Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR Austin Build Have Matrix Headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of austin build LRAWD MY yesterday. PAXX42XXX. white/black/5s/19". No USS, or Matrix headlights from what I can tell :(((. did come with cargo cover and comfort suspension, I think (although I don't really know what to compare it to since I haven't ridden in one before).

Has anyone with recent delivery of Austin-built MYLR have Matrix Headlights? VIN is PA044XXX.
2023 MIT MY LR and no Matrix headlights

Attachments

• 20221231_133608.jpg
    20221231_133608.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 543
Mine is Fremont built and scheduled for delivery. PF64 is the sequence.
My SA told that it doesn’t have Matrix Head Lights. Based on SA comments I don’t think all Fremont build model y has matrix headlights
Wow looks like this is a full crap shoot. No idea who will get what. Unless your SA doesn't know what he is talking about (possible but less likely).

As per this post: Matrix Headlights on LR Y?

Almost everyone was having Matrix lights till 34. And now suddenly 64 doesn't have it. :rolleyes:🤔

Reactions: woolymammoth17
Interesting! This is the first recent VIN from Fremont that I have seen without Matrix.
It is only the first VIN in the past month or so. Before that it was always a crapshoot and it may go back to being a crapshoot. They did a couple months of only Matrix from ~Aug-Oct...then in Oct-Nov it was a mixed bag. Then ~Dec-Jan was all Matrix. Now if this latest report is true they may be back to a mix or all the way back to no matrix like they were 2020-mid2022.

Is there a way to get Freemont VIN? Or alternatively, if I get an Austin VIN, can I reject it and wait for a Freemont VIN?
You can reject an Austin VIN one time. But you can't reject the 2nd VIN without cancelling your order and reordering.
Musk had said that he wanted Austin to supple the East and Fremont the West but so far that hasn't materialized as Californians have gotten Austin VINs.
If you want to guarantee a Fremont VIN you would need to order White seats and/or 7 seats because so far I don't think those have been made in Austin.

Or get an MYP and guarantee Matrix!!

I wonder if at some point when they go all matrix all the time, and your non matrix car needs a headlight replacement (ex. accident) they will put in matrix and reconfig car sw or still have the old reflector just for replacements only. 🤔
It seems it is as simple as plugging in one headlight or the other. Software versions are the same between cars. Currently there are no matrix features in Tesla software. If Tesla ever enables Matrix features (I wouldn't bet on it as they don't even have Matrix features in Europe even though Europe has allowed Matrix features for years) then if you swap in a set of Matrix lights I think it would just work.

They seem to swap between the lights at random, probably one line has a box of matrix and the next one to their right has a box of non-matrix. There was that 2-3 week period where M3s started delivering without Matrix (of course pissing people off) and that seemed to be simple for them to do also even though M3 has had Matrix as standard on a consistent basis for a long while.

It seems it is as simple as plugging in one headlight or the other. Software versions are the same between cars. Currently there are no matrix features in Tesla software. If Tesla ever enables Matrix features (I wouldn't bet on it as they don't even have Matrix features in Europe even though Europe has allowed Matrix features for years) then if you swap in a set of Matrix lights I think it would just work.

They seem to swap between the lights at random, probably one line has a box of matrix and the next one to their right has a box of non-matrix. There was that 2-3 week period where M3s started delivering without Matrix (of course pissing people off) and that seemed to be simple for them to do also even though M3 has had Matrix as standard on a consistent basis for a long while.
There is software, the M3 sub forum about replacing it yourself says the car doesnt like the lights because the VIN is listed with reflectors instead matrix

Reactions: arbitrage000