on fully-compressed springs so the bump rubbers transmit road irregularities directly to the chassis with very little damping. Could this explain what you felt?
Possibly! But I can't confirm - it kind of felt like the bumps were being dampened but in an uncomfortable way?

I'm feeling the body roll on my LR more and more these days. I don't think it's uncomfortable as I know it won't tip. The car will slide when coming in hot and it's completely in control. I'm looking forward to replacing my OEM tires.
Yeah I think the Model Y's probability of rollover is actually lower than my Golf R 😅

Which wheels are we talking about on the LR? Test driving both, I noticed a big difference on turn-in between the Gemini tire setup and the Induction setup.
Darn... I don't remember and I didn't take pics :s

how was the LR suspension compared to teh Golf R
The Golf R's suspension gives direct feedback without any uncomfortable body roll, it's fairly firm. The LR kind of had delayed feedback and a lot of body roll for me.

Can you give more details here? I'm curious as I'm still torn between the two (I have enough time to think about it though, Y not yet available in Europe).
Each wheel comes with different tires. The Geminis have the Conti ProContact tires, the Inductions come with GY Eagle F1 5 tires. Looking at Tire Rack, they classify the Contis as Grand Touring tires, and the Goodyears as Ultra High Performance all seasons. Plus the larger wheel difference, clearly.

I drove the LR with Geminis, the LR with Inductions, and the Performance back to back to back. In terms of ride/handling, I thought the LR with Inductions was a great compromise. You get a little better responsiveness from the tire combo, standard ground clearance of the LR, but not as firm of a ride as the Performance. Great for a daily. And between the 19s and 20s, I felt a difference on turn in and how flat it feels laterally. Not as good as our P3D, but better than our X Performance on 20s.

(But who knows what Tesla will spec for the EU)

I drove the LR with Geminis, the LR with Inductions, and the Performance back to back to back. In terms of ride/handling, I thought the LR with Inductions was a great compromise. You get a little better responsiveness from the tire combo, standard ground clearance of the LR, but not as firm of a ride as the Performance. Great for a daily. And between the 19s and 20s, I felt a difference on turn in and how flat it feels laterally. Not as good as our P3D, but better than our X Performance on 20s.

Very useful, thank you. It's the first time - and I've scoured the forums as much as I could - where I see feedback that the 20" improve handling. Yes, it's expected, but all I ever read was how 'the ride with the 20" is worse'.

Between handling, ride quality, and look, I think this helped me decide. So many thanks!

(But who knows what Tesla will spec for the EU)

Yeah, totally agreed. They didn't even update the specs I think, it's still listed with the original numbers (0-60mph, range, etc. are a all a bit off).

Reactions: play150
Maybe the LR has a different suspension setup in the 7 seater, but I’ve heard the same comments made before regarding body roll and from driving my LR it feels like I’m experiencing a different car.

I simply am not experiencing anything that I’d describe as significant body roll. I’m not sure the suspension travel would allow it in my specific car.

Now, I’m not drifting the thing because I don’t try to carve corners in it like a sports car, but If there’s a theory of constraints to driving fast I’d put the seats at the top of the list vs. the suspension for me.

I'm guessing the suspension is more different between the LR and the Perf than we think. With my Y, I've got three sets of wheels - 19" T-sportline setup for winter, factory Uberturbines, and aftermarket 21's. The ride quality between them is a little different but not night and day (my wife can't tell the difference for example). Even with the 19s, it still feels a little firmer than the LR. The aftermarket wheels feels almost like the 19s, probably because they are so much lighter. The Ubertubines as we all know have the stiffest ride.

Reactions: Exelion and play150
I test drove the MY LR 7 Seater earlier, and now I've just finished an overnight test drive of the MYP! I drove around casually but also tried to push the car to see how it might do in more performance oriented driving, as I typically take my car to the track 1-2 times a year.

My thoughts:

Overall the MYP was considerably better than the LR under hard driving, but I suspect that getting the acceleration boost + doing some suspension work could mitigate many of the LR's shortcomings in this realm. Of course, this would be extra $ and the price would surpass the MYP slightly - but you get 7 seats! The achilles heel of the LR + accel boost + suspension work might be the always-on traction control though, since the MYP is supposedly going to get track mode at some point.

Yes, I know that a Model 3 might be better for the track, but I was just testing the Model Ys out to see how they might do on the track since I really want the 7 seats.
Golf =3120lbs curb weight, wheelbase 103.6", 18" wheels 235 tires
MYLR = 4416lbs curb weight (MYP same), 113.8" wheelbase, 18" wheels, 245 tires (MYP 21" 275 tires)
M3 = 3750 lbs

Apples and Oranges
MY = 35% more weight, 10% longer wheelbase (more leverage on suspension), much heavier unsprung weight of wheels and tires.
MY suspension (LR or P) is a known weakness and opinions are highly subjective based on prior experience, driving style, and understanding.

The Model Y is what it is. The good news is it's reasonably priced (or WAS) and aftermarket kit is available to address driver tastes.
The further good news is the SuperCharger network, as well as so many Tesla cars are out in the wild now, more support can be had, including this website.

The MY is a daily driver and grocery-getter, with lots of room for stuff. It's very good at that. Hence it's popularity.
As such, it's not a Porsche, you cannot expect to track the car without some significant mods, suspension first among them.
Look at the posts here on TMC regarding UPP, MPP, and Redwood Motorsports suspension offerings.

The Tesla Model 3 is probably the most cost effective option for track days with a good daily driver capability.
Lower weight, better aero, same motors and suspension bits as MY (in fact many suspension parts are labelled M3)

Last edited:
Reactions: tm1v2
Golf =3120lbs curb weight, wheelbase 103.6", 18" wheels 235 tires
MYLR = 4416lbs curb weight (MYP same), 113.8" wheelbase, 18" wheels, 245 tires (MYP 21" 275 tires)
M3 = 3750 lbs

Apples and Oranges
MY = 35% more weight, 10% longer wheelbase (more leverage on suspension), much heavier unsprung weight of wheels and tires.
MY suspension (LR or P) is a known weakness and opinions are highly subjective based on prior experience, driving style, and understanding.

The Model Y is what it is. The good news is it's reasonably priced (or WAS) and aftermarket kit is available to address driver tastes.
The further good news is the SuperCharger network, as well as so many Tesla cars are out in the wild now, more support can be had, including this website.

The MY is a daily driver and grocery-getter, with lots of room for stuff. It's very good at that. Hence it's popularity.
As such, it's not a Porsche, you cannot expect to track the car without some significant mods, suspension first among them.
Look at the posts here on TMC regarding UPP, MPP, and Redwood Motorsports suspension offerings.

The Tesla Model 3 is probably the most cost effective option for track days with a good daily driver capability.
Lower weight, better aero, same motors and suspension bits as MY (in fact many suspension parts are labelled M3)
I ended up getting the Model 3 and it is great on the track! You can def still feel the weight though. The only real downside is that one 20 min track session going hard ate 25% of the battery 😩

Reactions: MY-user and tm1v2
Hmm not sure if the chill mode on the P is same as standard on the LR. I have both, but I have not tried the chill mode on my P yet. The chill mode on my LR feels like a Prius IMO, and I have tried chill mode on model S's too, which are really slow as well. I doubt that P's chill mode isn't as fast as the LR standard mode. I guess I have to try this out haha
LR is pretty fast IMO, and yes the P definitely kicks harder and takes off aggressively than the LR.